XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Jul 11, 2020 4:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:53 am 

Hello ,
After a fruitless search on Apple.com

Wondering what is finite Mac OS if known on early 2014 MacBook Air - did update to OS Catalina

But wondering if data or info available on if / when Mac OS will no longer be available for this device

Hope this makes sense

:confused:

:coffee:

ambienttales

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:14 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Nobody outside of Apple knows what will come, but I suspect the next iteration 10.16 will sink any 2012 Mac, maybe later ones too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 11:51 am 

As just mentioned, only Apple knows what they plan. Going by past behavior, Mac models generally make it through 6-8 years of OS upgrades, but there is no fixed rule. Catalina released in 2019 still installed on some 2012 models. I think in the past if a year model is borderline then it is the low end variants that will get dropped first because they don't have the hardware that makes the cut. Of course with the next OS release that will include a bunch of models with soldered in RAM. I suspect Apple will drop a lot of these based on too-little RAM and there's nothing you can do about it if you doidn't see this coming when you first bought the computers. I am seeing a fair number of used 2014 Mac Minis out there with 4 GB RAM which makes them almost useless for anything except the original OS they had when they were first sold (and maybe not even then really). Remember that even if Apple says an OS only requires 2 GB RAM or whatever, that's so it will barely boot and maybe run TextEdit. These days 8 GB Is a realistic minimum and I wouldn't buy anything new with less than 16 GB unless you are planning on getting rid of it before the next person who owns it realizes they can't do much with it 6 years from now.

The other thing is your actual software and how much you future-proof your data files. Recently I received an email from somebody who wanted data I had generated in 1988. I was able to provide it because when I generated the files I also saved the raw data in basic spreadsheet formats. Of course few of those programs still exist but Libre Office was able to open the files. My main job was through the years to transfer the files from 360k floppies to 1.4MB floppies to Zip disks to CDs to 3 generations of HDDs. I now make a habit of saving any text files also as TextEdit (basic ASCII text). 99.5% of the work I put into something is the writing and I can always make a text file pretty again, but its the things I wrote in Multimate and Wordstar that are lost in a binary code time-bubble.

Last edited by Limnos on Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:02 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Excellent points.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:19 pm 

I suspect Apple may be in a bit of a corner on 2012 models because they sold the 2012 13" MBP until 2017.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:38 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

AHA, good point.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 7:10 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Nobody outside of Apple knows what will come, but I suspect the next iteration 10.16 will sink any 2012 Mac, maybe later ones too.

It is very likely that when 10.16 ships, nothing that is not in GPU Family 2 will allow booting. That would be Metal GPU Family 2. I'm sure that Apple will also "proactively" remove even more board IDs from support drivers in the system, and any that relied on kernel extensions, like the Mac Pro 4,1/5,1 did for their board ID support, will be removed by proxy because kernel extensions will not exist in 10.16. And from then you can figure that the removal of kexts is the second to last step in moving to ARM, since macOS will essentially have become iOS at that point and awaits only public deployment of Apple's almost certain to be ready internal builds of OS X on ARM.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 7:54 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks ST.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 1:20 pm 

Thank You to All

:coffee:

ambienttales