XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:08 am 

As far as the firmware update goes, I dunno. In theory you should be golden with the NVidia card in there. I don't know if you've been through a Mac Pro firmware update before but it takes a while and makes some strange beeps, so don't get surprised and try to power it off, just give it 15 minutes to sort itself out before you start panicking.

A router model I use at work takes a whopping 45 minutes to flash. You can say "hey don't panic" but when you've got an inscrutable box with a row of lights that will periodically change during the update but the actual interface won't work until its finished flashing and it takes 45 goddamn minutes... every time I do one I'm panicking by the end...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:22 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Whew, 45 minutes... sounds like Atari Basic which took minutes to finish a For x= 1 to 10:next x loop.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:21 am 

@MB/BD/et al:

Alrighty, my most basic question is whether I can pull the two HDs out, put the new [unformatted] soon to be arriving SSD in virginal state in the number one HD slot, plug the usb flash with installer, reboot into installer . . . and let the installer run the firmware update . . . and run the install . . . which hopefully will allow me to format it OSX Extended/journaled . . . rather than the new ABCDE format . . . . Or, whether I would have to use installer DU to format the SSD probably after the firmware update . . . and then run the install??

Or, better to leave the HDs in place, plug the new SSD in, and use DU from one of the HDs to format the SSD, then go back to my plan to remove the HDs and run the install with just the SSD in the number one slot?? I'm trying to avoid having the new install wipe out GRUB in the two HDs . . . I think it's already a tad "messy" running a number of partitions of mixed OSX and linux in the EFI folder . . . doing an OSX upgrade/install tends to destroy tender parts and makes the situation all the more chaotic . . . ?????

Not too many multi-booters out there, especially in the OSX & linux combo area . . . sometimes things become overly apparent when trying to do something dumb, but, just trying to check to avoid obvious DOOM scenarios . . . .

eep

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 10:42 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm, I read that Death Valley automatically converts internal SSDs to APFS on install, I might be mistaken but that's how I've read it.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 12:36 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Hmmm, I read that Death Valley automatically converts internal SSDs to APFS on install, I might be mistaken but that's how I've read it.

:lol: :lol: :lol: Good name, perhaps that will be the 10.15 nom de plume?? Alrighty, "automatic" "APFS"?? I thought I saw another poster here who claimed to have formatted to Extended Journaled, specifically not choosing APFS . . . ?? So, then the question is the old "resistance is futile" and just submit to the greater wisdom of the Macintosh VISIONQUEST and just go with APFS? Or try to force my way to the old format and see what happens?

Truly not super critical, as the plan was to just have one OS in the SSD as per the @MB guidance some time back, i.e., having multi-boot on SSD defeats the speed benefits of having an SSD . . . .

The other point being that if the installer sets the format to APFS there would be no point to "pre-format" and waste time trying to do that???? But, might be really important to indeed pull the other HDs . . . on the off, or not so off chance that the installer would format them to APFS as well . . . . :classic-eek:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:01 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Yeah, I'd pull the other drives just to be safe.

Look like even 10.13 takes control;...
Quote:
You’re required to upgrade any SSD startup volume when you install High Sierra—there’s no way to prevent it. There was a choice to bypass migrating to APFS while installing High Sierra during the beta period. However, Apple removed that checkbox for the final release. (An earlier version of this article misstated that the checkbox remained. My apologies.)

This shouldn’t be a problem, because it’s unnoticeable, but it might be a reason for you to delay moving to High Sierra if you have an SSD boot partition and want to make sure no APFS issues emerge for other people. It’s rarely a bad idea to wait for macOS 10.X.1 or even 10.X.2.

https://www.macworld.com/article/323015 ... -wait.html

https://tidbits.com/2018/07/23/what-apf ... with-apfs/

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:34 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Yeah, I'd pull the other drives just to be safe.

Look like even 10.13 takes control;...

https://www.macworld.com/article/323015 ... -wait.html

https://tidbits.com/2018/07/23/what-apf ... with-apfs/

@BD:

Thanks. I was "aware" that 10.13 has the option of the APFS format, but because I've been with HDs I guess it hasn't "taken control" . . . ah, the joys of OSX . . . .

Few more days before the SSD shows . . . I'll try to post back then with any gory details . . . . :snail:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2018 1:42 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

:)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:17 am 

To my knowledge APFS is reserved for NVMe storage and not SATA storage. So unless your SSD is soldered onto the motherboard (or in their proprietary NVMe slot, which the Trashcan Pro has, old Mac Pros don't) I don't think you have anything to worry about on that front.

