XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:44 pm 

Avoid the GTX 1050, especially the "new" 1050s that just came out with less RAM and a 192-bit memory bus vs. the 384-bit bus used by the regular "good" 1050s. A GTX 1060 should do just fine for you unless you need gaming oomph. And they'll nearly all use either a single 8-pin connector or two 6-pin connectors. You could also choose your own GPU and send it in for flashing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:40 pm 
he who stacks pork

Since the first version of OS X, my mindset has been that of, “You first, suckers– let us know what broke, and how much data you lost”. A year or two later I would pick up the gauntlet and run with it (making religious backups weekly along the way); It’s the only way to be sure (just like taking off and nuking the entire site from orbit).

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:28 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
Avoid the GTX 1050, especially the "new" 1050s that just came out with less RAM and a 192-bit memory bus vs. the 384-bit bus used by the regular "good" 1050s. A GTX 1060 should do just fine for you unless you need gaming oomph. And they'll nearly all use either a single 8-pin connector or two 6-pin connectors. You could also choose your own GPU and send it in for flashing.

@ST: Thanks for the follow-up . . . so, it seems like you and MB are suggesting that a card could be sent in to macvidcard and they would flash it for mac-friendly?? May or may not be feasible or cheaper to go that way??

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Since the first version of OS X, my mindset has been that of, “You first, suckers– let us know what broke, and how much data you lost”. A year or two later I would pick up the gauntlet and run with it (making religious backups weekly along the way); It’s the only way to be sure (just like taking off and nuking the entire site from orbit).
-he who stacks pork

@LP: How are you handling this latest heat wave? :upset: Traditionally I wouldn't be in a hurry to get 10.14, but there is this whole new short timeline on the server thing, and then it seems like it only downloads to a computer that meets the App Store requirements . . . . Years back for one update or upgrade I needed but was on dial-up, Apple suggested I go to a Store and download it on one of their computers in the store . . . don't know if they would still be doing that . . . but, if I had the installer on a usb drive I could take as long as I needed to find that "special card" for the special price . . . .

eep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm 
he who stacks pork

este.el.paz wrote:
@LP: How are you handling this latest heat wave? :upset: Traditionally I wouldn't be in a hurry to get 10.14, but there is this whole new short timeline on the server thing, and then it seems like it only downloads to a computer that meets the App Store requirements . . . . Years back for one update or upgrade I needed but was on dial-up, Apple suggested I go to a Store and download it on one of their computers in the store . . . don't know if they would still be doing that . . . but, if I had the installer on a usb drive I could take as long as I needed to find that "special card" for the special price . . . .

eep

The heatwave is sorta sucking for me. The temperatures have consistently been 5 - 15° higher than the “forecasters” have “forecast”. My apartment has zero insulation, so it would seem, and has visible gaps around the front door and the sliding glass door, such that spiders + silverfish can freely come and go as they wish, so you can imagine that the heat does the same. I have found that running the in-wall AC unit (no central circulation) makes it so that the only bearable room is the living room area… well at least for a few hours. Fortunately in the middle of the day the humidity has been on the low side (20 – 30%) otherwise it would suck even more, but after 8:00PM there is zero breeze outside and the humidity ramps up to 85% by 5:00AM. Not the worst summer in the bay area I’ve experienced but certainly not great for me seeing as I work part-time from home. It is possible that the most recent powersupply casualty was due to the heat, but I would have thought the powersupply designers would have put a thermal sensor in there to shut it down instead of frying itself. Can only wish I guess.

As for the updates, I have had zero issues downloading the installer for 10.13.x (took only a couple hours on AT&T’s ultra-awesomeballs 1.5Mbps DSL). I’ve not yet decided installing 10.14.x is a great idea until it’s beyond a beta release. I have successfully created bootable USB installers for 10.11.x, 10.12.x, and 10.13.x… just need to wait for the new Hackintosh parts to arrive so I can assemble and install 10.13.x.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:34 pm 

@thePorkstacker:

Thought you were in BH . . . but, yep, even over in Venice the Sun cooks the frame house up like a sauna that lasts until 3am . . . . :coffee:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:37 pm 
he who stacks pork

este.el.paz wrote:
@thePorkstacker:

Thought you were in BH . . . but, yep, even over in Venice the Sun cooks the frame house up like a sauna that lasts until 3am . . . . :coffee:

I have no idea what “BH” is, but a part of one’s anatomy comes to mind. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:47 pm 

este.el.paz wrote:
@thePorkstacker:

I have no idea what “BH” is, but a part of one’s anatomy comes to mind. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-he who stacks pork

???? Beverly Heellss ???

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:03 pm 
Master

Oh man, Porkstacker should have been there! Wow, yeah baby! Beverly Heels did this amazing show at a loca... wait, what are we talking about here?

