XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 4:01 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

WD my Passport for Mac 2 TB USB3.

I avoid bus powered drives but was in a pinch so I got this one, it dismounts after about 5 minutes of writing to it.

Sys Info says it uses all 500 mA of the available 500 mA connected directly to computer's USB2 port or to powered USB2 hubs.

Do you think the drive is defective, or would a Powered USB3 hub cure it do you think?

PS. For a tiny 2.5" drive it has impressive USB2 benchmarks here.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:09 pm 
Master

I was under the impression that all Western Digital external drives were defective, more-or-less, if only due to sundry insanity Western Digital inexplicably spends actual money developing and writing in to the firmware. I'm at the point where I will not buy an external WD drive (maybe they've stopped doing crazy firmware things but I don't see any reason I personally need to risk my own time and money to find out).

But more to the point, there are two things that could be causing the problem: the drive, or the computer. If other USB drives don't suffer the same problem, the drive is defective. I doubt it's drawing too much power. If it were, the computer would complain.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 5:18 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, I didn't want a WD encased drive but was in a pinch trying to get stuff backed up before the next rain, guess I'll return it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 8:36 pm 

If you happen to have any of those two-to-one USB cables around, which basically connect power leads from two USB ports to a single port on the drive, that may help.

That being said, the WD 2TB drives are really quite bad. They're essentially 2.5" drives that are too thick to use in a laptop. As you may guess the extra platters aren't doing them any favors when it comes to amount of power needed to spin up the disk.

WD actually doesn't just spend money developing firmware for the bridge controller... I'm not certain if they're licensing technology from other manufacturers or not but the chips are badged WD which means they're not using an off-the-shelf chip, which typically means either a wholly new design or a customized design. Why would someone customize a bridge chip that's already available in bulk in a proven reliable form for pennies? Only WD can say.

If its anything like my old employer, the engineering department essentially has the CxO's ears. Hell, they actually had their placed offices placed throughout managements offices. Brown nosing doesn't even begin to describe it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks, no double USB cables.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:47 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Looks like it might not be the drive, 24 hours ago I decided to see how far I could get with D?U erasing & writing zeros 1 pass.

Hooked to my eMac which I did in the past, but it failed to clone, anyway, 24 hours later progress bar is almost half way through & says Estimated time 18 hours... so either writing zeros keeps it awake at some low level or...???

(If paid by the hour I'd've chosen 35 pass! :P )

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:31 pm 

Maybe you need to reformat it as HFS+. Most drives come preformatted for Windows, and perhaps that is causing it confusion.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:37 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

This one came Mac Formatted, but have redone it several times.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:04 am 

I see. Pretty whacky firmware to unmount itself. I've had some good luck with the Toshiba 2.5" USB drives. I have used them for several years for backups and archiving motorcycle broadcasts. They are reasonably priced.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2017 11:53 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks Roam.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 3:54 pm 

My suspicion is there's something fubar going on with the boards inside drive enclosures,
if you have it hooked up to your eMac as a bare drive then it's not the drive that's defective.
Just the other day a nice expensive Newer Tech enclosure decided to not work,
it wouldn't mount even though the drive icon was on the desktop ( this was a wake from sleep btw).
I took the drive out and installed it inside my G5 tower and the drive was fine, yay, another POS
Newer Tech enclosure for the pile.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 09, 2017 5:46 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Sadly, it;s one of those drive/case comboes that MB warned about...
Quote:
Inside, a WD20NMVW is custom-made for this model. Spinning at 5,400rpm and with the USB 3.0 controller and port integrated into the same printed circuit board, it cannot be removed and separately used in a notebook or desktop computer.

http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/storage/4 ... tb-usb-30/