XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: X SUX!
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 12:50 pm 

Well, not so much the kernel... what idiots are running apple software today? How backwards is it to need to EXCLUDE what not to back up in TimeMachine, but by default have it back everything it can see? I just switched to CCC to make my clone (had been using notsosuperduper which should be free compared to what you get in CCC) and used a new name for the drive to clone to... but forgot to exclude it from TM. So NOW I have every damn file duplicated on my TM backup... all 600+Gs of them.

AND it's been like this for years and years. Idiots.

Post subject: Re: X SUX!
PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 2:39 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Indeed, & you can't really exclude things from TM, at least I couldn't exclude the VM disks, which are one big file, change 1 bit & TM is going to backup 64 GB!

Never had luck with SD myself, I use CCC & Tri-Backup.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:35 pm 

TM can be thought of as a form of versioning backup... kinda like the original Retrospect writing to DAT tape back in the day (if a file was new or different than what was on tape, it got written). Ran a department making books digitally, there were times when we wanted to go back to a version from 2 days ago, 6 days ago, etc. NOT very often, but we could do it. There have been one or two occasions that I wanted a copy of a file from "earlier (TM days)." I remember once it wasn't "early enough" so I simply got a version from a few days earlier than that. Far as I can see, tri-back doesn't really do that.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 6:53 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Tri-Backup does everything TM does & tons more, these are just the Main functions...

Main features

• Bootable copies, minimal system creation, partial copies, multiple filters, automatic triggers.
• Multiple modes: copy, backup, synchronization, deletion, compression, comparison, etc..
• Multiple backup modes: Evolutive (which keeps multiple versions of each document), Mirror (identical copy), Incremental partial Disc Copy, etc.
• Survey action detects any change in the contents of a folder or disk and can launch the execution of an action.
• Copy and reorganize files depending of their date and extension.
• "Programmed Actions" running in the background, with automatic execution.
• Management of various contexts (office, home, nomad) to adapt the execution of certain actions (so that they are activated only in a particular context).
• "Immediate Actions" to check and control precisely what needs to be copied, deleted or modified.
• Ability to make encrypted backup (password protected).
• Create an unlimited number of programmed actions.
• Opening of immediate actions containing the settings stored in your programmed actions.
• Restoration with search of the location where the most recent backup of a particular folder was done.
• Restore Time Machine backups.
• History of executed actions, of copied files, etc..
• Posts information on the progress of actions.
• Automatically mount remote volumes.
• Many tools and information modules.

And decent Error reporting.

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2019 9:16 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
And decent Error reporting.

Whereas Time Machine is the error. ;)

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 9:49 am 

Hmmm, maybe I should look closer, "evolutive" is just a 10,000 mile stretch!

Honestly, been doing TM for something like 4-5 years, the few times I need to get an "older"version it worked fine. It did start complaining to me, but indeed not with anything I could target for the why. Then pulling an older file failed (I got it from my clone!) which lead me to eventually find out the issue was a failing drive. The most recent kerfuffle is simply BAD software design by a robot clone of Ivie, who has ZERO clue about software design.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 12:35 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Well, if TM works for you OK. :)

A bit to cantankerous & out of my control for me.

Should also note the Developer of TB is quite responsive to questions or problems & usually has updates for his SW the day apple releases new bugs! :coffee:

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:22 pm 

Apple believes in opt-out versus opt-in. In other words, they don't understand why spammers are doing anything wrong, they're letting people opt-out.

Time Machine works the same way as Spotlight. The difference with Spotlight is it writes data to every drive. Imagine a friend deleted some files off a drive and he needs that file back. You plug that drive into your Mac. Spotlight immediately, without delay, starts reading & writing to the drive to build (or update) its index. You need to get those files back. But Spotlight is busy writing data to sectors on the drive, sectors that may very well contain the data you want to access. It's impossible, with an opt-out system, to exclude the drive from indexing before you plug it in. You just have to plug it in, immediately open Spotlight, and exclude the drive - hoping that, in the intervening seconds, Spotlight hasn't already blown away the data you're after. One sector in the middle of that file and the data is corrupt (at best - at worst software may not be able to figure out where the rest of the file is, so you'll end up with half an image or the like). This is assuming that Spotlight, on his system, didn't update its index while he was oh-shitting his way through trying to find the files.

Opt-out systems suck. Whether it's spam, backup, or indexing.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 1:36 pm 

Ha, you just reminded me how useless Spotcrap really is. 99% of the time, I am looking for a file, not a mention inside some document (which MAY be usefull the few times you may need it). I can get thousands of returns and have to sift through them. The whole UI is just god awful as well. Use EasyFind. Is there a way to turn it off? OR is there a way to replace it's Finder cmd.-F with launching EasyFind?

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 4:18 pm 

This is why I disable Spotlight entirely. Kills search in the Finder and in most Apple apps, but fuck it, I'd rather not have data loss at the expense of metadata I'll never use and that could be used against me down the line by anyone that gains access to the drive.

Nope, nope, and more nope.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 7:49 pm 

Yeah you can disable Spotlight but it has an annoying tendency to flip itself back on during major updates. There's some file you can put in the root of the drive to disable indexing on that drive too. Doesn't help for new drives but works for existing ones.

