XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Thu Mar 21, 2019 3:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:40 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Awhile back I installed SecUpd2018-003, it gave me such a pain oon trying to install... it rook hours to finish & never admitted it was installed, though it disappeared from AppStore Updates.

I Downloaded SecUpd2019-006 521.8 MB, but never installed it, now I have SecUpd2019-001 832.9 MB, Is it going to be good enough to just install the latest Update?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:35 pm 

Good question and I'm not entirely sure.

If you install the OS to the latest combo update (at least under 10.12.6), the app store usually asks you to install two different security updates - an older one, I think 2018-003 or 2018-004 and then the latest one, which is 2019-001 now. If you go on autopilot and tell it to update all on its own, it'll download and queue the newer one for installation and never install the older one.

I suspect Security Updates are all combo updates because each one that comes out is always bigger than the one before it. But that's all I have to go on. I know that the Security Updates do NOT include firmware updates that the last combo update includes, which I can understand, because otherwise the updates would probably start out at Combo Update territory and grow monstrous by the time Apple decides to stop supporting their software (down to 3 years from the previous 6, which yes I'm still grumpy about).

You'd think a computer company concerned about security would document and publish information about this for older OSes they supposedly support, but it seems like once they push out the latest incarnation they don't want to even admit that the old OSes exist, except for the security updates that some dick from a few years ago who no longer works here made them commit to releasing for stupid reasons that stand in the way of me putting more buzzwords on my resume.

Sorry, I'm extra grumpy today because my coworker didn't show up to work today nor notified anyone except possibly our shared supervisor who never ever ever relays that information to anyone because they assume he's responsible. :upset:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:46 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks again MB for your thoughts... & I'm no less grumpy about the updates that only make the OS safer by making it harder for the users & developers to do anything they used to.