I don't know any reason why pulling all your drives and only having the intended boot device attached would go badly. I'm not sure if the firmware update will run from the flash drive, but that's because almost nobody creates flash drive media and I haven't started experimenting with 10.14 yet.

I wonder if they managed to fix the image problem with installation media/recovery partition? Since 10.11 you haven't been able to create an image from a disk nor restore an image to a disk (except maybe from Terminal, but if you can I don't give a shit because the people I give instructions to can barely handle Disk Utility). You can only do image creation/restores in a fully installed OS. I reported it in 10.11 and again in 10.12 and at that point I stopped reporting it because obviously Apple has better things to do than fix long-standing bugs.

I think you still need to use the trimforce command to enable TRIM on SATA SSDs too. After you install the OS issue a sudo trimforce enable when booted off the SSD. The only drives you can ignore trimforce on are ones with their own built-in garbage collection.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 7:04 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
To my knowledge APFS is reserved for NVMe storage and not SATA storage. So unless your SSD is soldered onto the motherboard (or in their proprietary NVMe slot, which the Trashcan Pro has, old Mac Pros don't) I don't think you have anything to worry about on that front.

OK, well we'll see what happens with it, it does seem like some aspects of APFS would be "good" . . . like floating volumes or whatever they call them in the article that BD posted . . . .

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I don't know any reason why pulling all your drives and only having the intended boot device attached would go badly. I'm not sure if the firmware update will run from the flash drive, but that's because almost nobody creates flash drive media and I haven't started experimenting with 10.14 yet.

"Nobody"??? gasp . . . seems like it is a linux/Lubuntu thing to use flash media to install/test dailies and so forth. I've made a usb installer for most of the last versions of OSX since they stopped including an install CD or DVD . . . pretty handy, and of course easily "formatted" for something else . . . .

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I wonder if they managed to fix the image problem with installation media/recovery partition? Since 10.11 you haven't been able to create an image from a disk nor restore an image to a disk (except maybe from Terminal, but if you can I don't give a shit because the people I give instructions to can barely handle Disk Utility). You can only do image creation/restores in a fully installed OS. I reported it in 10.11 and again in 10.12 and at that point I stopped reporting it because obviously Apple has better things to do than fix long-standing bugs.

Not sure which problem this is referring to, but I think this might be the basic idea that DU "restore" or TM doesn't make a bootable clone of the system, it what, only restores files . . . ??? So, right, this "problem" has been around for quite awhile and was why CCC was so handy (when it was free to educators) . . . still using it for Backing up from my old 09 MBP.

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I think you still need to use the trimforce command to enable TRIM on SATA SSDs too. After you install the OS issue a sudo trimforce enable when booted off the SSD. The only drives you can ignore trimforce on are ones with their own built-in garbage collection.

Alrighty, this is new to me, haven't seen anything on this "TRIM" . . . thing, perhaps because I haven't messed with SSDs before. Do you mean
Code:
sudo trimforce enable
??? is the command? Or, just
Code:
sudo trimforce
??

I'm trying to recall if another problem with OSX is that it doesn't automatically add users to the sudoers list . . . I usually set up a user that isn't admin, but I have some memory of the Terminal not accepting "sudo" . . . . Anyway, I'll run the install as admin and then try running the trimforce invocation and see what happens . . . . Thanks for the details on it. e.e.p.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 11:18 am 

In Disk Utility you can select a partition and create an image from that partition, provided you're not booted off that partition. Hence the need to use the recovery partition or installation media. Similarly you can select a partition and restore an image previously created in disk utility.

I always use media to install OSes, but since it involves Terminal most Mac users run away screaming. Hence my comment about if it's possible to create/restore images from Terminal but not from Disk Utility it's still no good to me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2018 1:13 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
In Disk Utility you can select a partition and create an image from that partition, provided you're not booted off that partition. Hence the need to use the recovery partition or installation media. Similarly you can select a partition and restore an image previously created in disk utility.

I always use media to install OSes, but since it involves Terminal most Mac users run away screaming. Hence my comment about if it's possible to create/restore images from Terminal but not from Disk Utility it's still no good to me.

@MB:

Thanks for the follow-up . . . have not spent too much time playing with OSX under the hood stuff . . . not too much reason to do that. But, so far I haven't had to use Terminal to do an install from usb flash drive . . . I follow the OSX Discussions thread to use "createinstallmedia" . . . and that does use the Terminal to turn the downloaded installer in Applications folder into a bootable installer . . . possibly by double-click from Desktop . . . ??? Once the installer is created no more need for Terminal to install.

Seems like over in linux it is possible to run an upgrade via console . . .

