XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:08 am 

Squishy Tia, to the extent you feel like sharing your expertise, I have some questions.
My hack has happily been masquerading as a MacPro 5,1 since 2010 and currently running Mojave almost perfectly. I'm in no great rush to jump into Catalina but since my system has been deemed 'unsupported' by Apple, eventually I may have to figure out a work around. I would like your thoughts on these possibilities I have found so far.

1. This from insanely mac seems like a good possibility. Although I wonder about updates failing due to SMBIOS check. The positive would be that my hardware really matches a MacPro 5,1 very closely so system seems to work very well (at least right now).

2. Change SMBIOS to something else and hope that it still functions. In fact in order to even download the Catalina installer I had to temporarily boot to a spoofed iMac14,2. I wonder if my system will operate at peak performance with that or perhaps MacPro 6,1 SMBIOS. The positive is updates will presumably be easy.

3. This option is one I've always wondered about. The use of dosdude's patcher for unsupported Macs (real Macs not Hacks). The question is will the use of this tool work on a hackintosh? It seems possible to me in the sense that the installation is one thing while booting after install would still be handled by Clover. Have you heard of this working?

I appreciate your thoughts. Trial and error is likely my only other alternative and I don't look forward to that like I used to.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 9:06 pm 

Make a backup of your clover install (it's on your boot drive's EFI partition if you used clover - if you used Chameleon you're fucked), and then open Clover Configurator with the EFI partition mounted, click on the config.plist in the upper leftmost selection on the botton half of the window (EFI > Clover > config.plist). Go into the RtVariables tab and copy your MLB number to the clipboard and paste it into a text file and/or clipping. Go into the SMBIOS section and do the same for your Serial number (not the board serial number, just the plain serial number). This is necessary if you wish to keep your iMessages capabilities.

You can select your machine via the pulldown menu at the right. If your IGP is enabled, select the iMac14,2 profile. If the IGP is disabled or your CPU has none, select the iMac14,3 profile. Once done, you can paste your serial number back into the field, and then do the same for the MLB in the RtVariables pane and save the configuration and reboot.

As long as you keep a backup of your current Clover install, preferrably on the USB installer you created to install the system with, you can boot from that drive and use its Clover booter to pick your main system volume so you can then mount the EFI partition and simply copy over the original config.plist into the /EFI/EFI/Clover/ directory and reboot to restore your current functionality.

What you're doing is essentially changing your system profile, but keeping your serial number and MLB for iMessage compatibility. You don't need to bother with the two numbers if you don't use that particular app. That's the only thing that checks your hardware specific info. The OS will show whatever model was originally associated with your current MLB and serial number in the About this Mac window, but will show the proper iMac14,2 identifier in System Info. The About this Mac display is purely cosmetic and nothing that checks for machine type uses that info, so you're fine there.

For my upcoming rig, I get to use the new iMac 19,1 or 19,2 identifier as I'll be using a much more recent CPU. But I'll have NVMe at least. :)

Edit: You may also wish to change the XMP Detection to Yes in the Boot tab, if you have RAM that has an XMP profile. It's a big speed boost. Setting it to No worked for the MP3,1 and 5,1 sysdefs, but for iMac sysdefs XMP detection should be enabled so you get the full speed of your RAM. This one is easy to revert if it causes problems.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2019 2:56 pm 

Thanks Squishy Tia, I think I get it!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:06 am 

I've managed to install a working version of Catalina on an experimental external drive for testing purposes. I'm not in any hurry to make a quick jump to it though as it relegates several useful applications to non functional... they are probably 32 bit apps. I'm happy staying with H. Sierra and Mojave as long as the updates continue. I must say this Hackintosh I built has been a great machine and 9 years later still provides plenty of punch for my needs. I'm glad to have a path forward with it when a switch to the new OS becomes a necessity.

Last edited by db5owat on Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:01 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Good work.:D

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:04 am 

I may have been to quick to declare complete success. I've been testing and realize when I finally attempted to go online that I have no detected ethernet.

I have been using the very popular 'works out of the box' PCI ethernet card "Apple" Marvell Yukon Gigabit Adapter 88E8053. It was a great choice because my internet (ethernet) always just worked. That holds true from every OS upgrade from Leopard through Mojave. That appears to stop with the Catalina upgrade. The attached pic shows what that card looks like booted in Mojave...
Attachment:
Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 12.36.42 PM.png
Screen Shot 2019-10-21 at 12.36.42 PM.png [ 67.45 KiB | Viewed 217 times ]

Again it has always just worked no extra kext files or anything. After Catalina it just shows "This computer contains no ethernet cards" or something very similar to that....and obviously there is no internet. The wifi card also no longer works. It is the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 Wireless Dual Band PCI Express Adapter. It too has always just worked OOTB.

I know this is very 'Hack-centric' but does anyone have any ideas?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:14 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Looks like DodDude again...

Finally, successfully installed Catalina beta 6 on MB4,1 with much stable and workable WIFI and ethernet. The steps are the following:
1. Delete "AMDRadeonX3000GLDriver.bundle" from patch folder of your macOS Pather tool.
2. Copy WIFI and ethernet kexts files(including "corecapture.kext","CoreCaptureResponder.kext","IO80211Family.kext","AppleYukon2.kext","nvenet.kext" which can be found in dosdude's patcher tool) to MacBook 4,1 folder.
3. Modify the patch.sh to add WIFI and ethernet command lines.
4. Create the installer USB disk with above modified macOS Pather tool.
5. Install the OS and patch.
Here is my modified patch.sh file, could be used as reference. Thanks again for your genius and wonderful work to make the latest OS be able to run on this 10 years' old machine!
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ma ... 2/page-160

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:31 pm 

Hello, blind squirrel here! I now have wifi and ethernet. I wish I could report that it was due to my clever tweaking. I guess that might be half right! I played around borrowing kext files from my working Mojave and adding them into Catalina. My thought was that if Apple deemed the MacPro no longer supported perhaps they withdrew the kext files that enabled networking on those machines with Catalina OS. Anyway my mucking about succeeded! Honestly I think it was the addition of two kext plugins.

•IO80211Family.kext
•IONetworkingFamily.kext

Those were the last two I moved and then rebuilt cache files with kext Utility and bingo internet abounds.

I hope this might help someone somewhere.

Thanks once again folks! :)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:34 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work, thanks. :)