XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Wed May 22, 2019 3:51 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:11 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
To run 10.14 the GPU has to support Metal, at least not without involving Hackintosh methods.
The models they're supporting are the only ones they've committed to upgrading to Metal-compatible drivers. They could do it for more, buuuut that would mean writing and maintaining those drivers, and they've got to force people to upgrade their perfectly functioning hardware somehow.
The Mac Pro is supported because you can get third party (e.g. NVidia) cards that third parties (e.g. NVidia) have committed to building Metal drivers for their hardware. And because they would have a massive revolt on their hands from all the professional users who laughed at the trashcan pro (in other words - most of them).

@MB:

Interesting that apple wants the third parties to maintain the drivers to run their software . . . so I have Nvidia card in my olde 09 MBPro . . . and one on my '00 iMac . . . those cards do seem to do a more crisp rendition than the Radeon card I have on the MP . . . although nothing seriously wrong with the Radeon . . . .

I'll have to look over ST's link to the site that offers the Metal compatible cards again and see what I can find for "best bang for buck" . . . and mull it over . . . to see if I want to stay in compliance . . . or drop behind the OSX wave and run 10.13 to ground . . . . I definitely need to have keyboard commands to run the multi-boot aspects of Multi-booting . . . meaning it has to be "flashed for mac" . . . and then relatively "cheap." :badteeth:

eep

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 10:02 pm 

GPUs supported by Metal (both Metal 1 and Metal 2):

AMD: Radeon HD 78xx/79xx series, R280 through current lineup (Vega 56/64)

nVidia: GTX 680 and later for desktop GPUs, 650M or later for mobile GPUs. 9xx and 1xxx (Maxwell and Pascal respectively) require nVidia web drivers for acceleration, but the OS can work at a basic functionality long enough to install the drivers if they aren't installed prior to the GPU being installed.

If intending to play games, Maxwell or Pascal is highly recommended, so long as you remain with in the 2x 6-pin PCIe connector limit. Sweet spot is 1060 for 1080p gaming, 1080 (non-Ti) for 1440p gaming. Most 1080 Ti GPUs require external PSU in a Mac Pro.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:47 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
GPUs supported by Metal (both Metal 1 and Metal 2):
AMD: Radeon HD 78xx/79xx series, R280 through current lineup (Vega 56/64)
nVidia: GTX 680 and later for desktop GPUs, 650M or later for mobile GPUs. 9xx and 1xxx (Maxwell and Pascal respectively) require nVidia web drivers for acceleration, but the OS can work at a basic functionality long enough to install the drivers if they aren't installed prior to the GPU being installed.
If intending to play games, Maxwell or Pascal is highly recommended, so long as you remain with in the 2x 6-pin PCIe connector limit. Sweet spot is 1060 for 1080p gaming, 1080 (non-Ti) for 1440p gaming. Most 1080 Ti GPUs require external PSU in a Mac Pro.

@ST:

Thanks again for the details on the various cards . . . I personally don't "play games" . . . other than the Game of Life . . . which I still don't understand the rules . . . . I will try to look at your posts with the Metal-friendly card info and then look at the MacVid?? site and see if anything looks "worth it."

I'm over in Lu Next 18.04 right now so I couldn't find where they show the hardware data on the OEM card; I don't think it would be worth changing a card for a "lateral" move, like a card that was slower than what I have, or one with the same capacity for more money or even cheap . . . but, perhaps it would continue my hardware education to get a "more better" card . . . that would also run 10.14 that might be "win" . . . not exactly "win-win" . . . and far from "win-win-win" . . . . My whole computer life I have been a "Mac guy" . . . so I do "like" OSX for its stability . . . butttttttt . . . . :whip: :confused: :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:07 am 

The R280 and the 7950 are the same card with a different firmware, so don't pay more for an R280 vs. 7950. Similarly the R280X is 7970. There are minor improvements in the later card but not anything worth paying more for (you could get a good 7950/7970 that runs faster than a bad R280/R280X).

The nice thing about a Mac Pro is it's basically just a PC. So if you tire of Apple's games you can just flip them the bird and run a fully updated and supported Linux or Windows until damn near the end of time using most or all of the hardware you already own.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:37 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
The R280 and the 7950 are the same card with a different firmware, so don't pay more for an R280 vs. 7950. Similarly the R280X is 7970. There are minor improvements in the later card but not anything worth paying more for (you could get a good 7950/7970 that runs faster than a bad R280/R280X).

