XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Thu Sep 21, 2017 10:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:26 pm 

Hello,

Is there a way to find some installers of older OSX versions?

I am still running my Snow Leopard on my MBP 2011 (2.2 GHz, i7, 8 GB RAM), but I am more and more bothered by the need to upgrade because the specific MATLAB tools which I use every day need newer versions of MATLAB that, in turn, need newer versions of OSX.

I wouldn't like to jump into El Captain, because I fear that nothing will work anymore, but I would give it a try to OSX 10.8 - 10.10.

Does anyone know where to find those installers?
And: Which one would you recommend?

Thanks and best wishes for the new year!
Ququq

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 3:46 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Hi,

See if anybody eMails you.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 4:09 pm 

I think Mavericks is the best option, at least it is for me. There was a major jump in style and function from Mavericks to Yosemite and a continuation of that with El Capitain, and it is one that I didn't particularly like. Mavericks remains the best option for me, and is the most modern OS that is still very like Snow Leopard, particularly after a few minor tweaks and modifications - and so I don't have to jump to Yos, which I don't like the look of very much.

However, the installers could be found for all of them, the easiest one to get hold of quickly is Mavericks. PM me if you are interested.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:47 pm 

You can still buy 10.8 from Apple.

I had to update to 10.8 because the firmware updater to update to 10.10, didn’t run in 10.7.

SC

Desktop: Intel mini: 2.33 GHz i5 (G4/C2D minis are out with bad HDDs) OS X 10.10
qBOX-SF with four 2 TB
Peecee - Core i7 4771 W7 Pro 64
Server - Xeon 1231 FreeNAS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:07 am 

I regressed my Macbook Pro from Yosemite to Mavericks. Indeed all my Intel Macs run it now vs anything later. It would certainly be my choice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 2:07 am 

Hello again,

Just to give a follow up:

I have installed Mavericks and it runs well.
Together with some tricks like Shiftlt.app, PathFinder.app and adding the CannedSearch back into Finder side bar (http://www.cultofmac.com/141054/see-onl ... os-x-tips/)

The impression of slow stickiness essentially could be "healed" by accelerating the trackpad and the "inertia scrolling" speed, which seem to have different speed by standard.

Thanks again to all!
ququq

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:23 am 

I just started using Mavericks in a transition from Tiger OS. That's a big enough jump and there's many things that either they are gone or I have not yet found out how to do them as I did before. I did find probably 90% of my software still worked.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 12:57 am 

Hello, I am back!

Anyone knows where to get an installer of OSX El Capitan?

At the App Store it is not available for me.

Thank you!
Ququq

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:26 am 
Benevolent Dictator

You never downloaded it before?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:05 am 

BDAqua wrote:
You never downloaded it before?

No, I never did. I am running Mavericks until now.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:07 am 

I'll sort it. Sent you another PM.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:09 am 

Since 2012 Apple brings out a new release annually, usually around October. They only ever have the latest one available. If you want a copy of their yearly 'updates' you have to download it each year when it is available. Even if you don't want to use it right then.

In other words you have to collect them each year, in the event you want to use one of them some time, when they are no longer available for download you'll have garnered yourself a copy of the installer to use later. To get a copy, you acquire the download from the AppStore, as if you are going to install it, but once it downloads, you can easily quit the process, and the software sits on your hard drive, available for installation should you desire.
If you want a copy of the latest 10.12 get a copy of it while it is still available before it disappears in about six months time.

These OSes are very large, the size of a DVD and are not readily available. Also would you trust downloading your OS from an unknown source on the internet? I don't think there is a reliable source. If you are finished with Mavericks, consider jumping to the latest as there is probably not much difference between 10.11 El Capitan and the current 10.12 Sierra.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:03 pm 

The reason why I would like to update: Mavericks seems below the standards, is not updated by BREW anymore and comes with an old SAFARI.

The reason why I dont want to go for Sierra: I am using a whole bunch of 3rd party software for radiological and electrophysiological data analysis. When updating the OS X too actively, I will rather act as a bug tester for them. So I like to wait a while and then go for a half update... ;-)

I thought that in general someone (a whebsite) kept these installers, but I seem to be wrong.

@Leewave: thank you for your kind help!

Ququq

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 2:10 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:)

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:07 pm 

Once you download macOS, you will have that version of macOS in your bought apps and you can download it again. In theory then, you do not need to keep a copy. You can just download it again [ that's the theory ].

R

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2017 4:16 pm 

Yes, I think that's right but in this case Ququq didn't download Mavericks or El Capitan when they were current OSs and available. So Apple have closed the door for him.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:55 pm 

Yeah, that's why I "purchased" El Capitan, even though I have absolutely no intention of ever using it. At least I can access it in the future if I end up working on a system that won't run Sierra or Fluffy Bunnies (10.13).

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2017 1:08 am 

I have it on reliable gossip that 10.13 will actually be called 'Bunny fluff'.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:29 pm 

roam wrote:
Since 2012 Apple brings out a new release annually, usually around October. They only ever have the latest one available. If you want a copy of their yearly 'updates' you have to download it each year when it is available. Even if you don't want to use it right then.

The last time I checked both El Capitan and Sierra were available to anybody with the hardware capable of supporting them.

I have never owned a new computer. My "new" one I got about a year ago was a hand-me-down late 2008 from my sister which only goes up to El Capitan. The problem in that scenario is you cannot download OSX versions that are not supported by your hardware, so I cannot download Sierra. So let's say I get a newer used computer in a few years and want to run Sierra on it but Apple's at OSX 10.15 or whatever. I can't download Sierra right now to save for when I actually do need it.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:04 pm 

Limnos wrote:
The last time I checked both El Capitan and Sierra were available to anybody with the hardware capable of supporting them.

My iMac can run both but only Sierra is offered. If you can still get El Capitan, that may be exceptional to your Mac being offered the highest version for it, which is useful information.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:23 am 

Link to El Capitan in the Mac App Store --> https://itunes.apple.com/app/os-x-el-ca ... 5434?mt=12.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:35 pm 

It says that version of El Capitan is for users running Snow Leopard who would like to upgrade to macOS Sierra. To upgrade to Sierra you need to install El Capitan first. Also this version can also be installed on Mac computers that are not compatible with Sierra.

So it appears to be a special upgrade path for those still on Snow to get the to the lastest Sierra, or for those like yourself whose Mac can only go this far which was my guess in the last post. It is nice of Apple to provide the latest OS for available hardware.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2017 7:38 pm 

my take awhile to setup...

Get a virtual machine. I have Parallels and virtualbox. I have several versions of macOS installed in Parallels. I'd assume you can run any version of macOS in a virtual machine.

You can get the free version of virtualbox. It doesn't load macOS from a dvd. You need to load from an iso file. I didn't take the time to figure out how to copy from a dvd to an ios file. You could experiment with loading various macos version in virtualbox.

Robert