XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:39 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah, looks cool. :)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:14 pm 

There's a lot of options out there. I think the one I'm thinking of was from the same company that also makes Mac-compatible PCIe SSD drives that fit into Apple's proprietary slot on newer systems (funny how once companies reverse engineered it that Apple started removing the slot).

I just stumbled across this option tonight, 3D print your own adapter. Not that it'd be cost-effective to buy a printer just for this but if you have a little $150-ish 3D printer, it wouldn't cost more than a couple bucks to print one.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:28 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
There's a lot of options out there. I think the one I'm thinking of was from the same company that also makes Mac-compatible PCIe SSD drives that fit into Apple's proprietary slot on newer systems (funny how once companies reverse engineered it that Apple started removing the slot).

I just stumbled across this option tonight, 3D print your own adapter. Not that it'd be cost-effective to buy a printer just for this but if you have a little $150-ish 3D printer, it wouldn't cost more than a couple bucks to print one.

Nice!! It's the blue color that enhances the functionality aspect. Not sure if that is a similar idea to what BD had posted, i.e., an adapter combi shim with modified mounting holes that mounts on the OEM tray, but that brings up the thought that there might be a "wooden" option, like thin plywood or veneer . . . once the shim thickness is known or figured out to set the SATA connection it's just a matter of locating the mounting screws . . . ??? Probably wouldn't be something that could take massive use/abuse, and wouldn't likely be cost effective in time and effort . . . but, might be do-able . . . . Or, if there is a sheet acrylic or vinyl plastic in that thickness . . . pretty easy to cut it and drill the holes . . . . No need for OWC at all on this one. :idea: :roll: :coffee:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:42 am 

There are a lot of options in the 3.5" to 2.5" adapter realm since you can use the same adapter in all forms of hotplug bays (servers, drive expansion chassis, etc.). OWC sells a version under their NewerTech line, but this is the cheapest I've found.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2018 9:40 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
There are a lot of options in the 3.5" to 2.5" adapter realm since you can use the same adapter in all forms of hotplug bays (servers, drive expansion chassis, etc.). OWC sells a version under their NewerTech line, but this is the cheapest I've found.

@MB:

Thanks for the links, looks reasonable . . . one thing I didn't like about this type is the adapter plug-in adds a layer of "complexity" or potential breakage/failure . . . whereas the OWC blue tray plugs the SSD directly into the connector . . . . Simple is better, and sometimes is not "cheap" . . . ????

eep

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5