XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2019 7:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:19 am 

During middle of security update 2018-005 on Mini asked to restart. When I clicked restart got dialog "there is a user sharing this computer if you restart they will be disconnected." Ran the same update on the iMac yesterday and wasn't presented with this.

Don't understand "user sharing this computer." Is the user in question the 2 admin users/accounts? I'm running standard. If so, strange because they are not "sharing." I do have sharing turned on to connect over Ethernet to the iMac, but wasn't connected with sharing during the update, and besides, if it's something wireless, I'm behind the router with a very strong password. Never saw this before.

Could it be something peculiar to this update and the Mini only? Was there a firmware update included? Wondering about that because near the end of the update I was presented with a message to connect to iCloud for Facetime, etc., which I declined. Shouldn't be getting that from a garden variety sec update, I would think. And then, weirdly, was presented with message about "setting up your Mac," as if this was an OS install, not a run of the mill security update. Guest user is off.

EDIT: viewing the standalone security update with Pacifist, I'm seeing any number of firmware items. But can't be sure if any would have applied to an older 2010 Mini.

Last edited by WZZZ on Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:33 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I've never seen so many complaints on Apple's forum about a Security Update, mostly the 10.13..6 one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:08 am 

BDAqua wrote:
I've never seen so many complaints on Apple's forum about a Security Update, mostly the 10.13..6 one.

Interesting, haven't looked at any of that, but looks like the 10.12 has much in common with the 10.13.

Still, why did I get this dialog only with the Mini, not also with the iMac? Ran all sorts of commands for users, didn't see anything unusual. But that was after the update/restart. Might run the standalone later to see if I get same behavior.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:14 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Sorry, I can only venture a guess... Apple's servers have some crossed wires.

The update link for this security update for 10.13.6 only installs Mojave.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8610384

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:16 pm 

Is -005 out now?

Dammit I finally got my last lab up to -004 yesterday. I've inherited someone else's mess so the going in them is slow.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:52 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Sorry, I can only venture a guess... Apple's servers have some crossed wires.

The update link for this security update for 10.13.6 only installs Mojave.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8610384

That's a good one. You think you're running a sec update, and instead you get an installer. Not from the standalone (ran that over the one from SU to see how things would behave), which didn't do anything strange, but the first one from SU might have gotten a little confused when it asked me to sign in to iCloud and then briefly acted like it had just run an installer before it came to its senses. Looking through the firmware items in the standalone, don't find anything for the Mini, but will have to check later to see if it wanted to do anything with the iMac.

Btw, BD, was searching thread from last year with ab2, who provided the command to get the board ID, to see what machines were affected by the firmware update in that sec update. His last login here was 12/17. Not here for very long, but he was good. Have you heard anything? Why he suddenly disappeared? You seemed to have known him from ASC.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:35 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

No idea what happened, gve you tried PM or eMailing him?

Must be from ASC, but my photographic memory has born soaking in the developer too long & there's no fixing it.

PS. just figured out who it is, will PM you the name...