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:14 pm 

createinstallmedia is a Terminal-based utility, but most of the Mac users I know look upon Terminal as a type of alien technology they were not meant to use. Or some kind of ancient technology that isn't current buzzword compliant.

Running the OS installer from Terminal is certainly possible but meh, if the GUI works why mess with Terminal. Plus you'd be using terminal to launch the GUI installation, Apple doesn't make a Terminal-only installation script. There's certainly no reason it couldn't be done but Apple doesn't create one so it doesn't exist.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:20 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
createinstallmedia is a Terminal-based utility, but most of the Mac users I know look upon Terminal as a type of alien technology they were not meant to use. Or some kind of ancient technology that isn't current buzzword compliant.

Running the OS installer from Terminal is certainly possible but meh, if the GUI works why mess with Terminal. Plus you'd be using terminal to launch the GUI installation, Apple doesn't make a Terminal-only installation script. There's certainly no reason it couldn't be done but Apple doesn't create one so it doesn't exist.

@MB:

Right. Using linux has widened my parameters for using the Terminal for basic stuff . . . . What about my question on the "sudo trimforce enable" ??? Is that the command?

The SSD and tray has arrived . . . perhaps tomorrow or Saturday will try the 10.14 install process.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:02 am 

TRIM is essentially a command that the OS sends to an SSD to let it know which blocks should be empty or contain deleted data.

When you delete a file from a HD it doesn't actually go through and wipe those sectors so they don't contain data, it just changes the directory structure to say "these blocks of data are empty" and moves along. That's why if you delete a file you can unerase them to get your data back, at least if you do it quickly. And writing to a sector that already contains data isn't a huge pain because most heads contain both a read/write (or read & write) head plus an erase head so it can erase + write in one pass.

An SSD needs empty blocks of data all the time to quickly write data to and periodically packs them together into contiguous chunks so they use less space. But without interpreting your filesystem's directory structure on the fly as you're writing to it the SSD has no way of knowing what blocks are actually empty. To the SSD once you write data to it, that data has been written to it, and even if you delete it, its still data that it should hold onto because it doesn't know you deleted it. TRIM essentially tells the SSD "I deleted this" so it knows it can discard that data.

This is why if you don't use TRIM over time the drive slows down, because it holds onto all that data until there's no space left on the drive. So it has to, on the fly, move chunks of data around so it can rewrite entire blocks (remember with flash memory you can't write to just part of the block, you have to write the entire block), but since it doesn't know what data it can discard it can only free up little tiny chunks of the drive at a time. With TRIM the OS theoretically lets the SSD know which blocks it can discard, which frees up blocks for it to shuffle data into, which keeps your SSD speedy and wear-leveled.

Interestingly enough in a generation or two of HDs we're supposed to go back to the bad old days of separate erase & write operations. They're talking about using a laser to heat up the platter before it can write data to that sector. Basically moving to a far more permanent type of medium that requires physical persuasion to write. As you can imagine there's a bit of a problem making sure you heat up the exact spot of data you want to write to vs. data in the surrounding area, plus a general buildup of heat.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:38 am 

@MB:

Appreciate the details, looks like the SSD realm is a new game . . . possibly later today I'll be playing around with it.

eep.

[Edit]: So, the deed is done, took longer than it does in linux to install a system, but, all I can say is "wow" . . . amazing system . . . it has this thing called "the Dock" . . . and you can make things "Dark" . . . very cool. :bonk:

Alrighty, well as usual it seems "evolutionary" rather than "revolutionary" . . . there were some "gory" details on the install, to answer my question, "No, you can't install (or I couldn't install) to a fresh drive" . . . took several attempts to get the 10.14 installer to get passed the "The computer needs a video card that meets Metal standards and it can't be locked by xxxxx" with the only option of the "quit" button . . . before I used "Help/support" to read that "Mojave has to be installed on a 10.13.6 system . . . " . . . so off we went with the fresh install of 10.13 (still have the flash drive installer) . . . and that didn't take too long, bu the .6 part took 20+ minutes to install. After that install I ran the
Code:
sudo trimforce enable
command from the Terminal.

Then of course after a restart we were back and this time I just plugged the 10.14 installer in and 2x clicked the disk image on the desktop to start the . . . firmware update . . . shutting down and holding the power button until multiple flashes and then a tone . . . that actually didn't take too long . . . only a couple of minutes and then back to the install . . . took 15 minutes or something for that, and then again a 3.3GB update for 10.14.1 . . . which also took quite awhile to install . . . .

