XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Aug 21, 2018 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Safari & Google
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:00 am 

Just now I'm getting
Quote:
Safari Can't Connect to the Server
Safari can't open the page … blah blah … because Safari can't connect to the server "www.google.com".

What might I need to do to get around this? I'm so used to typing in a few words to get results that this seems utterly bizarre. It's just started happening today.

Edit: Should say that we have two identical iMacs. This problem doesn't occur on the other one.

Post subject: Re: Safari & Google
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:22 pm 

Sounds like you need to flush the DNS cache on the Mac that's afflicted with the problem.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:25 pm 

Thanks ST, but I figured it out just two minutes ago, and was set to 'edit' again until I saw your reply..

Little Snitch. I downloaded an update yesterday and somehow it had outgoing connections to google.com denied. Why? No idea. I changed the rule to allow, as it must have been before, and it all works now.

How I wish I'd thought of LS before posting. It's my brain that need flushed out :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:04 pm 

Ooo that's a good one. I've gotten into the habit of making my allow/deny rules only exist until I quit the app, so in the event I do something... bad... I can just quit and reload and everything works. I have a small number of permanent rules but the rest are just for that particular app's session. Since I keep apps running for days it usually isn't too annoying after the initial crush of prompts.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 12:58 am 

That sounds like good practice, MB. I find LS a bit overwhelming. I have version 4 at the moment and have been using it since version 2. I definitely set any outgoing rule involving FaceBook to 'Deny', for instance Contacts would connect if I didn't ban it. I also generally 'deny forever' any attempt made when I open an email from some commercial outfit. Most of the Rules are beyond my comprehension, even after careful reading.

On a less technical note however, when it comes to incomprehension, nothing even gets near to this from The Guinness Book of Records 1973 under the heading 'Most inexplicable Statute'. It was sent to the editors of TGBOR by a Judge of the Court of Session of Scotland:
Quote:
In the Nuts (unground), (other than ground nuts) Order, the expression nuts shall have reference to such nuts, other than ground nuts, as would but for this amending Order not qualify as nuts (unground) (other than ground nuts) by reason of their being nuts (unground).

Try parsing that! :D

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:03 am 

I should point out, to make my reply to ST clearer that I only have LS on 'my' iMac. That the other one doesn't yet have it is down to my illogical laziness. I must get myself properly organised and get it installed.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:53 am 

RodF wrote:
I should point out, to make my reply to ST clearer that I only have LS on 'my' iMac. That the other one doesn't yet have it is down to my illogical laziness. I must get myself properly organised and get it installed.

I'd have done the LS long ago except for its really obnoxious learning curve and frustrating initial setup.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:51 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
I'd have done the LS long ago except for its really obnoxious learning curve and frustrating initial setup.

Well, to have someone as obviously knowledgeable as you say that makes me feel a little less dimwitted. :D

Thanks!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:33 am 

LS is one of those tools that I wish was available for every OS. It could save me from building so many iptables rules by hand...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:54 am 

My other peace-of-mind app is SpamSieve, for Mail. Worth every penny. (I have no financial interest in stating that … )