XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Sep 24, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Just a Sierra comment
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 1:41 pm 

I've got Sierra functioning along side El Capitan (separate drive). I must say it is NOT an improvement over El Capitan. It has many glitches on my system and I never get the beachball when booted to El Cap but have had several in Sierra. Virtually every action I take on Sierra takes longer and is less snappy. For now I am staying with El Capitan. Honestly, I really feel like every 'upgrade' brings with it less sense of smooth responsive operation. Very disappointed with Sierra at the moment. I feel this downward trend started with everything after Snow Leopard and has been a noticeable feel of steady downgrade.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 5:46 pm 

I wish I had the option to stay in 10.11, but sadly I don't - Blizzard's games lock out Metal in 10.11.x now because it's super buggy and OpenGL is so slow as to be borderline unusable even on an overpowered hackintosh. So Sierra it is. And I'm forced to use firefox for twitter or videos because in 10.12.4 webkit is so fucked up that it hangs on any CPU from haswell up on sites like twitter, CNN, etc. when using Safari.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 6:05 pm 

I haven't particularly noticed any new issues with Sierra, though it has continued the recent trend of making 4GB systems unusable.

I have had to come in and clean up installations people made of 10.12 on their own which had all kinds of weird issues. Based on the number I don't think 10.12 handles upgrades well, clean installations do better but then you'll lose access to any preinstalled software.

I did manage to upgrade a 10.11 factory system to 10.12 and then snapped an image of it, which is the basis of the 10.12 I'm using to restore on systems. I had to do some tweaking to make the image a generic image, removing caches and other system specific information so it can rebuild that after being restored on the new system.

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 8:43 pm 

Sierra brought back with it insanely horrific memory management. I've got 32 GB RAM and the VM compressor kicks in with less than 10 GB used. I still have 22 GB free and the fucking VM compressor kicks in. WHAT THE GINORMOUS FUCK?!

I wish I were exaggerating here. 4 GB is beyond unusable with Sierra. It's only tolerable in El Crapitan because memory management was godlike in that OS For the First Time in Forever™.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:16 am 

I'm on El Cap, and that's where I want to stay for as long as possible. I wonder if Apple will extend support to everyone beyond the usual, measly 2 years, since they are still making 10.11 available to those whose machines can't run 10.12.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 10:13 am 

I wouldn't count on it. They expect you to buy a non-expandable/disposable premium system once your support period is over.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 9:42 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I have had to come in and clean up installations people made of 10.12 on their own which had all kinds of weird issues. Based on the number I don't think 10.12 handles upgrades well, clean installations do better but then you'll lose access to any preinstalled software.

I may try a fresh install at some point. I use Clover to boot my Hackintosh and it now provides a method for 'upgrade in place' to the newer OS. I used that method to 'upgrade' to Sierra. Maybe the older methods/tools for establishing a hackintosh would provide a better result in this 2010 rig. As long as El Cap is supported I do NOT feel compelled to go through much to create a more functional Sierra install. I might even be tempted to skip a version. Maybe the downward trend will begin to trend in another direction (side-wase?) by then.

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 4:05 pm 

Well Hacks do present their own unique challenges when it comes to stability, performance, primarily coming from hardware support. That said, if you're happy, and the OS still enjoys support from Apple and third party vendors, there's not much reason to upgrade unless there's a feature you need in the new OS. My experience in terms of Sierra is entirely limited to 2010+ Macs, I have yet to talk to anyone in person who is running a Hack.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 3:07 am 

WZZZ wrote:
I'm on El Cap, and that's where I want to stay for as long as possible. I wonder if Apple will extend support to everyone beyond the usual, measly 2 years, since they are still making 10.11 available to those whose machines can't run 10.12.

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I wouldn't count on it. They expect you to buy a non-expandable/disposable premium system once your support period is over.

I have puzzled over this theory of Apple abandoning its software as a means to entice the purchase of newer hardware, when Microsoft could do the same for its software alone but does not. Microsoft still provides security updates to Windows 7 which happens to be about as old as 10.6.

Such a completely different strategy for these two behemoths. One supports their software for only three years and the other for ~15 years. I can only conclude that to make a hardware obsolete requiring a $1000+ upgrade is the objective for Apple, compared to MS who can only sell new software for a few hundred and has less incentive to do so. Notably when Apple started giving away their software upgrades for free, (10.7+) with the new yearly 'update' cycle, this aligned with the reduced support cycle and so feeds into the obsolescence theory which is sitting on some solid ground.

My personal response to this is to hang on to my old hardware for as long as it is useful, and then migrate over to a Hackintosh when I must.

PostPosted: Sun May 21, 2017 1:32 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I read MS is issuing a patch for XP to address the latest ransomware .

I think the idea behind FREE OSXes is that the user can make no demands & has no guarantee.

Meanwhile Apple can't build Hardware that they feel they can warranty for more than a year. :(

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 5:41 am 

Two other rather annoying things I have discovered about Sierra...
1. Twain Sane has not been updated to work beyond 10.11 so that leaves me without a functioning scanner in Sierra. I have to ask myself why is there no Twain Sane for Sierra? Has it become too difficult to modify it so it can function with Sierra? It works so nicely in previous OS's.

2. Apple has this annoying habit of updating the library files to certain programs like Photos. Before I realized what was happening Sierra had rendered my Photos library un-openable in El Cap. Yes I had a back up so I returned it to it's original state but frankly I see no "improvements" to the newer version of Photos from within Sierra that would necessitate this sort of exclusivity with regard to OS. It feels like another mechanism for forcing the newer OS on folks. Sorry to sound like the "Get Off My Lawn" guy but geesh....I pine for the old days of Apple when I felt like there was real innovation and a sense of support for the users...short and long term.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 6:21 am 

Actually, you can run Windows 10 on Pentium 4 systems. It does have to be a P4 with NX bit support, which is a subset of P4 systems thanks to Intel treating that as an optional feature they could charge more for, but it's still a lot of older P4 systems. All Core CPU systems are supported, which is more than Apple can say, they nuked support for them a while ago.

I don't know any other way of interpreting Apple's actions except a means of trying to get people to buy new non-upgradeable systems, which they will have to replace more often because they're non-upgradeable.

Edit: Oh, and then there's this.

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:16 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I don't know any other way of interpreting Apple's actions except a means of trying to get people to buy new non-upgradeable systems, which they will have to replace more often because they're non-upgradeable.

Absolutely.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 7:31 am 

roam wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:

Absolutely.
Yes, and also maybe factor in Apple's design over function proclivity and you end up with units like the imac that have such poor thermal distribution that there is by design a shortened life span. An odd form of planned obsolescence with poor design choices driven by the need to be seen as always innovating. "Innovation"- being able to constantly make things thinner.

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:02 pm 
Master

innovative ˈinəˌvātiv
adjective
Of an Apple product, thinner: The new MacBook Pro is so innovative it doesn't even have ports.
See also: revolutionary
---------------------------------

revolutionary ˌrevəˈlo͞oSHəˌnerē
adjective
Describes an Apple product that is unrepairable, unexpandable, uses proprietary components, is glued together, and has no ports: Today we're releasing the most revolutionary new MacBook Pro ever!
See also: expensive, worse

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 12:39 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quick, buy some apple stock before they innovate the one use disposable Mac. :upset: