XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:25 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: 2-factor authentication
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 7:55 pm 

Right now I'm totally freaked out. I did the update to 10.2.1 on the iPhone - I never was nagged to update, contrary to what others all complain or - about being nagged constantly to do it!!! ...but when I backed up to iTunes I was reminded of the update.

I also sync'ed the 60+GB of music files. This worked fine, thank you very much MonkeyBoy for your help!!

Anyway - freaked out - I accidentally signed up for 2 factor authentication - a bad idea for us I think with just one computer traveling with us running Mavs and the iPhone. If either breaks down or gets lost (!), or can't connect we'd be out of luck trying to get to the Apple ID if we had to.

Now, I've got to undo it (I accidentally hit Continue when faced with the option to sign up. After the update, I got the HOLA page and then when I put in the passcode and I unlocked the phone I was faced with the 2 factor authentication signup. I should have clicked not now.) I got an email which says I have 2 weeks to get out of this. Tomorrow when I'm awake that's the first task...

Do you all use this? I bet you do.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:46 pm 

Two-factor authentication for Apple ID https://support.apple.com/HT204915 - "Two-factor authentication is an extra layer of security for your Apple ID designed to ensure that you're the only person who can access your account, even if someone knows your password." Uses a "trusted" device to receive a passcode to verify adding a device.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 7:20 am 

Thanks Limnos.
I got an email from Apple telling me I turned it on and if I didn't giving me a link to turn it off and it must be done within 2 weeks.

I read about the link and it looks like I'll have to set up a new password for Apple - I like mine, but can change a number or two.
Then I read this:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915
At the bottom it shows how to turn it off -
"To turn off two-factor authentication, sign in to your Apple ID account page and click Edit in the Security section. Then click Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication. After you create new security questions and verify your date of birth, two-factor authentication will be turned off. "
but now I think to get into the Apple ID I have to get that authentication number.
If someone has turned on two-factor authentication for your Apple ID without your permission, you can also turn it off from the enrollment confirmation email sent to your Apple ID or rescue email address. Click Turn Off Two-Factor Authentication at the bottom of the email to restore your Apple ID to its previous security settings and regain control of your account. The link is active for two weeks after you enroll."

I read somewhere late last night that I can turn it off in a security setting on the phone - I'm trying to find that again, of course I didn't remember to bookmark the most useful info I found.

I did find this which does say that I may need the authentication to get into the Apple ID to turn it off...ugghhh
http://osxdaily.com/2016/08/17/disable- ... -apple-id/

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 9:04 am 

DONE!

Followed the link here to simply get to Apple sign in page:
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204915

Then I edited security and turned the sucker OFF.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:22 am 

Two factor can be a good thing, depending on how its implemented, but I'm also a believer of baby steps. Get used to the phone first, then start using gizmos like two factor, assuming your data plan is okay with it.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:47 pm 

Thanks for the reply.
Not ready for it yet - maybe never.
I can just imagine the scenario of having to use the Apple ID, I know not just now for what, and being in Japan and (gulp) not having access to the phone (Lost??) and being locked out of the MBP.

And it's system wide, so the iMac and Mr H's MBP running Snow would have to some gymnastics in order to work around that.

I do want to set up find my phone however as that will be useful when we travel.

The guy on the phone help gave me info on copying docs that I'm leery of - esp he said I had to update my computer from Mavs to new OS to use my 09 Pages (he seemed to question if iTunes to sync from computer would work, though my iTunes is Uptodate.) I did get help though on getting rid of 2-factor through him.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 4:40 pm 

There's usually a way of getting your account back if your phone (the 2 factor device) gets stolen. You certainly don't want to use iCloud-based accounts in any case whatsoever on a Mac, so you wouldn't get locked out of the computer, just be unable to buy apps on the app store and other Apple ID related things.

I managed to delete my Steam app's data from my phone, which was tied to my Steam account for 2 factor authentication, which has to be used before a new device can be tied to the account, which my phone now qualified as since - to Steam - it was a new device. Some clicking and emails later I got it back in its usual place and have decided to be more cautious about pawing through and deleting data from the phone.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 7:51 pm 

"You certainly don't want to use iCloud-based accounts in any case whatsoever on a Mac..."

?? I do have an iCloud account and I have backed up the phone both to iTunes on the computer and to iCloud.
Other than that I don't use iCloud - but... is that enough to qualify as don't use it "in any case whatsoever on a Mac." as in even what I've done with the phone backup is a bad thing???

I don't know - does iMessage on the Mac save itself to iCloud?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:46 pm 

On newer versions of OS X you actually log into your Mac with your iCloud account. That's the account. You don't tie your local account to iCloud using system preferences, the password you log into the system with is your iCloud account password and there basically isn't a local account. If you change your iCloud password online you need to type the new iCloud password to get into your Mac.

iMessage is tied to the Apple ID you're using on the system. As many lazy parents have belatedly discovered, if they hand off their MacBook to their kid without logging the kid into their own account, the kid will then see everything that's floating around iMessage on that account across all devices. I told one guy to give the kid his own account on the Mac and his answer was "no" - my response was "okay then, good luck." The guy basically wanted the Mac to somehow figure out that he wasn't the one sitting in front of the system without any effort taken on his part. Oh, and he was having an affair.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:19 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
The guy basically wanted the Mac to somehow figure out that he wasn't the one sitting in front of the system without any effort taken on his part.

But they are too different users, and besides the kid is much smaller, surely the computer can see that.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:45 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
On newer versions of OS X you actually log into your Mac with your iCloud account. That's the account....

The guy basically wanted the Mac to somehow figure out that he wasn't the one sitting in front of the system without any effort taken on his part. Oh, and he was having an affair.

"You certainly don't want to use iCloud-based accounts in any case whatsoever on a Mac..."
So, do you have a choice not to? - Eventually I'll have to move up from Snow and Mavs (and get more RAM)... what does one do if this is a "you certainly don't want to" situation?

Kid probably knew about the affair anyway - and if he didn't this would certainly make it easier for the dad to break it to the kid about the up-coming divorce, shared custody, moving to another state - the mind boggles at what parents can do, should do or not do.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2017 2:12 pm 

Well, in Sierra you are not forced to have an iCloud-based account, it's optional. Will it eventually be required? I doubt it. They would lose whatever little educational, business, and professional markets they have left.

Well, it wasn't quite that nasty. He had already divorced, but he got caught cheating on a friend of mine who he had been dating for several years.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 5:48 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Well, in Sierra you are not forced to have an iCloud-based account, it's optional. Will it eventually be required? I doubt it. They would lose whatever little educational, business, and professional markets they have left.

Well, it wasn't quite that nasty. He had already divorced, but he got caught cheating on a friend of mine who he had been dating for several years.

You might be wrong about that. At least, if you want to keep your files intact on your system. You see, apparently in Sierra, new accounts begin immediately "reclaining disk space", which is Apple's jargon for "let's make crappy versions of your audio/video files and upload them to icloud...OOPS, you don't have enough space but hey, we've already nuked your originals and left you with worthless lossy versions instead. Enjoy!"

Had I not had a full backup done prior to moving to Sierra I'd have lost nearly 150 GB of carefully ripped, tagged, and arranged WAV/FLAC files. All because a new account has no iCloud configuration settings, thus Apple deems it fit to force default icloud settings, which in the case of your files, means they get nuked. And the OS doesn't tell you jack shit about what it's doing behind your back, just that "it's reclaiming disk space". As if I need disk space on a 4 TB HD with 1.5 TB free.

How they haven't been sued over this yet I have no idea.