XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:02 am 

Are there to be no more security updates for El Cap?

I can update the iMac and our travel MacBookPro to High Sierra (but no further).
I can't update Mr H's MBP beyond El Cap (Apple MacBook Pro "Core 2 Duo" 2.2 15" Mid/Late 2007, 2.2GHz - MA895LL)

He can continue using that and update Firefox as long as possible.
I'd like to put Waterfox onto the computers but I need to find out how to learn about when to stop using them when they aren't up-to date.
Firefox 60esr works great on the iMac, but Google maps on the MBP is deadly slow.

I assume I need to update the other two to High Sierra and hope that I don't lose Office/Word 2011 totally (I don't use Photoshop much, but I expect it won't work well if at all anymore)

Should I turn off sharing between the iMac and Mr H's MBP - in case something/someone gets into his computer they won't get into mine?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:41 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Sys Prefs>Sharing, uncheck everything.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:45 am 

BDAqua wrote:

Is it sufficient just to do this on Mr H's MBP? I still want to share with the travel MBP.

IF I need to share with his MBP, can I turn on sharing again for a few seconds and then turn it off?

Doesyour answer indicates that I should update to HS on the other two macs now?

No further security updates coming for el cap?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:42 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Yes, you can do it on just one, or limit it by password, etc..

I'm always torn between upgrading for security reasons & not upgrading to thwart Apple's screws & removal of useful features for new useless or buggy features.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:14 am 

I've never really liked Windows, but not having hardware sales driven by constantly retiring software support can make for a far less antagonistic relationship.

Of course once Windows 10 keeps downloading and downloading and downloading and downloading Candy Crush Saga no matter how many times you uninstall it... I'm used to seeing this kind of behavior in free software, but dammit, I paid for Windows 10.

Basically the other side of the fence will still support that system for years to come. I have a Core Duo system that 10 happily supports, although I did buy an SSD and RAM upgrade for it because 1.8" HDs aren't known for speed.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 10:50 am 

Mrs H wrote:
BDAqua wrote:

Is it sufficient just to do this on Mr H's MBP? I still want to share with the travel MBP.

IF I need to share with his MBP, can I turn on sharing again for a few seconds and then turn it off?

Doesyour answer indicates that I should update to HS on the other two macs now?

No further security updates coming for el cap?

No, once 10.14 arrives, that's it, if not already. I'll be in this boat once HSierra is done. Update now to 10.12, or next year to 10.13 -- doesn't make much difference, except you might find some programs are no longer supported by 10.13, and you aren't ready right now to get or pay for new ones.

I don't intend to buy new hardware just to be able to run a supported OS. Also -- but certainly no expert on this -- wonder if running an unsupported OS is all that risky. From what my uneducated eye can tell, almost all of the vulnerabilities closed off by security updates appear to be hypothetical, mainly proof-of-concept. Malware/exploits mostly used in a specifically targeted context these days -- most ordinary users not the target. Adware, the real risk, much more profitable. And since SIP arrived, think it's probably harder for exploits to get where they need to be. Not certain of this, but think MRT, Malware Removal Tool, will still be kept updated for 10.11.

Since your Sharing is, I would assume, happening behind the router, not out in the open, the only risk would be some possible contamination by the 10.11 Mac to the 10.13 system when sharing is enabled. And, most likely, since the 10.13 system is kept updated, it would seem unlikely it could be contaminated by some kind of exploit on the 10.11, should it acquire something. But to repeat, I'm certainly no expert on this subject. Just my relatively uneducated thoughts.

For what it's worth, I ran Mountain Lion several years past its sell by date, and nothing bad happened. Of course, better to run supported than unsupported, but all things considered....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:09 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
No, once 10.14 arrives, that's it, if not already. I'll be in this boat once HSierra is done. Update now to 10.12, or next year to 10.13 -- doesn't make much difference, except you might find some programs are no longer supported by 10.13, and you aren't ready right now to get or pay for new ones.

I hate doing updates - so I'll be going directly to HS.

Does Word (Office 2011) work for you in HS?

