XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat May 25, 2019 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 05, 2019 11:27 am 

Limnos wrote:
OTOH I am now open to every advertiser, every tracker, and having to use ASC just as Apple wants me to use it. :lol: Now I would have to keep on using it this way for another 12 hours or so to see if it has any effect upon the swapfile problem…

That doesn't sound good. I wouldn't want to run wide open like that for more than a few minutes. What about adding them back in one at a time to see the effect.

Also, getting what may be some useful hits with this search:

memory leak site:https://www.reddit.com/r/waterfox/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:06 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
/private/var/vm/ is where virtual memory lives, although I don't believe it's cleared on reboot

It should be cleared. Some systems start with zero swap, others with a single file (swapfile0).

Sluggishness can be proportional to the number of swap files, but it's the swapping itself that takes time.

Dunno if you've seen this, but there's a lot under /var/folders. /var/folders/zz belongs to the system. /var/folders/[two random chars] is yours. You'll find subdirs 0, C, and T in there. Just let them be. You could try removing it all immediately before a cold boot, but not otherwise, and you may need another cold boot again before the system gets back in order. They're caching things all over the place today (Mojave and perhaps earlier). Your defaults won't work the same way as a result.

Sluggishness is usually down to building up too much swap, but YMMV.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2019 11:20 pm 

Limnos wrote:
Just did another reboot. Gained 13 GB this time. Any idea how I could track down what is using so much space?

It's hard to track what's gone away, but you can track what's been added, yes. You can use find from the command line. Immediately you cold boot and log in, create a file (any kind, eg empty text file) then save it and guard it and don't touch it. Then, when you're ready to reboot (but still have time on your hands) run the find command from the command line. Check the syntax (it changes all the time). What you want is the switch '-newer'. That'll flag all files created after the time you created that first file. Remember to run find with sudo and search from root, and redirect your output to a file, eg >~/Documents/find.txt. Wait on the find command until you get the prompt back again, then take a look after you reboot. If you're on Mojave, ignore the stuff generated by 'ULAT', cos that'll generate a lot (it's always on).

PostPosted: Tue Mar 12, 2019 8:04 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Welcome aboard Rixstep ! :welcome:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2019 9:41 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Dunno if you've seen this, but there's a lot under /var/folders. /var/folders/zz belongs to the system.

I've read where you're to not touch the zz folder, yet I've seen twice where clearing that was a cure, do you know more about this?