XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 3:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:34 am 

I've had many Finder crashes over the years and never paid much attention to them because they weren't repetitive and there didn't appear to be a pattern.

But just now, I simply attempted a Get Info on a webloc file (an internet bookmark) and Finder crashed. When it restored, thinking it was a fluke, I tried the Get Info again. Crash. And again, crash.

Is this normal behavior? I can't imagine why a Get Info wouldn't work the same with weblocs as it does with any other file.

And, the cause aside for a moment, following Finder crashes, is it a good practice to either log out and back in, do a full restart, or do nothing at all?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 10:57 am 
Benevolent Dictator

First, Safe Boot , (holding Shift key down at bootup), use Disk Utility from there to Repair Permissions, test if things work OK in Safe Mode.

Then move these files to the Desktop...

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.finder.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.sidebarlists.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.desktop.plist

/Users/YourUserName/Library/Preferences/com.apple.recentitems.plist

Reboot & test.

PS. Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:26 am 

Thanks, BD. I realize, now, I should've Googled the problem first. I am far from alone. It seems, since Apple updated Safari to version 12, that many others are reporting the same or similar issue. Some are reverting to a previous version of Safari. I tried, but it appears I'll have to first boot from a clone because the OS won't allow any modifications to Safari under normal circumstances.

EDIT: But, now that I think further, I'm going to guess that simply reverting to the earlier Safari version won't solve this. As Safari is part of the OS, I'm thinking it's more likely that something else in the architecture that was changed created this problem and it won't be fixed by replacing just the app without also reverting the changes to the architecture. So I'll just try to remember not to do a Get Info or Quick Look on webloc files until after Safari is updated again.

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:11 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

AH, good work on your part, the underlying thing of Safari & so many other things is WebKit.

If you decided to try those files I mentioned, you can always move them back if you want.

Does a New Admin user have the same problem?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:41 pm 

One way to try to see what's happening is to launch Console first and then try to get info. Make sure you've set Console for All Messages, and it must be open in order to sample in 10.12 and later. When the crash occurs, check the lines that appear in Console. It may very well clue you in to what's going on.

Also, with no Finder windows open, press CMD-J to open the global Views preferences window and uncheck "Show icon preview". .Webloc files are very likely to try to cache whatever their URL shows when getting info on them. Perhaps disabling that feature will prevent the crash.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:56 am 

BD: I followed your suggestions. I booted in Safe Mode and, while DIsk Utility no longer offers the option to Repair Permissions, I was able to do that with Onyx. After that, the Finder crash still occurs when either doing a Get Info or Quick Look on a webloc file.

As for moving those four preference files to the desktop, there were no preference files for either desktop or recent items. But I moved the other two to the desktop and rebooted, but the Finder crash still occurred.

I created a new Admin user account and logged in with it, but did not check for the Finder crash because I noticed that my Audio 1 external drive had not mounted, and fixing that became my new priority.

Tia: Thus far, I've tried unchecking "Show Icon Preview" in Finder preferences, but that had no effect. But I will next try your Console suggestion.