Do you think the last update for el cap will still be available in the app store?
I suspect (wonder?) if I should do it before updating the traveling MBP to HS. I turn that on only infrequently.

WZZZ wrote:
I don't intend to buy new hardware just to be able to run a supported OS. Also -- but certainly no expert on this -- wonder if running an unsupported OS is all that risky...

Since your Sharing is, I would assume, happening behind the router, not out in the open, the only risk would be some possible contamination by the 10.11 Mac to the 10.13 system when sharing is enabled....

For what it's worth, I ran Mountain Lion several years past its sell by date, and nothing bad happened. Of course, better to run supported than unsupported, but all things considered....

Thanks for all your wise words. Calms me down a good deal. :D
I ran Snow for many years beyond EOL - many, many years in fact. No ill effects.

We'll have to get Mr H a new computer at some time, his really is slow in Firefox Google (as in non-functional) and I can only guess that it'll get worse. I'll look to used Macs again. But, I'd rather not do it now.

So the update can wait a day or so?

We are in throes of booking another Japan trip and the last thing I want to do is have an update fail.
btw - thank heaven for Chrome! One hotel booking site in Japan would only work with Chrome to make a reservation (pay at hotel, no credit card numbers have to be given to the booking site - nice/trusting folks those Japanese)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:36 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
wonder if running an unsupported OS is all that risky.

Ran 10.8.5 as my 2nd most often used OS version, (10.4.11 most often), until about a month ago when drive disintegrated, begrudgingly running 10.10.5 now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 1:49 pm 

Quote:
Does Word (Office 2011) work for you in HS?

Still on Sierra. Won't get to HS until same time next year.
Quote:
Do you think the last update for el cap will still be available in the app store?

Not sure, but last security update for 10.11 probably still available now, but for not much longer.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 4:40 pm 

If by update you meant security update, latest (and almost certainly last) 10.11 security update, 2018-004, available as a standalone. No need to get it from the app store

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1972

If you meant 10.11 point update, grab it now before it's gone.

Last edited by WZZZ on Mon Sep 17, 2018 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:32 pm 
he who stacks pork

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:
wonder if running an unsupported OS is all that risky.

Ran 10.8.5 as my 2nd most often used OS version, (10.4.11 most often), until about a month ago when drive disintegrated, begrudgingly running 10.10.5 now.

I’m still running 10.7.5 as my daily OS (unless I’m doing Adobe CC stuff) on my fully obsolete dual 3.2GHz quad-core 2008 3,1 Mac Pro… although a few days back I seem to have won an auction for a four-core 3.2GHz 2012 Mac Pro, which of course will boot from 10.7.5 no problem so my hard drives are going into it; the 500GB SSD running 10.11.x will of course be updated to 10.13.6. I would rather keep holding onto 10.7.5 because it does so many things so right (well, 10.6.8 was the BEST but obviously won’t work on modern hardware).

I had contemplated trying out the hack to install High Sierra on 2008 Mac Pros: http://dosdude1.com/highsierra/ but I chickened out since I think I really need to upgrade my hardware properly.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:26 am 

WZZZ wrote:
Still on Sierra. Won't get to HS until same time next year....

Is there an advantage of going just to Sierra and putting off HS for a year?
Do you use Word from Office 2011 on Sierra?

WZZZ wrote:
If by update you meant security update, latest (and almost certainly last) 10.11 security update, 2018-004, available as a standalone. No need to get it from the app store

https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1972

If you meant 10.11 point update, grab it now before it's gone.

Yes, I meant security update, sorry for the confusion.

"If you you meant 10.11 point update"
I am on 10.11.6 - is the .6 the point update you are talking about? I am OK with .6 - the last one out there.

Thanks for the link!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:28 am 

Thanks to all of you for your input on what OS you are using.
Sounds like I can make up my mind about HS or S in the next few days and not have to rush into this in the midst of other things.

Am I the only one who freaks out about these updates???

