XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue May 22, 2018 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 3:55 pm 
Master

So I'm not a big fan of the whole Apple ID thing and was a bit pissed off that I had to create yet another throwaway account to install a vast and unwieldy program called Xcode that I literally never want to use and that screws up all my file type associations just to get basic bread and butter command line unix development tools that I rely on.

But then I realized I don't need to do any of that. Instead I need to do this:
xcode-select --install

This installs everything I want, almost nothing I don't want, and doesn't require an Apple ID.

You're welcome,
- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 6:43 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Nifty find/trick, thanks. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 9:32 pm 

Yeah, the full Xcode seem massive overkill. Haven't needed to run anything out of there for a few years now, but will keep this in mind for the next time I do. Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2018 10:47 pm 

To add insult to injury, you have to install the command line tools after installing xcode, at least in the past few versions I installed. It was a separate step that you had to do "if you want them." :roll:

I suppose I should have checked to see if xcode-select was included with the OS before now.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2018 5:48 pm 
Master

That was the the real killer. So I just waited an hour for this bloated pig of a program to install, that I didn't want to install in the first place, then they're like "oh yeah, and we didn't even install the one and only thing you did want." :nothappy:

How can someone program on OS X without the command line tools??? How can that even be a thing? I know, I know, I'm very provincial in my outlook because I use those tools, and you probably don't need them when you're writing slapdash clones of Flappy Bird for the iPhone...but come on! No command line dev tools by default!?

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:28 am 

Thanks Anon. Installing some regular code strangely baulked reporting a problem with 'xcrun'
Doing the mentioned 'xcode-select --install' command, it downloaded for a while, after which the 'sudo make' ran as per normal. It seemed the Xcode tools needed upgrading come 10.11.

Behind the curve as usual, but now up to speed with Xcode tools. :)

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 9:29 am 
Master

Glad to hear it worked for you!

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 8:20 pm 

Yeah, generally with every OS update Apple also updates xcode, even the command line tools that you think shouldn't change. Apple makes... odd... decisions about the framework that the tools live on top of and that can affect the old tools. Weirdly sometimes the only way to get an old tool working is to update xcode and then use macports or a similar library to download and compile the old tool using the new xcode. That's assuming the tool was removed by Apple, usually its just changed to work slightly different and can slot into its old place.

I honestly don't know WTF is going to happen to xcode when Apple removes all 32-bit support in 10.14. Not every project can be simply recompiled to spit out a 64-bit executable instead of a 32-bit executable. I imagine a lot of pain for macports and the like.