XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 7:50 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Oh, it's not in your App Store purchases is it? Maybe Leewave knows where it is?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:09 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Do you need an ML installer?

Have one downloaded from purchased plus the one on flash drive, both 10.8.4. Trying to run either--possibly including reinstalls from recovery-- is what messed up the current 10.8.5 (that is, after the initial mess up of absent mindedly cloning 15-20 minutes of the 10.12) as in title of this thread: apply earlier to later?

Did I misunderstand what you meant?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:25 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

No, I think I misunderstood what I forgot.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:44 am 

MB: when you get a moment, perhaps you can explain more what you had in mind by using Migration Assistant. Would have to be Migration Assistant in 10.12.

Clean Install 10.8.5 to an empty partition on the External and then use MA to move everything over from the messed up volume? Is it possible with MA to move items from one external drive partition to another?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:57 am 

I was talking about doing a clean install of 10.8.5 and then trying to use migration assistant to copy data from the messed up installation. It might not work if it sees it as a newer OS but I swear I've used MA on newer to older before.

You don't want to move everything, but you should be able to move over applications and user folder data. system settings and the like are probably dangerous territory.

If the OS is bootable or at least appears to be bootable, MA will let you select it as a source.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:47 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
If the OS is bootable or at least appears to be bootable, MA will let you select it as a source.
Could be a problem, DU sees it as bootable, but it's actually not.

Latest is that after blessing /System/Library/CoreServices/boot.efi, at option-boot the ML volume now shows up as "bootefi" instead of "ML2", what it should be, and when opened starts up to the 10.12. ("ML2" is the clone of "ML", the volume brought over from the 10.8.5 combo update with Pacifist.) Startup disk and diskutil list still see the real volume name. Ran 'sudo bless unbless' for that file, but didn't seem to make any difference.

Not sure if this means that somehow the invisible efi partition is showing as a boot option, instead of the volume, or what. It's been one thing after another. Grrrrr, very tired of all this.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:42 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/1775072

http://osxdaily.com/2016/07/28/fix-brok ... ition-mac/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:47 pm 

If the system thinks it's a bootable volume that should be all Migration Assistant cares about. It doesn't actually need to be fully bootable, it just needs to be blessed and contain the right combination of system files so it looks like an OS installation to MA.

You may still have to edit some files for it to recognize it as a 10.8.x install and not a 10.12 install, depending on whether it likes the current state of the OS, but I think it'll be a lot less of a headache than trying to turn that munged OS into a working system again... heck, maybe just setup the same users in the same order (so 501/502/503 - 1st user created/2nd user created/3rd user created - all line up) and then just copy their data over from the old install by hand. Mail and Safari could get cranky unless you copy the majority of Library over (which is partially why I suggested letting MA do it).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:04 pm 

Thanks both. I'm tempted, but in light of the miserable outcome of my efforts so far....And as I already said, I don't absolutely require a working 10.8, since I can get to anything I really care about from the root folder.

Will see what tomorrow brings.