XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2017 4:16 pm 

To be honest until this thread I didn't even realize there was a non-malware form of CMM, I've only ever encountered the malware version...

PostPosted: Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:24 pm 
he who stacks pork

Kids. Kids. KIDS!!!! Jesus Christ. They did it again. Infected all the computers at their house, due to the same stupid “click on the first Google link” tactics in attempt to download their MInecraft or Roblox add-ons. Three computers once again infected. I tried today to manually remove the components, but it would seem as though I need a bonafide “crapware uninstaller” for this crap, as (thanks to MenuMeters) the CPU utilization at “idle” is over 40%, running top doesn’t really tell me much.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:19 pm 

I assume you've made their accounts non-administrators? It doesn't stop them from installing crap, but it usually stops the crap from spreading outside of their account, so worst case you can just copy the stuff you/they care about to an external drive, then copy it back into a new account.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:49 pm 

Leo, I suppose this is a bit hard to manage from afar if your kids are at another house but having Noscript and Adblock Plus in place can be a pretty good first line of defence to prevent that crapware from appearing and offering itself for download.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 2:36 pm 

Definitely Adblock Plus, but don't think NoScript should be left in the hands of kids--non-nerd kids anyway--and many grownups as well. Not sure he would want to pay $40 year, but Malwarebytes now offers real time protection. Or Sophos, free, which could probably prevent most of those types of mishaps.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2017 3:06 pm 

Maybe. A lot of those trojans are one-offs that are hard to detect because they have limited distribution. AV companies normally aren't fed samples by children.

I have yet to find an "normal" adult who's willing to put up with NoScript, much less a child. The "normal" adults get annoyed to the point that they Google instructions on how to disable it, at which point it's disabled everywhere. I understand it's powerful, but it's very intrusive and "normal" people hate learning new things.

I just barely - barely - get them to tolerate Adblock and uBlock. It doesn't help that my sole IT coworker tends to blame ad blocking for crazy things like systems crashing and rather than update drivers (the source of the crash) he disables things like browser extensions because zomg that must be the cause due to (crazy jump of logic). Then when I talk to him he's like oh yeah drivers that makes more sense. :o

PostPosted: Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:34 pm 
Master

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Then when I talk to him he's like oh yeah drivers that makes more sense. :o

I once occasionally worked with someone like that, but without the "oh that makes more sense part." I'd often have to step away from the phone and take a deep breath while desperately trying not to say out loud "what you said literally makes no sense, represents pure cargo cult troubleshooting/configuration/administration/etc, and furthermore I think you're still rattling on like this because you have no idea how any of this actually works, yet I still have to sit here listening to it as if it all means something!"

If you're not an IT professional doing this 40 hours a week, well, I understand and I'll patiently and happily work through it, but when you've supposedly been doing this professionally for 20-30 years and don't know even basic theory yet hold very strong opinions about it...
:upset:

- Anonymous