But anything that depends on Spotlight for searches will be broken and Apple hasn't provided any way of replacing it with a third party program because user choice is bad, Apple knows best.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:49 pm 
he who stacks pork

I’ve never used Time Machine. Have only used CCC. Fortunately have not had any issues which required me to have to back up from the CCC backups.

What I really miss is the old sector copying utilities from the olden days (yeah, 8-bit shit)… imagine just being able to reproduce an IDENTICAL HD backup, including different partitions/formats. That would kick ass. I remember using a utility back in the Atari 800 days that would do this, but obviously for floppies instead of hard drives.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2019 11:29 pm 

You can do it in the new world. dd makes a bit-for-bit copy from one device to another. If the drive is failing ddrescue is a better option because it has multiple methods of nibbling away at the bad areas to minimize data loss. I use the latter all the time, but then again I'm also the guy people bring broken machines to all the time. Takes a while though. Once you have it on the new drive you have a better chance of getting the drive into a working state or, worst case, recovering data. At least so long as the new drive was zero wiped before you started and isn't also a failing drive. No comment on how I know the last. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 2:19 am 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
I’ve never used Time Machine. Have only used CCC. Fortunately have not had any issues which required me to have to back up from the CCC backups.

What I really miss is the old sector copying utilities from the olden days (yeah, 8-bit shit)… imagine just being able to reproduce an IDENTICAL HD backup, including different partitions/formats. That would kick ass. I remember using a utility back in the Atari 800 days that would do this, but obviously for floppies instead of hard drives.

-he who stacks pork

You can get a dual bay drive dock that has offline cloning that will do a block level copy. DVR owners tend to do this toward the end of the expected lifespan of a drive so they don't lose their recordings since the data is encrypted and tied to the machine (but not the drive thankfully).

MonkeyBoy wrote:
You can do it in the new world. dd makes a bit-for-bit copy from one device to another. If the drive is failing ddrescue is a better option because it has multiple methods of nibbling away at the bad areas to minimize data loss. I use the latter all the time, but then again I'm also the guy people bring broken machines to all the time. Takes a while though. Once you have it on the new drive you have a better chance of getting the drive into a working state or, worst case, recovering data. At least so long as the new drive was zero wiped before you started and isn't also a failing drive. No comment on how I know the last. :roll:

For the purposes I needed, dd would have failed due to bad sectors and ddrescue would have corrupted the data enough that the DVR's scan would balk and refuse to take the drive.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 1:20 pm 

There is a way to make dd ignore bad sectors and continue, although it results in less data transferred than ddrescue.

Sure you're not confusing dd-rescue with ddrescue? dd-rescue was a hot mess.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2019 6:24 pm 
he who stacks pork

Squishy Tia wrote:

-he who stacks pork

You can get a dual bay drive dock that has offline cloning that will do a block level copy. DVR owners tend to do this toward the end of the expected lifespan of a drive so they don't lose their recordings since the data is encrypted and tied to the machine (but not the drive thankfully).

Well that’s nice to know. I wish I was able to clone my old 10.4.8 drive from my dead MDD that has Arena Control (no longer supported) which I paid for a license for. I had tried to get it working when I threw the hard drive into another MDD but it wouldn’t run as it was bugging me for a license. I am unable to contact the developer (his support page was a Mac.com homepage). It was very handy and useful for managing map lists and game type rotations for Quake III Arena; my boys and I used to play matches together a handful of years ago on the LAN and it was quite fun. How much do these devices cost? And would they work with standard PATA interface hard drives?

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 7:36 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:

-he who stacks pork

Well that’s nice to know. I wish I was able to clone my old 10.4.8 drive from my dead MDD that has Arena Control (no longer supported) which I paid for a license for. I had tried to get it working when I threw the hard drive into another MDD but it wouldn’t run as it was bugging me for a license. I am unable to contact the developer (his support page was a Mac.com homepage). It was very handy and useful for managing map lists and game type rotations for Quake III Arena; my boys and I used to play matches together a handful of years ago on the LAN and it was quite fun. How much do these devices cost? And would they work with standard PATA interface hard drives?

-he who stacks pork

I've not seen any PATA/IDE drive docks. Given the nature of the connector used on the drives it isn't difficult to see why, especially since unlike with SATA drives the PATA drives did not always have the connector in the exact same spot. Western Digital was notorious for being incompatible with the PS2's network adapter because of that. You had to use Maxtor drives at the time for compatibility.

So no, I'm afraid you won't find a dock for your purposes. If you've got a working G4/G5 (assuming you were using OS X for this), the trial for Carbon Copy Cloner should do the trick. You'll need their oldest version though as you'd obviously be on PPC and not Intel. If you've got an identical drive to the one you're trying to recover, you can use the dd command in Terminal to copy from it to the new one and it'll do a block level copy. dd is useful for that.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:09 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

To use or clone PATA drives...

Generic SATA/PATA/IDE Drive to USB 2.0 Adapter Converter Cable for 2.5 / 3.5 Inch Hard Drive / 5 inch Optical Drive with External AC Power Adapter

https://www.newegg.com/p/2G6-000J-00001 ... -_-Product

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:42 pm 

More than likely the application uses the motherboard serial# to detect if it's been moved to a new system and force a re-registration if it's been moved. It could also use the on-board ethernet MAC address. There's a lot of wacky software protection methods like that.