XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:15 am 

Remember the archive utility StuffIt? I think I was one of the first to buy it when it was still being distributed as shareware by its developer, Raymond Lau (before Aladdin Systems). With StuffIt, you could create a compressed archive and later add files to it.

But now that OS X offers the ability to create zip archives, is there a way to add files to those? (It's become tediously difficult to find answers to specific questions via the search engines over the past year or so.)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 5:01 am 
Benevolent Dictator

You can use Terminal...
Quote:
wrldwzrd89
macrumors G5
wrldwzrd89

man zip
...at the shell prompt explains all the options. Concisely:
To add a few files to an existing zip archive:

zip /path/to/zipfile.zip file1 file2 file3
To add an entire directory full of files, along with all subdirectories it contains:

cd /path/to/directory/to/add
zip -r /path/to/zipfile.zip *
Careful with that second command - it'll add EVERYTHING, even those pesky .DS_Store files. You probably don't want those, so, here's how to fix that:

zip -d /path/to/zipfile.zip *.DS_Store

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/ho ... le.683350/

Or possibly BetterZip...

https://macitbetter.com

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:50 am 

Depending upon what you are doing you could also consider using a sparse image. I use a password protected one for storing a list of other passwords as text files. You can then add other files and the image will grow as needed.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 10:23 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, excellent idea! :)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:11 am 

Apple's tools just let you create zips (compress from finder) and extract files from them, while third party tools open the zip in a window and let you drag items in and out like it was a folder.

I've used BetterZip before, though not recently so no promises on its safety in this malware-laden age. That it is a paid program though bodes well since they shouldn't need to resort to malware payloads to pay their bills.

Also, it looks like Pacifist handles zip files. That's probably even less risky.

The great thing about staying away from Apple-proprietary formats is that no matter what the future holds, you'll probably be able to open a zip file 10 years from now... Apple's disk images? No guarantees. I still have some .dart files lurking around, which was Apple's original compressed image format (.dmg back then was uncompressed).

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 2:25 pm 

Again it depends upon the objective. I haven't used any utilities which let you edit a zip file as such. Do they also let you open a file that is inside the zip archive without actually extracting it to your drive? Or if they do, is it relatively seamless and the extracted file automatically deleted afterward?

I agree about the greater longevity of non-Apple formats but since I open my image file weekly it works pretty well for me, particularly since I don't have BetterZip or equivalent.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 4:38 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Zip 2.6 on Atari allows adding or extracting files and/or folders to/from archives in tandem windows.