The nice thing about a Mac Pro is it's basically just a PC. So if you tire of Apple's games you can just flip them the bird and run a fully updated and supported Linux or Windows until damn near the end of time using most or all of the hardware you already own.

@MB:

Thanks again for the thoughts . . . and the details on the various card options . . . cheaper and better is good. I'm back in 10.13 and checking the "abouts" my card now is the ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB, which would seem is not friendly to Metal type card.

But, right, I'm not starving for 10.14 . . . as I do have a range of OSX and linux systems installed that indeed would suffice for most everything I need to do. The only area where there seems to be no options for linux is in Nikon software for their basic transfer picture and basic editing apps . . . there if I was going to flip off on apple I would have to "go over to the dark side" and, what, use BC to install a lifetime supported version of Windows?? Going to linux years back when apple dropped support on PPC was my choice to "split the diff" between Windows and OSX . . . .

Over time as you mention the hardware distinction between apple and PC has become moot . . . and it seems like Windows has made some leaps in their software and its visuals to make that also "moot" . . . . A machine is a machine, now there are some basic needs for "the web" . . . and the platform that gets us there seems to be not too important . . . as it once seemed to be.

As you have stated this "the MP is a PC" concept many times . . . if and when there came the time for another machine, like possibly my MBP '09er would be the next to go "light's out" . . . how do you find the "best PC" or "best bang for the buck PC"?? Is there a "good brand"?? Or, you are just looking at the specs at a given moment on a range of machines, and "all of them are OK, so it just depends on budget"??? It appears that prices on good quality PCs have trended up thanks to Apple.

In the past it seemed like Apple was putting together a high quality/looking machine . . . over time it now seems like it's mid-line components that can't be upgraded put into a nice looking case . . . harder to make the argument for continuing the apple addiction . . . since I mostly do word-processing and some photo-editing and posting these kind of comments on web forums . . . . Still have to find the time to look into these card prices, but, for the rainy day . . . starting to consider the joys of PC ownership/operation . . . Chromebook options worth messing with??

eep

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 12:40 pm 

I tend to float all over the place on OEM PCs as every OEM puts out good and bad makes/models. There are no blanket "Thinkpads are always good" truths anymore. I kind of look at reviews but the problem is the internet makes trusting reviews hard.

Just yesterday I read an article about companies in southeast asia who exist solely to game reviews - they'll leave good reviews for their products but also jam their competitors with so many good reviews that the site actually blacklists the competitor's product because automatic systems detect that someone is trying to game its reviews. It sure would be nice if we had a functioning political process in this country to make such tactics illegal, so that anyone caught hiring a company like this would get penalized. :roll:

I say Windows will support your system until the end of time but really, eventually they are going to roll old hardware off. However right now 10 supports the original 32-bit Core Solo/Duo CPUs which Apple hasn't supported in years. First generation Intel iMacs were Core Duo, as were first generation Intel MacBook Pros. A 2010 Mac Pro is so far beyond that it's silly. Everything between those 32-bit only systems and the Mac Pro would have to be unsupported before they'll nuke the Pro. It will happen eventually but there's a long way to go until then.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:39 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I tend to float all over the place on OEM PCs as every OEM puts out good and bad makes/models. There are no blanket "Thinkpads are always good" truths anymore. I kind of look at reviews but the problem is the internet makes trusting reviews hard.

Just yesterday I read an article about companies in southeast asia who exist solely to game reviews - they'll leave good reviews for their products but also jam their competitors with so many good reviews that the site actually blacklists the competitor's product because automatic systems detect that someone is trying to game its reviews. It sure would be nice if we had a functioning political process in this country to make such tactics illegal, so that anyone caught hiring a company like this would get penalized. :roll:

I say Windows will support your system until the end of time but really, eventually they are going to roll old hardware off. However right now 10 supports the original 32-bit Core Solo/Duo CPUs which Apple hasn't supported in years. First generation Intel iMacs were Core Duo, as were first generation Intel MacBook Pros. A 2010 Mac Pro is so far beyond that it's silly. Everything between those 32-bit only systems and the Mac Pro would have to be unsupported before they'll nuke the Pro. It will happen eventually but there's a long way to go until then.