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:22 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:

No, but you are our very best & sweetest worrier! :)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:03 pm 

Quote:

Could be, maybe yes, maybe no, depends. Depends on your signs. Best to consult an astrologer. Personally, if I were still running 10.11, I'd just go to 10.13 now and get it over with.
Quote:

Not a big user of Word. Almost everything I need to write I can do with TextEdit. Much too complicated, don't have the patience for it. All I can say is it opens and seems to be OK.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:28 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
Quote:

Could be, maybe yes, maybe no, depends. Depends on your signs. Best to consult an astrologer. Personally, if I were still running 10.11, I'd just go to 10.13 now and get it over with.
Quote:

Not a big user of Word. Almost everything I need to write I can do with TextEdit. Much too complicated, don't have the patience for it. All I can say is it opens and seems to be OK.

So it's HS for me - do it once rather than twice and get it over with.
If Word opens that's all I need to hear.
Mr H is stuck in el cap and his word works fine - so if I had to I could use that.

Thanks for the advice.
Do you know of any astrologer in Vermont? ;)

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:30 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Quote:

No, but you are our very best & sweetest worrier! :)

Thank you so much!
Mr H says he would agree with that assessment (but then he rolled his eyes!) :shock:

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:08 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:D

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:39 pm 

Quote:
If Word opens that's all I need to hear.

But you asked me if it opens in Sierra -- "Do you use Word from Office 2011 on Sierra?" -- what I run, not HS.

Looks dicey, see https://9to5mac.com/2017/09/01/microsof ... atibility/

https://appleinsider.com/articles/17/06 ... s-updating

Plus google for "office mac 2011 high sierra"

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 4:08 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Instead of Word, try the free LibreOffice...

https://www.libreoffice.org/download/download/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:18 pm 

I can't post my message below with my little box in it.
I kept getting this message:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]

Incorrect string value: '\xF0\x9F\x80\x86 ...' for column 'post_text' at row 1 [1366]

An SQL error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact the Board Administrator if this problem persists.
Please notify the board administrator or webmaster: anonymous@x704.net

So I deleted my little box and then I could post??? :confused: :confused: :confused:

Last edited by Mrs H on Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:19 pm 

Thanks for the links. I had looked at some of those already.

I also checked this for compatibility issues:
https://roaringapps.com/app/microsoft-office-2011

It seems that Word might work - I don’t use the other parts of Office. Mr H does, but his MBP will stay on El Cap where Word works just fine.

The main thing I use Word for is for check lists for packing - it is the only app that allows me to type 4 columns and insert a little square at each entry in a huge list. When I open these Word documents in .rtf in TextEdit the boxes are gone and so are the columns. I haven't tried opening it in LibreOffice.

I can print a few lists before the upgrade and use Mr H’s MBP for future lists. (You would NOT believe how detailed my packing lists are - or maybe you can imagine.)

I had LibreOffice a while back on one of the traveling computers and will put it on the iMac I guess.

(I got some weird message when I tried to post this, error something or other - so I went to noscript and set all on the page as temp trusted and I could post - prior my setting for the page was plain old trusted??)

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 5:42 pm 

From what I know, Office 2011 works so long as you've updated to the latest version of Office 2011.

Older versions of Office 2011 don't work. And the updaters may not let you run the updater under HS (otherwise I don't know why people wouldn't, you know, try and update their out-of-the-box installation before running it).

I have yet to play through the permutations myself but I know of a particularly impatient individual who updated to HS one weekend after he infected his Sierra with malware and I saw that his fully patched copy of Office 2011 was still working come Monday.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:01 am 

Only way you'll know for sure is to do the upgrade. If you have a spare (fresh) external clone of the current 10.11, boot to that and run the upgrade there. Then if all goes well, you can clone that external, now HS, back to the internal and you're done. If Word, or something else necessary to you doesn't seem to open or function properly, all you've lost is that external, which you can now decide to restore to whatever OS you settle on. (Or, conversely, do the upgrade on the internal, but have a fresh clone to restore, if necessary.)

This is what I did before finally moving to 10.11 from 10.8 several years ago. Gave me a chance to test before actually employing the upgraded OS.