Then I'll spare myself the public embarrassment and humiliation on the details, but suffice it to say that "I had some trouble getting the two HDs to go back into their slots" . . . had a Porkstacker type of moments with ample use of @$%&*!!! . . . had to watch a couple of videos on how to install a hard drive in the Mac Pro to realize the simple error . . . and all was well . . . have yet to reboot into the linux side of things to check to see if they survived the installation . . . should be OK, the many disks are lined up on the right side of the desktop.

Possibly the upgrade would have gone more quickly if I was just upgrading from the 10.13 partition I have installed in the HD, but I wanted to try out the APFS system in its own box . . . free to play on its own, without effect on the other systems, etc. Added a layer of complication.

My question now is, how do I invoke TRIM? Is there a command needed or is this now something that will happen automatically under the hood? [/end edit]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2018 4:32 pm 

este.el.paz wrote:
My question now is, how do I invoke TRIM? Is there a command needed or is this now something that will happen automatically under the hood? [/end edit]

OK . . . um . . . bump . . . um . . . . Did a little online research . . . including a call to the OWC support center . . . . Seems like TRIM is something that is "automatic" or already installed on the OWC SSDs . . . not necessary to do the trimforce command . . . . But, I did it . . . which I'm guessing/thinking means that the SSD is "self-cleaning" . . . itself . . . no further action required to invoke TRIM . . . .

eep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:27 pm 

Oh. You bought an OWC SSD? Yes, those include their own garbage collection routine and don't depend on the OS sending TRIM commands. I almost mentioned that in an earlier response and then went "nah, he probably didn't splurge on one of those."

There are a few other SSDs on the market that similarly do their own GC but they're few and far in-between now. They used to be somewhat common (e.g. any drive with a sandforce controller does its own GC). As a general rule if you have a drive that does its own GC then you don't need to use trimforce. In some cases enabling TRIM on a drive that does its own GC can actually cause issues but the last time I heard of that being a problem was years ago - these days TRIM gets enabled by default on most systems (e.g. if Windows is in AHCI mode it will enable TRIM on any SSD attached via SATA, and I think most flavors of Linux are similarly helpful) so the default behavior on modern SSDs is to gracefully handle TRIM requests even if it means routing them to /dev/null. In ye olden days when it was a problem TRIM wasn't enabled by default on any system.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:24 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Oh. You bought an OWC SSD? Yes, those include their own garbage collection routine and don't depend on the OS sending TRIM commands. I almost mentioned that in an earlier response and then went "nah, he probably didn't splurge on one of those."

There are a few other SSDs on the market that similarly do their own GC but they're few and far in-between now. They used to be somewhat common (e.g. any drive with a sandforce controller does its own GC). In ye olden days when it was a problem TRIM wasn't enabled by default on any system.

LOL . . . it's a "3G" . . . and it wasn't that much more than other options in 250GB that I looked at . . . . And, the good thing about OWC is they have the products that work with the machine all connected . . . as well as having a combo SSD + tray adapter that works etc . . . . The MP 5,1 mobo will only do 3G . . . no point to buy a 6G . . . .

But, they also said that their SSDs won't have a conflict with trimforce and/or sandforce . . . .

Anyway, we're underway with 10.14 . . . an evolution in OSX design . . . . .

eep

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2018 4:41 pm 

Sandforce was an SSD chipset (they're a division of LSI now and not called Sandforce, but same thing different name). For years OWC used Sandforce in their SSDs because OS X didn't natively support TRIM (and even when it did it was really hacky in that it'd turn itself off with updates). You don't support sandforce, it's just a chipset that can be used when a manfacturer is designing an SSD.

I don't know what OWC uses in their SSDs now, but last time I checked (within the last couple weeks) they cost substantially more than Samsung SSDs and Samsung SSDs are substantially more than budget SSDs. A 6G SSD will step down to 3G SATA, it's not an issue. They're fine SSDs by all accounts, the price is just kinda high now that SSDs have finally returned to normal pricing. (so of course Samsung is collaborating with other manufacturers to cut production and drive prices back up)

That being said there's certainly a whole lot of products I like at OWC, its just the need for internal GC is kinda over now that trimforce is available. I recently bought a FW400->FW800 adapter as a matter of fact (though I did it through Amazon) because whoever I last loaned mine to didn't return the &*(#$& thing. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:16 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Sandforce was an SSD chipset (they're a division of LSI now and not called Sandforce, but same thing different name). For years OWC used Sandforce in their SSDs because OS X didn't natively support TRIM (and even when it did it was really hacky in that it'd turn itself off with updates). You don't support sandforce, it's just a chipset that can be used when a manfacturer is designing an SSD.

