XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:20 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Quick thoughts on Mojave
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:44 pm 

I managed to get Mojave on my Hackintosh. As recent new OSX versions go I have to say so far it is pleasant with some useful features along with some I don't really care much about. I like the stacks feature for example but not all that excited about the new dark mode that seems to garner so much attention.
I did notice one thing that didn't really surprise me but is just another little sneakiness on Apple's part. Fairly recently Apple stopped keeping copies of your "purchased" OSX operating systems in the purchased tab of the App Store? On High Sierra App Store I still see those older OSX versions 'purchased' prior to that decision. However, on Mojave those older OSX versions do not appear anywhere in purchase history. Not a single OSX version shows in purchased tab. They are probably still attainable somewhere but not on the purchased tab. Just another example of them exerting control. I'm not a fan of that.

I installed Mojave on an SSD formatted HFS plus. I may go APFS at some point but right now I'm exerting my own form of control over that. Mojave seems snappy and responsive on my system and after some significant challenges getting it installed I find it functioning very nicely on my system. At this point I'm really just trying to extend the usable life of my system. So far so good.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 3:59 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

So, what is this Dark Mode about anyway?

Only seen one screen shot that looked totally non-productive.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:48 pm 
Master

Some people prefer dark backgrounds. They may find the darker overall appearance easier on the eyes, or it may give the feeling of higher contrast, or it may be less distracting when concentrating on the content of your application.

For example, when I'm programming I much prefer my code appear on a dark background. It's a little less fatiguing and makes the syntax highlighting coloration a little easier to see. I'm not sure I'd want the entire OS to look like that, but I can't disagree with having a choice.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:57 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
So, what is this Dark Mode about anyway?

Only seen one screen shot that looked totally non-productive.

I agree with Anon on the dark mode feature. It is easier on the eyes but I find it slightly distracting. I think that may be due to me being more & more tied to a completely familiar look and feel. My eye is more quickly drawn to familiar look and I haven't spent enough time on dark mode to know the long term desirability. It seems illogical that a simple change like this could be distracting. Maybe I'll get used to it and appreciate It more in time. It reminds me of several Linux distributions, most recently the new Manjaro has a similar dark look and feel. It is nice to have the option.

There is also a nice desktop/screensaver option that is a minor but pleasant change. It provides a nice 'dynamic wallpaper' of a desert sand dune. The wallpaper changes gently and in a nuanced way to coordinate with the time of day. Here is a sped up video of the 24 hour shifting dynamic wallpaper (no popcorn required). I don't think it will effect productivity much.
Mojave Dynamic Wallpaper