Not as long as you think. The writing's on the wall that Mojave will be the final OS for the pre-2013 Mac Pros entirely as Apple wants to force users to buy its new "modular" Mac Pro next year. That has a lot of World of Warcraft users worried because expansions have two year lifespans and the presumed cutoff for tha 2010-2012 Mac Pros is only one year through the expansion. And thanks to the deprecation of OpenGL making Metal a requirement, the fact that users also have to upgrade to a new GPU just to use the Mac Pros for maybe a year, two if the stars align and Jony Ives gets designers-block with the new Mac Pros means that it's a really hard pill to swallow with regard to support.

Nobody's happy with how Apple treats its customers as disposable income now.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2018 6:57 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:

Nobody's happy with how Apple treats its customers as disposable income now.

@ST:

Truth. But that behavior isn't "new" . . . it's just that the price to play has gone even higher . . . . Seems like a two year max run for a new card isn't exactly "great value" . . . .

eep

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:08 pm 

Which is all the more reason not to spend $350 on one. :badteeth:

To be honest, I heard that the 2012 MacBook Pro was going to be discontinued long before it actually did. As soon as the Retina came out it was going to be discontinued in 6 months. Then it went on like that for years until finally, at long last, they actually did it. And then Apple lost all the customers who told them not to do it before releasing an equivalent system. Apple doesn't care about individual customers like you or me but large customers who give them lots of money (read: millions each year) have a bit more influence on their behavior.

And, to be completely fair, I was talking about Windows dropping support for 2010/2012 Mac Pros, not Apple.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:28 pm 

Spent some time looking at the macvidcard site options . . . tried to compare to ST & MB comments . . . so much to consider . . . woke up a few days back having spent hours in the dream state going over the options using up valuable dream real estate/cpu time to evaluate the options . . . "Radeon"??? "Nvidia"??? "Radeon"?? "Nvidia"??? :confused: :roll: :?: :whip: :snail:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:22 pm 

este.el.paz wrote:
Spent some time looking at the macvidcard site options . . . tried to compare to ST & MB comments . . . so much to consider . . . woke up a few days back having spent hours in the dream state going over the options using up valuable dream real estate/cpu time to evaluate the options . . . "Radeon"??? "Nvidia"??? "Radeon"?? "Nvidia"??? :confused: :roll: :?: :whip: :snail:

Radeon is for "drop it in and forget it" use. nVidia is for power users that don't mind installing web drivers every update (and waiting for said drivers to appear before they update to the new OS revision/version).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:38 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
Radeon is for "drop it in and forget it" use. nVidia is for power users that don't mind installing web drivers every update (and waiting for said drivers to appear before they update to the new OS revision/version).

@ST:

Thanks for the distinction . . . I have Macs with both, of course on the Mac side the Nvidia is "easy" . . . and on the what is now the LM 18xx side/partition it used to be that some effort had to be done to use the "Drivers" app to pick which driver would run the card, seems like these days the upgrades take care of it . . . .

I don't mind making "power adjustments" to get stuff to work, but, upon consideration of MB's comments about "the Mac Pro is a PC" I think it is more amusing to take advantage of Apple's engineering of their hardware so that people who "needed Windows" could run Windows on a Mac . . . to . . . install Windows on my 2012 Mac Pro. If Apple won't "support" their Pro line for 10 years at least then it is time to "shuffle along" . . . .

I had planned on buying a new HD or SSD for the 10.14 upgrade, so it seems like if I don't want to use BC then Windows needs its own HD . . . should calc out cheaper to go that route . . . . I'm upgraded to 10.13.6 and really the only reason I like staying current on OSX is the iCloud connection to photos taken on my iPodTouch, which, if you drop behind the curve is gone . . . but, ironically perhaps, if you are in any version of Windows you can log into iCloud via browser . . . another step, but do-able . . . .

I may change my mind on it, but, it doesn't seem to make too much $$$ sense to spend dough on a video card when the one that is installed is working just fine for my needs. Perhaps if I get more into post-camera image manipulation and I "needed" the finer rendition of an Nvidia card . . . might be different story . . . might be worth the expense then, but, likely, by the time I make that decision probably 10.14 will be off the server . . . . Windows . . . here I come . . . not "brave enough" to make the cut for team 10.14. :bonk: :classic-eek: :emphatic-eek: :upset: :coffee:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:41 pm 

You can get a SATA SSD for not a whole lot of cash for the moment. I picked up a 500GB SSD for $80 on a sale 6-ish months ago. 250GB SATA SSDs are regularly around $50 or less. Don't expect mind-blowing performance at this price point but it'll be faster than HD.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:07 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
You can get a SATA SSD for not a whole lot of cash for the moment. I picked up a 500GB SSD for $80 on a sale 6-ish months ago. 250GB SATA SSDs are regularly around $50 or less. Don't expect mind-blowing performance at this price point but it'll be faster than HD.

