XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 2:24 pm 

I finally got Mojave 10.14 up and running on my Hackintosh (apfs). I did a clean install so I have not yet used Migration assistant to bring over applications and familiar old home folder. Today I notice for the first time an update to 10.14.1 for Mojave. I did not see that previously because I was initially installed on a HFS+ formatted drive for which Apple apparently has decided to forgo notifications of updates. So the question is one of proper order:

Do I Migrate and then Update or Update and then Migrate? Which is most likely to create fewer problems? No problems would be swell!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:19 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I'd Migrate 1st.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:00 pm 

Before you do either, CLONE. CLONE CLONE CLONE CLONE CLONE. Backups are essential with hackintoshes!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:41 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
Before you do either, CLONE. CLONE CLONE CLONE CLONE CLONE. Backups are essential with hackintoshes!

Yes! Great advice. I did just that. However, since High Sierra I have been unable to boot from any of my external clones. This is a huge issue for me. Fortunately I do also have a TimeMachine backup & this particular upgrade/migration was seamless.

I have used both CCC & SuperDuper to clone to external drives of many varieties in several different cases & since High Sierra have the same result when trying to boot from them. I never get to clover...I get one of two results...the most common is the Boot0af: error. The second is just a blinking cursor. Even if I use a Unibeast flash stick to boot from and finally get to Clover I can never see any of the external drives in the boot menu. I've tried F3 to "add all options" and still no external drives show in menu. It is very frustrating and makes having a bootable back up much less useful.

I've read How to fix the boot0af error for your Hackintosh but it is not clear to me exactly how to proceed.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:40 am 

To boot from an external you must use one of three methods:

1) Boot from the USB installer you made that has your clover backup on its EFI partitiion and select the external drive when it shows up in the clover menu.

2) Boot from the main drive with your clover install and select the external instead of your normally used internal drive.

3) Boot from the external after you have copied your internal drive's clover EFI folder to the EFI partition on the external drive so that it can act as a standalone drive. The drive may take a few seconds longer to show up in the clover menu if it's a USB based drive, so to prevent clover from auto-booting after five seconds (or your currently set time in the clover config file), hit the right arrow on the keyboard when the drives first appear so the timer stops and the clover bootloader waits so you can get the external drive to show up.

#1 is the "OH SHIT!" method where you borked something but need to boot, so you use the USB flash drive's copy of clover to boot into your internal drive so you can fix the internal drive's clover install. #3 should only be necessary if you intend to use the drive as a standalone, but is also useful if you ever use it to replace the internal drive as it'll have a copy of clover to boot from. You'll need to modify your BIOS boot order when replacing the internal drive. #2 is the best way to boot into any drive for a hackintosh. I use this for when my OS needs help and I have to boot to my backup OS drive that I regularly update.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:28 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
To boot from an external you must use one of three methods:

1) Boot from the USB installer you made that has your clover backup on its EFI partitiion and select the external drive when it shows up in the clover menu.

2) Boot from the main drive with your clover install and select the external instead of your normally used internal drive.

3) Boot from the external after you have copied your internal drive's clover EFI folder to the EFI partition on the external drive so that it can act as a standalone drive. The drive may take a few seconds longer to show up in the clover menu if it's a USB based drive, so to prevent clover from auto-booting after five seconds (or your currently set time in the clover config file), hit the right arrow on the keyboard when the drives first appear so the timer stops and the clover bootloader waits so you can get the external drive to show up.

#1 is the "OH SHIT!" method where you borked something but need to boot, so you use the USB flash drive's copy of clover to boot into your internal drive so you can fix the internal drive's clover install. #3 should only be necessary if you intend to use the drive as a standalone, but is also useful if you ever use it to replace the internal drive as it'll have a copy of clover to boot from. You'll need to modify your BIOS boot order when replacing the internal drive. #2 is the best way to boot into any drive for a hackintosh. I use this for when my OS needs help and I have to boot to my backup OS drive that I regularly update.

Thank you Squishy Tia. A very clear and concise description. I think I have inadvertently used each of those methods over the past years hackintoshing, but it is quite helpful to see it all in one spot and to reflect on the subtle variations of each method.

For sake of conversation, I think I'm running into some issues related to my system being quite a legacy one these days. I am still using my 1366 MB and a Xeon 5650 CPU with a MacPro 5,1 (mid 2010) SIMBIOS. That with the shift to APFS has made getting Mojave installed and stable a bigger issue than I once thought. In fact, I prematurely declared a successful Mojave install. I did NOT follow BDA's advice to migrate first in response to my topic question. I should have followed that advice. I was too quick to update. I updated to 10.14.1 and then migrated. I thought it was easy peazy at first but soon my system revealed itself to be very unstable and Mojave started to cause the system to panic resulting in the system shutting down almost immediately on login. I'm pretty sure the system was stable prior to migrating though. The 10.14.1 upgrade took a very long time to complete but did seem stable before I migrated from High Sierra. Here is my set up as it relates to Clover booting...

High Sierra (still main system) on SSD Evo 850 (HFS+) booting with Clover version r4392.
Mojave (testing stage) on SSD Evo 860 (APFS) booting with Clover version r4722.
Unibeast 9 Flash drive 16GB Clover version r4630.

Your explanation above helped me use my TimeMachine to recover to Mojave 10.14 & create a functional standalone bootable system for each OSX. I'm typing from Mojave right now.

I am a little hesitant to update to 10.14.1 and I have yet to Migrate. Any thoughts on the 10.14.1 upgrade or on Migrating from High Sierra? Thanks for the help!

*Update 1 - having same issue with Mojave 10.14 without any migration or update to 10.14.1. I log in and seconds later it crashes. It must be related to Clover options I've selected???? High Sierra has similar options accept for those related to APFS. This is really getting frustrating.

*Update 2 - I now seem to have 10.14 stable. I'm very wary about updating or migrating at this point. I've spent way too much time on this. Maybe just add an app when needed and see how that goes. Software updates has already notified me that an update is available. I guess that is good since it sees and properly identifies my system.

*Update3 - spoke too soon. Not really stable. Just occasionally crashes. High Sierra never crashes on me! I'm sure there are messages somewhere in Console but I really don't know where to look or what to look for.