XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2019 5:58 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:24 pm 

Uh, oh. Same shit as with the HFS+ volume when I try to install the supplemental from the cloned APFS volume: "This software is not supported on your system." Have contacted the patcher dev about this, but wondering if it's simply a case with Mojave of not allowing one to reapply/reinstall the same update? Never had this issue with any prior OS. Reinstalls of supplemental/sec updates no longer allowed?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:52 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

No idea if it's the same thing, but I & several others could not apply the 10.13.6 Combo to 10.13.6... I was able to after editing the Version plist per your instructions.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 4:27 pm 

That combo would have returned the build to an earlier version, which Apple doesn't like, so we had to trick it into allowing the combo by setting that plist to a build that predated whatever the build the combo would have brought in. In this case, from what I can tell, the build would stay the same.

Or maybe the supplemental standalone is viewed differently from a security update and immediately rejected, even if they are effectively the same, according to MB. Only way to know for certain would be to see if the next one is allowed or not. Or if someone running 10.14.6, same build on a supported Mac can run, or reinstall, the second supplemental.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:05 am 

You know, I bet anything there's a hardware support list inside the supplemental update. From what I recall most of the updates have to do with Macbooks, Airs, and Pros. I know for a fact both supplemental updates install on a 2012 MacBook Pro (though, admittedly, that is natively supported by Mojave). Hmm.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:41 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
You know, I bet anything there's a hardware support list inside the supplemental update. From what I recall most of the updates have to do with Macbooks, Airs, and Pros. I know for a fact both supplemental updates install on a 2012 MacBook Pro (though, admittedly, that is natively supported by Mojave). Hmm.

Maybe the answer from "Distribution," from the dmg opened with Pacifist. But don't know how to read this, as I'm seeing both "return false," then "return true." My build number is 18G103 (which is the current build as of supplemental 2, so maybe a reinstall of supplemental2 is not permitted?):

var buildNumbersArray = '18G84,18G86,18G87,18G88,18G89,18G90,18G91,18G92,18G93,18G94,18G95,18G96,18G97,18G101,18G102,18G103'.split(',');
if (buildNumbersArray.indexOf(plistKeyValue) < 0) {
return false;
}
return true;
}
function Plist6(prefix) {
var plist = system.files.plistAtPath(prefix + '/System/Library/CoreServices/SystemVersion.plist');
if (!plist) {
return false;
}
var plistKeyValue = plist['ProductBuildVersion'];
if (!plistKeyValue) {
return false;
}
if (system.compareVersions(plistKeyValue, '18G103') >= 0) {
return false;
}
return true;

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:35 pm 

Heard back from the dev:

- "system updates" refers to point updates, security and supplemental updates only.

- Standalones can't be installed, even from an APFS volume (except by modification, which would probably involve editing the Distribution file from the package, referenced above.) Must use Software Update.

Not from dev, but upon further research, discovered that SIP is disabled by default with no way to enable. Looks like Patcher can't continue to work if restricted by SIP.

So far, my main issue, besides doubting whether I would want to always run with SIP disabled, is that any items originally with black text and white background, a fair number of which there are in Firefox or Waterfox, end up with my non-metal GPU (which must be run in dark mode) as very difficult to read black text on black background. Have done a bit of editing the CSS for those in Firefox/Waterfox to change to white text -- with somewhat varying success. Would need a lot more work.

Waterfox bookmarks sidebar, for example (strong black rectangle very distracting against white background of page, but best I can come up with -- better than black on black):
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 6.53.31 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-28 at 6.53.31 PM.png [ 82.92 KiB | Viewed 255 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:09 pm 

Beginning to regret this Mojave patcher thing. Kernel Panic from new sec update 2019-001. Successfully installed finally, after cloning back the HFS+ volume, and then reapplying the patches, and then the update. Everything seems to be working OK now, except unable to boot to safe mode. Get no entry symbol on repeated attempts.

Have done the usual stuff: PRAM reset, cleared boot and kernel caches, checked with DU, which shows no problem with this APFS volume, but still no dice for safe mode.

Anything else to try? Recovery mode?

EDIT: Perhaps a clue here? Eventually did the PRAM reset from the keyboard, but when I first tried from the command line I got the following. No idea what it's supposed to mean. Most of the hits I get for this are related to Hackintosh (as a hack, seem to be analogous to this patcher software.) So perhaps it's something to do with the patcher after the sec update, which might have tried to let it install a firmware update??? Don't think there are any more firmware updates for this old iMac 10,1.

Error clearing firmware variables: (iokit/common) not permitted

Attachment:
sudo nvram -c error.png
sudo nvram -c error.png [ 29.74 KiB | Viewed 231 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 2:28 pm 

Hmm, I was wondering what 2019-001 would do.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:23 am 

Now that I've figured out what to do with the KP from a security update, and that the latest patches include a full restore of light mode (+ good idea to use font smoothing from Onyx, which improves the 10.14 appearance considerably), I'm beginning to think I might actually run this at 10.13. EOL. Not looking too shabby. Also, support forum here, with varying degrees of expertise. (The dev is overwhelmed and has day job obligations and can't reply all that quickly to direct email questions, or participate all that often in the support forum.)

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ma ... 3/page-707

If anyone gets started with this, I can offer a limited amount of help, from my limited experience.

Also:
Quote:
Important Note: If you have a machine that supports High Sierra natively, you MUST ensure you have the latest version of the system's BootROM installed if you want to boot from an APFS volume. If you have NOT previously installed High Sierra, you can download and install this package to install the latest BootROM version. When installing, ensure your system is plugged in to power, or the update will not be installed.
http://dosdude1.com/mojave/#requirements

Last edited by WZZZ on Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:33 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks W... last thing I want to do is have a drive concerted to APFS. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:42 am 

I set up a Mojave APFS partition (clone from the HFS) on an external with 3 other HFS volumes -- as you suggested earlier to get updates. Haven't had any problems to speak of there (except a little KP, which is remedied easily enough.) But wouldn't consider running the APFS on the internal, that would have to stay HFS.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2019 11:51 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah yes, now I remember, thanks again.