@MB:

Cool, thanks for the ballpark numbers . . . could be "the next step" on whatever road gets chosen . . . SSD . . . wouldn't have to be too huge to run just one OS . . .

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 11:51 am 

So I tried it. It just works.

:mrgreen:

Attachments:
2260.png
2260.png [ 96.68 KiB | Viewed 1602 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:34 pm 

@LCIII:

Great. Checking your video card it looks like there are a number of different types of "Radeon RX 580 8192MB" cards . . . which one are you using to have this "it just works" experience with the now partially "unsupported" Mac Pro system . . . ??

eep

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:12 pm 

Well, it just works once you get everything situated. YMMV. To start at the top, I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06ZZ6FMF8/re ... zBb4FD0D94

You will also need one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Express-Connecto ... B0749DQ3VX

The cable is generally an easy get on eBay. Then it gets interesting.

Before you install Mojave, you have to install new firmware. The Mojave installer will stop you cold if you don't have a card that supports Metal. But the firmware installer will only do its thing if it sees a GPU with a Mac ROM. It's an iConundrum! So do this. Launch the installer with the new (Metal!) card installed. The installer will notify you that firmware must be installed, and it will prompt you to shut down and install it. Click the appropriate button in the Mojave Installer window, and wait for shutdown. Open the case and swap in the old card, so the firmware installer sees the Mac ROM. Close the case and hold the power button until it sounds the Firmware Installing Now tone. Wait for a while. The machine will reboot in a few minutes. After the reboot, verify that the firmware has been updated. Shut down the machine. Swap in the new card. Reboot and launch the Mojave Beta installer. And voila! It just works!

Until the machine boots into its fresh new OS, and you realize that all users except for the Admin user have gone away. Whoops! Panic and check the Users directory on your boot drive. Yep, the folders are all still there. To reconstitute the other users, go to the Users and Groups tab in System Preferences. Add new user(s). Use the same account name(s) an password(s) as before. A popup window will helpfully note that folders with these usernames already exist. Click ok. And your standard users are back!

This is the only weirdness I have noted so far. I will report any other annoyances I encounter.

It also bears mentioning that this card has no MiniDP. But you have your choice of DP, HDMI, or DVI. Or all the above, if you wish to run 5 displays concurrently.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 2:46 pm 
Master

Hi LCIII! Long time since we've seen you around. Thanks for dropping in!

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:32 pm 

@LCIII:

Alrighty, thanks for the details . . . looks like a bit of a process, but, if that Radeon card is a less expensive way to get into 10.14, then might be worth the extra processing . . . . Always a gamble . . . . One of the reviews for one of the 580 cards said, "The card is noisy . . ." ?? I do like a quiet AI companion . . . rather than one that makes a lot of sound . . . . Otherwise, OK, firmware update . . . got it . . . . :bonk:

eep

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:00 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Hi LCIII! Long time since we've seen you around. Thanks for dropping in!

- Anonymous

I've been lurking for a while. The smoke and heat are keeping the camera in the bag, and keeping me inside; updating software that has been working fine, buying overpriced hardware, and tinkering with Old Silver. By the time the wildfires are out, I will probably be building a Ubuntu server to manage my Nexus snapshot archive. Oh, the humanity. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2018 3:46 pm 
Master

I'm pretty happy with Ubuntu server, but have never used (Sonatype) Nexus: we only have one (small) dev team and the dozen systems I have to deal with are mostly just HTTP load slaves and all our software is pushed to production from just two source code repositories using a 250 line shell script, which is pretty easy to manage.

The only interesting thing on the horizon is that I'm hoping to very soon replace the SSDs in a database server with an Intel Optane card. The old $10K FusionIO SSDs from 2011 are probably worth about $150 today, and no one in their right mind would want them because there aren't any drivers for contemporary versions of Linux...which is not to say that we didn't spend two weeks trying to make them work. :nothappy:

Lots of haze, but so far no suffocating smoke up north, unlike last year when we could barely see across the street.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2018 1:27 am 

I bought both a GTX 680 and a Radeon HD 7950, flashed both of them and when all was said and done I decided to keep the GTX 680 because my monitor wouldn't work with the Radeon over DisplayPort and I couldn't get above 1080P with HDMI.

