XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: SMTP servers disappear.
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 9:15 am 
Benevolent Dictator

OS 10.12.6, problem with Mail, other SMTP servers disappear when I add one, & though the other SMTP servers are shown & can be chosen, Edit SMTP servers only shows the new one.

In the past, messing around I could get back the other ones but not sure of the steps.

Attachments:
MailSMTP.gif
MailSMTP.gif [ 27.98 KiB | Viewed 164 times ]
MailNoSMTP.gif
MailNoSMTP.gif [ 18.09 KiB | Viewed 165 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 2:04 pm 

I've had pretty good luck disabling all the automatic server settings, although I haven't noticed it removing any SMTP servers, I have seen it "automatically" adjust server settings to ones that simply don't work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 3:54 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB, but how does one go about disabling all the automatic server settings?

Been fighting this thing for month, once doing the new SMTP server, Connection Doctor didn't even show it was trying any other SMTPs, choosing original SMTP servers for the other 2 would show Offline then revert to the one new server, Edit SMTP server list only showed the one new one, trying to add ny there would not work.

Yesterday I'd saved up enough dat to apply the -002 Security update. Today Connection Doctor shows all other SMTPs connecting fine & faster than I've ever seen, choosing original SMTP servers for the other 2 would sticks now, Edit SMTP server list still only shows the one new one, hven't tried to add any since they all work.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:05 pm 

In the old mail you see those "automatically manage connection settings" checkboxes? You used to uncheck them. They moved them to another spot in 10.11/10.12 but they're still around.

If you click on "Google" in the 2nd spot, you should have an "edit servers" option down at the bottom of the drop-down list. This should bring up another window which allows you to edit SMTP settings.

It's really confusing and I really don't like that Apple did this. I'm sure somebody in Apple got the bright idea to re-invent the wheel and change what wasn't broken, thereby breaking it in the process. It's like someone goes "this wasn't written by me!" and gets greenlit to write a replacement for no other reason than that.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:59 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
If you click on "Google" in the 2nd spot, you should have an "edit servers" option down at the bottom of the drop-down list. This should bring up another window which allows you to edit SMTP settings.

It should be, always has been in the past, but now that box has but one entry no matter which account I choose, & the tiny + icon there hasn't ended up adding anything after inputting stuff.

I've never understood why the Mail account prefs are so discomboomberated. Seems each account could/should have all it's settings in on window.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 12:18 pm 

Mail.app is just a complete mess from top to bottom. Saying I loathe it is a massive understatement.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:02 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I'd have to agree.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:20 pm 
Master

Apple Mail how do I love thee, let me count the ways:

Yup, that's about it. That's a lot faster than listing all the ways I hate thee. I wonder if it still mangles plain text files added as attachments? I think it actually has code to taunt people. I know it still randomly automatically deletes your email password(s) when it can't contact the server: "OH NOES! I can't open a TCP connection to the server!!! You'd better reenter your server password! Hehehe..." :nothappy: "Oh I see you've carefully configured your server settings...now I'll change them for you to something guaranteed not to work. You're welcome!" :nothappy: "Click the unlabeled arrow button to reply...or possibly forward or something else: there are only three of them so it won't take you long to guess the right one." :( "Hehe, GOT YA! You thought the 'Accounts' menu item would let you edit your email server settings! HAHAHA!! That one gets you every time, you rube!"

Yeah, I don't like Apple Mail.

- Anonymous