XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:00 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 1:44 am 
Benevolent Dictator

1/4/17 1:31:56.428 AM com.apple.xpc.launchd[1]: (com.apple.imfoundation.IMRemoteURLConnectionAgent) The _DirtyJetsamMemoryLimit key is not available on this platform.

And just before that...

1/4/17 1:31:56.416 AM com.apple.iCloudHelper[1372]: objc[1372]: Class FALogging is implemented in both /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FamilyCircle.framework/Versions/A/FamilyCircle and /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/FamilyNotification.framework/Versions/A/FamilyNotification. One of the two will be used. Which one is undefined.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:19 am 

This seems to explain DirtyJetsamMemory "DirtyJetsam:" some environmentally concerned coders must have come up with that one. Or it's a sly, members only put down of someone they know named "sam." (Where and what are Sam's jets? Sounds really gross):

http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... ylimit-key

Console messages are getting weirder and more inscrutable at each OS upgrade, where things have become exponentially more complicated. Plus identity crisis: OS X can no longer decide if it's iOS or OS X. 10.11 messages are really nuts. There used to a time when at least some of them made sense to me. Now I hardly pay attention. And what really irks me is System Diagnostic Reports constantly getting cluttered with totally useless and unreadable things (at least to me) like cpu_resource.diag and wakeups_resource.diag messsages, intermixed with the very occasional real crash report.

Last edited by WZZZ on Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:48 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:38 am 

Maybe all the good names are taken...

Just like Dillon Edwards and their www address

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/ ... 1241?snl=1

All the stuff I saw (just poking around because it looked interesting) seems to say it's not something to worry about. Maybe they should name the process 'dontworryboutit' then. With a Brooklyn accent of course.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:50 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, thanks guys.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:08 pm 

Weird, that was exactly what I was expecting it to be. I must have read more iOS documentation than I remembered.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:26 pm 

WZZZ wrote:
This seems to explain DirtyJetsamMemory "DirtyJetsam:" some environmentally concerned coders must have come up with that one. Or it's a sly, members only put down of someone they know named "sam." (Where and what are Sam's jets? Sounds really gross):

http://apple.stackexchange.com/question ... ylimit-key

Console messages are getting weirder and more inscrutable at each OS upgrade, where things have become exponentially more complicated. Plus identity crisis: OS X can no longer decide if it's iOS or OS X. 10.11 messages are really nuts. There used to a time when at least some of them made sense to me. Now I hardly pay attention. And what really irks me is System Diagnostic Reports constantly getting cluttered with totally useless and unreadable things (at least to me) like cpu_resource.diag and wakeups_resource.diag messsages, intermixed with the very occasional real crash report.

You think that's bad? You can't even view the boot logs in console anymore in Sierra. Nope, you have to use some arcane and [i]very[i] hard to uncover terminal command, and it only outputs to the terminal unless you specifically escape it to a text file.

It works mostly as iOS logging does now, which means massive headaches for OS X troubleshooters like myself.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:11 am 

The console message is using nautical terms . Jetsam is what is thrown from a ship when it is at risk of sinking, opposed to flotsam which is the floating debris visible after it has sunk. So the software is seeking to jettison unwanted memory from ram.
Metaphor: still clinging to beauty in this soulless age.

- spoken from my new Android.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:29 pm 

Is it still dmesg for the boot logs or is it something new?

Something new would be very worrying since dmesg does the same thing for Linux and BSD. Not Invented Here is never a good reason to branch off, even if you're going to shave .015 seconds off the boot by doing it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2017 9:04 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Is it still dmesg for the boot logs or is it something new?

Something new would be very worrying since dmesg does the same thing for Linux and BSD. Not Invented Here is never a good reason to branch off, even if you're going to shave .015 seconds off the boot by doing it.

You use this command:

Code:
log show --predicate "processID == 0" --start YYYY-MM-DD --debug

Where the YYYY-MM-DD is obviously the date you want to start from. Console now completely hides the system boot log and is all but useless as a troubleshooting tool now.

If you don't want to be stuck viewing that command's output in Terminal, you can escape it to a text file by adding "> PathToFile/Filename.txt" to it, minus the quotes of course.

Apple is doing is damndest to hide anything useable from the user now. Console behaves exactly as it does in iOS diagnostics now. Yay Jony Ives.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2017 12:08 am 

If nothings logged, the users won't be able to find out the emperor isn't wearing clothes.

Edit: Oh crud, dmesg isn't what I was thinking of. That's for kernel level messaging from device drivers. (yawn) So tired.