The fact that Apple explicitly specified SKUs and not just chipsets makes me think Apple is going to do some EFI sorcery to make those MSI and Sapphire cards work pre-GUI.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2018 1:41 pm 

Folks:

Finally had the time and gumption to download 10.14 . . . and recently got a 16GB flash drive to use the "createinstallmedia" function in the Terminal to move a copy of the installer . . . to . . . and tried to do my usual gambit of making a "duplicate" which I intended to move into another folder since we know that the installer does the olde Mission Impossible move of "self-destructing" itself after running the install . . . . Apple must be getting wind of that because when I tried to drag the copy out of Applications all it did was make an "alias" of the file . . . little arrow by the side of the icon??? Tried it again dragging to desktop . . . another alias . . . then right-clicked and "move to trash" . . . and dragging it out of Trash seemed to have moved the entire "6 GB" installer . . . . Everything takes time . . . . :bonk:

Copied/pasted the command to create the install media . . . took a few minutes . . . but seems to have gone well, so, now I have the installer copied in flash drive. :coffee:

This brings me to the question, as rather than with my old 1.5 MB DSL connection which would have taken 6 hours likely to download the installer, I now have a "100 MB" cable connection, which seems to have "dynamic" speed capacity . . . speeding up for bigger downloads . . . the "4.9 GB" download seemed to take less than ten minutes . . . and then, having forgotten LCIII's post about the firmware update . . . there was the installer window open and saying it was time to shut down the computer and run the firmware update???? Whaaaaattttt? My plan had been to move the installer to the flash drive, then pull out the two HD's that I have installed with various flavors of OSX and linux . . . slot the just ordered SSD (with special tray adapter for MP) . . . and run the install fresh from the flash drive into the fresh . . . (unformatted???) SSD and let the installer do what it would want . . . and that way the installer wouldn't wipe all of the GRUB connections for the other 4 linux OSs . . . and, of course, also wouldn't do anything "wack" with the prior OSX volumes . . . ???

But, my question is whether any of that is "do-able" . . . my new-ish Nvidia video card is from macvideo??? and should be already flashed for Mac, so I'm assuming that that part of LCIII's post I don't have to worry about (pulling the card and putting old card in, etc) . . . BUT . . . does it matter to the older installs of OSX what firmware updates are done for them to run OK?? Like, whether or not I have to format the new SSD before pulling out the 2 HDs, should I be trying to do a firmware update with all drives installed? Or, nope, doesn't matter to the HDs or OSs . . . I could pop the HDs out, put the SSD in slot one, put the flash drive installer in the USB3 slot; reboot the computer doing the "c" key move to boot the installer . . . let it request the firmware update, shut down . . . etc . . . and then back into the installer . . . ???

I'm in OSX 10.13 right now, and that OS seems to be blissfully oblivious to the "firmware update" . . . but, my issue with trying to run the install from within 10.13 is that as it is there are approx. 8 boot volumes to choose from . . . which, perhaps in the past the OSX installers have "shut down" after the install and on reboot it still had control . . . but, trying to keep things "tidy" I'm thinking clean install on clean SSD . . . . ?????? :?:

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 28, 2018 7:17 pm 

Any time you download an installer from the Mac App Store it will "helpfully" launch the installer for you once the download completes (much like Safari "helpfully" opens malware after it downloads them). You can always command q and exit the installer. The installer should be in /Applications/Install macOS Whatever.app - hopefully you got the full installer and not the stub installer. Stub installer is only 31MB or so, full installer is over 4GB.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2018 5:55 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Any time you download an installer from the Mac App Store it will "helpfully" launch the installer for you once the download completes (much like Safari "helpfully" opens malware after it downloads them). You can always command q and exit the installer. The installer should be in /Applications/Install macOS Whatever.app - hopefully you got the full installer and not the stub installer. Stub installer is only 31MB or so, full installer is over 4GB.

@MB:

Right, no worries on that part of the installer retrieval and/or quit . . . made the copy and moved it to flash drive. The part after that is what I was asking about.

eep

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next