XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:00 pm 

If you are trying to install OS X or macOS from a bootable flash drive and receive an error almost immediately after starting that your installation media is corrupt, don't take the error at face value.

Instead, check your date & time. More than likely your date & time have reverted to 1969 or a day much earlier than the present.

This causes the certificates the installers are signed with to not be valid, because "today" is before the earliest date the certificate is valid on.

Another trick is that if your date is correct to try and set it back six months. It's possible a certificate has expired (although this typically displays a slightly less dire warning message).

I think I might have written this up before but I didn't see it in a quick sweep. I just encountered it tonight and thankfully went straight to Terminal and checked the date. This is done using the command "date".

BTW, who the hell wrote the date program in OS X? month day hour minute century year second? Every time I set the clock in Terminal I stare at the example input kind of dumbfounded for a second trying to figure out a rhyme or reason to that order.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:37 pm 

Excellent tip. Already knew that some installers balked because of date certificate mismatches, but didn't know about the "corrupt media" error a USB installer might throw.

I think you encountered this already when you tried using the Sierra installer from "Sierra still available," the link I posted some time ago. Will be using a Sierra 10.12.6 installer from end of last summer before long at the Mini. Do you remember how far back you had to set the date to get it to work?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 6:52 pm 

edit
WZZZ, I know with installing ElCapitan I had to set the date back to early Feb 2016 but I'm not sure for Sierra as it came out after that being late Oct 2016, so perhaps picking a date soon after that may work.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 8:23 am 

Seeing that I installed Sierra to an external on 9/29/17 (downloaded 8/5/17.) So would think if the installer balks, any time before that date.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 1:26 pm 

There is a date range that certificates are valid in although finding out the exact range requires finding the particular certificate which is kind of hard with an OS installer (which is basically comprised of hundreds of individual installers). You generally want to set the date back and back and back until it works. As a rule of thumb a date around the time the installer was created or downloaded should work fine.

With normal application installers you typically get an error message about the certificate being invalid and asking if you want to continue the installation. Under normal circumstances this would mean someone tampered with the installer but in the case of old software its usually just an expired certificate.

I thought I wrote this up before but as I said I couldn't figure out where I wrote it up. And maybe I wasn't quite as eloquent then.