XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:05 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:33 pm 

Hello friends. Seems like I come here right before a trip when I run into a problem. Here we go again.

I ran into trouble doing a regular backup.  I have about 5 Hard drives onto which I do backups so one failing is not a big issue, but just a worry.
I have several hard drives that I keep in our safe deposit box and do backups on periodically, just for safe keeping away from the house.
I tried doing a routine backup of my iMac just now and ran into a terrible problem.
The HD is partitioned but has never given trouble before.

I am still running El Capitan, on my iMac. I run SuperDuper version 3.2.4 and haven’t ever had this problem before.
I got this error screen
Attachment:
superduper failed cropped.jpg
superduper failed cropped.jpg [ 57.32 KiB | Viewed 31 times ]

The log had a lot of words, but ended with this in red which I assume is where the error occurred:
| 07:30:11 PM | Info |       Unable to remove ACLs for directory /Volumes/500GB iMac El Cap SafeBOX due to underlying error Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=22 "Invalid argument" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to clear permissions from file security object /Volumes/500GB iMac El Cap SafeBOX, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Invalid argument}
| 07:30:11 PM | Info |       ACLs in force: (null)
| 07:30:11 PM | Info |       Developer
| 07:30:11 PM | Info |       Unable to remove ACLs for directory /Volumes/500GB iMac El Cap SafeBOX/Developer due to underlying error Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=22 "Invalid argument" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to clear permissions from file security object /Volumes/500GB iMac El Cap SafeBOX/Developer, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Invalid argument}
| 07:30:11 PM | Info |       ACLs in force: (null)
| 07:30:11 PM | Error | Unable to remove ACLs for /Volumes/500GB iMac El Cap SafeBOX due to underlying error Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=22 "Invalid argument" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to clear permissions from file security object /Volumes/500GB iMac El Cap SafeBOX, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Invalid argument}
| 07:30:12 PM | Error | Unable to remove ACLs for /Volumes/500GB iMac El Cap SafeBOX/Developer due to underlying error Error Domain=NSPOSIXErrorDomain Code=22 "Invalid argument" UserInfo={NSLocalizedDescription=Failed to clear permissions from file security object /Volumes/500GB iMac El Cap SafeBOX/Developer, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Invalid argument}

I tried to eject the HD and sort out what was going on but I wasn’t able to eject the HD using any of the methods I know.
In Finder, when I clicked the little eject button nothing happened and worse than that - each partition looked empty!
Disk Utility spun its gear when I tried going that route, but DU wouldn’t show the disk partitions - just a spinning gear.
I quit the Finder and that didn’t work.
Nothing happened when we tried to relaunch it.
Finally I had to restart and got a message on the restart that there was a problem at shut down but it gave a countdown to restart and iMac finally did start up again.

Is the problem with the external HD? or is it something worse??
I have lots of SuperDuper backups so that is not a huge issue ( I can recreate everything on the drive from the iMac and from our photos stored on other drives - but I am just concerned where the problem lies and worried that this may occur with our other rugged LaCie that I take as one of the externals for backup while we are traveling.

Any ideas what all this means?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 7:07 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sounds like the problem is on the external.

#1: Did you exclude the external from Spotlight indexing?

#2, do you have DiskWarrior?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:13 am 

Just got to the iMac - running late today.
Thanks BDA for the speedy reply.

Good to hear you think it's the external HD (which is still under warranty but this probably isn't a warranty issue)
#1 yes (except for the external) and my USB hub - does this count as an external? It's what the HD was plugged into - it's a powered hub that I've always used for this. I don't think I have an available USB port on the back - the keyboard goes into one.
#2 no

I sent an error report to SuperDuper! when this occured.
Here's Dave's suggestion:
It looks like your destination volume failed during the backup. Please power off both the Mac and the backup drive. Wait a few minutes, and then simplify your peripherals to just the drive (if there was anything else attached - especially an iSight, iPod or hub).

Power back up, and then use Disk Utility to repair the destination volume (use "Disk First Aid"). Repeat until there are no errors indicated.

When that's done, give it another try, and let me know if that helps!

I'll try the DU repair with Disk first aid and see what happens.

What was really strange to me was that I couldn't eject though all the drives were paled out on the desktop.
They did still show in the finder sidebar - with the eject button which didn't work - BUT they showed nothing in them.

I'm getting a cup of coffee adn then printing the vital stuff for the trip and then attempting Disk First Aid.

There are lots of partitions - does DFA work on the whole drive or do I get to choose the one partition that gave the trouble first - the one onto which I was doing the backup??

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:40 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Spotlight can be a pest, exclude any drive you use for Backup.

DFA can check any Partition you choose.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:58 pm 

Success!

Spotlight is not the issue = as I answered your question - did I exclude the external from spotlight - yes, I did.

I powered off and powered on.
I plugged in the external.
It cam up with all the partitions full of the stuff that is supposed to be in them.
I ran disk first aid on the partition I was working on last night.
I did a SuperDuper! backup and all went well.

Thanks!!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:59 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great to hear, good work. :)