I don't know what OWC uses in their SSDs now, but last time I checked (within the last couple weeks) they cost substantially more than Samsung SSDs and Samsung SSDs are substantially more than budget SSDs. A 6G SSD will step down to 3G SATA, it's not an issue. They're fine SSDs by all accounts, the price is just kinda high now that SSDs have finally returned to normal pricing. (so of course Samsung is collaborating with other manufacturers to cut production and drive prices back up)

That being said there's certainly a whole lot of products I like at OWC, its just the need for internal GC is kinda over now that trimforce is available. I recently bought a FW400->FW800 adapter as a matter of fact (though I did it through Amazon) because whoever I last loaned mine to didn't return the &*(#$& thing. :roll:

@MB:

Thanks for the further details . . . well, I guess when you are comfortable buying parts for a range of machines it's easier to just see them as "robots" . . . but, from my experience in Mac, like BDs recent RAM experience . . . the Mac "robots" seem more sensitive and picky about what parts get plugged in, and just won't run . . . until their special needs are met. It's a "timesaver" in that sense to go with the OWC selections . . . essentially "pre-tested" . . . . And, then, with the '12 line the HD trays I don't think are "adjustable" to either SSD or HD . . . and if you just ordered the SSD . . . which can be cheap enough, then no tray . . . . And OWC had various tray adapter options ranging from cheap to not so cheap . . . and then a bundle with the 3G option . . . which I don't think the 6Gs were less than the 3G . . . ??

Anyway, it's "done" . . . except I did see while looking around at the trimforce issue, got back to the OWC site and saw that they had dropped the price for my recent purchase by $11 . . . called them and they said they would honor the new/old lower price . . . so far the money has not made it back into my account . . . .

But, yeah, I have a couple of FW400/800 adapter cables . . . still using one . . . I learned back in my construction days to not "lend" tools, as they either didn't come back or, came back broken or messed up . . . with only a "sorry dude" to pay for it . . . LA "style" . . . . Maybe we could arrange a trade, the FW adapter for a PowerMac 3,1 graphics card??? Seems fair enough to me . . . . :classic-eek:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:40 pm 

I haven't laid eyes on that graphics card since before I moved into my current place 5 years ago but I don't remember throwing it out. Wherever I find the shell of my G4 I'll find that card. For a little while I entertained the notion of putting it into my G5 but they moved the ADC power notch and I have an ADC display so I ended up finding a Chinese G5 special on eBay.

The nice thing about OWC is you don't have to buy their drives to get their parts, you can buy just the trays (or FW cases) and DIY everything. There's someone else out there making 2.5" trays for Mac Pros but I can never remember their name.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:15 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I haven't laid eyes on that graphics card since before I moved into my current place 5 years ago but I don't remember throwing it out. Wherever I find the shell of my G4 I'll find that card. For a little while I entertained the notion of putting it into my G5 but they moved the ADC power notch and I have an ADC display so I ended up finding a Chinese G5 special on eBay.

The nice thing about OWC is you don't have to buy their drives to get their parts, you can buy just the trays (or FW cases) and DIY everything. There's someone else out there making 2.5" trays for Mac Pros but I can never remember their name.

Cool. Well, right . . . I have one more HD bay that I could fill with something . . . was thinking that since I have 10.14 in a speedy SSD I **should** have something in linux set up for warp drive as well . . . so I might shop for "deals" in other places . . . ??

If I suddenly decide to bust a move on a G4 card I'll let you know . . . otherwise, holding my breath on you finding the carcass with the card inside . . . somewhere in the closet . . . . :snail: :roll: :coffee: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:18 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Maybe Wegener Media?

https://www.amazon.com/SMR-DRIVESLED-To ... PZ6WV98Q57

http://shop.wegenermedia.com/index.php?main_page=index

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:32 pm 

BDAqua wrote:

This is the one that was in the bundle . . . nice Blue color . . . with an L shape for easy pull/push . . . I think it was cheaper on OWC than this list price . . . .

https://www.amazon.com/OWC-Mount-Drive-2009-2012-Apple/dp/B009P4NEKA/ref=pd_sim_147_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B009P4NEKA&pd_rd_r=5f10bece-e466-11e8-a361-814bd471a8f1&pd_rd_w=HQoY1&pd_rd_wg=3KjxN&pf_rd_i=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_p=18bb0b78-4200-49b9-ac91-f141d61a1780&pf_rd_r=TT835KGGWZ68EBS76SA3&pf_rd_s=desktop-dp-sims&pf_rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=TT835KGGWZ68EBS76SA3

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 105 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next