Oh... uh... sort of just, um, never mind.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:20 am 

Anonymous wrote:
Oh man, Porkstacker should have been there! Wow, yeah baby! Beverly Heels did this amazing show at a loca... wait, what are we talking about here?

Oh... uh... sort of just, um, never mind.

- Anonymous

Yep . . . another "friend" of our fearless leader . . . for a price . . . . :whip:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:12 am 

Swimming Pools... movie stars... (pulls out banjo)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:35 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Swimming Pools... movie stars... (pulls out banjo)

A swimming pool would be great about now . . . too far from the Heels to have access to the old Heelbilly digs . . . . :upset: :coffee:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:21 am 

Anonymous wrote:

And despite all the frustrations that usually come with a new OS, I have no illusions that the grass is greener on the other side. I use Linux a fair amount at work, and the worst day using OS X's graphical interface is 1/100 as aggravating as the pervasive inconsistency and breakage in various flavors of Ubuntu. If you only see the command line, Linux is better, but that's a different animal.

- Anonymous

@Anonymous:

Wanted to follow up on this reflection, indeed, OSX is generally "stable" as an OS, but if you factor in the cost of buying an Apple and the issues with machines dropping out of support in a few years despite no real problems with the hardware, and the general restrictions on upgrading parts . . . then the linux realm comes closer to being "worth" it . . . . Does seem like there are some apps that only work with OSX or Windows . . . but, generally linux does offer something that could do the job . . . .

But, having said that, playing with U-MATE 18.04 yesterday and today, little things do crop up . . . like not reviving from suspend with keyboard click, and stuff not happening with clicking . . . .

Lately, I've been going with Gecko MATE rolling as the main squeeze out of a range of OSX and linux . . . it's like ubuntu is to debian in the OpenSUSE realm . . . it's running I think 4.17 kernel . . . behaves well . . . . Just a few things to learn, like it uses "zypper" instead of "apt" . . . that kind of thing. :coffee:

I also have Tumbleweed in another partition, but don't exactly like the GNOME desktop . . . even though it does what it does, I prefer the MATE GUI . . . .

eep

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:13 pm 
Master

It's certainly a lot easier to be happy with Linux if you're on a limited budget. I find Apple generally supports systems longer than I'm willing to keep using them, but not by much, and I'm fortunate enough to be able to afford a new computer when I need one. I usually keep my systems about five years, but would (and do) keep the desktops longer; they just lose some of their utility at some point.

It seems like Apple generally supports systems with OS upgrades for about seven years after the model is discontinued, and that's long enough for me, although I wish it were longer and it's definitely not long enough for lots of other people.

That, and the disposable nature of even well built Apple hardware, tarnish the brand and the desirability of its systems.

Back to Linux, the little obnoxious screw-ups, oversights, UI bugs, design flaws, and WTF moments in the implementations of Linux on the desktop (at least all the variations I've used) make it too distracting and infuriating for me to routinely tolerate for day-to-day work. It gets in the way. I suspect someone less fussy and experienced with computers could overlook the flaws because they don't know anything different or better and have no higher expectations, but I can't stand it. It would also be a lot easier to tolerate those flaws if I didn't have the option of anything better. In the end, for me, Linux is good as a server and that's where I'll keep it.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 9:31 am 

@anonymous:

Sure, I get it, if you are a pro and your livelihood depends upon your equipment, and you can make good money at it, then no need to fart around; your business can support the new equipment upgrades and generally apple makes a good product . . . .

But, in response I offer . . . my 2012 Mac Pro is not supported by 10.14 . . . so roughly 5.5+ yr old Pro line computer is not supported out of the box to the new OSX unless I upgrade the video card . . . and it seems to be to a card(s) that aren't flashed for apple??? Price to do that runs from mild to wild . . . for the regular schlepp who just is doing non-professional, or pro bono stuff this kind of business model that apple has been doing for years, i.e., they don't support their own hardware platforms with software upgrades . . . hard to find that amusing when the internals are not radically different than generic PCs . . . .

Will 10.14 be so radically different than 10.13 that it would be worth spending the thousands of dollars to buy the radically enhanced hardware that will run this super-sized operating system from the distant galaxies that has features that have never touched down on planet Earth? Unlikely . . . probably it's a gently "modified" operating system . . . with perhaps some better links to social media sites than it has had up until now . . . .

Apple does "upwardly mobile lifestyle" very well . . . but, like Facebook, do we really NEED it? Or we just "like" it???

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2018 2:50 pm 
he who stacks pork

LOL! Me + Beverly Hills = :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I wish I was that plastic, and had money running out of my ass 24x7. Just trying to survive in Sillycone Valley.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:34 am 

LOL! Me + Beverly Hills = :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I wish I was that plastic, and had money running out of my ass 24x7. Just trying to survive in Sillycone Valley.

-he who stacks pork

O . . . my . . . guess I misunderstood, thought I saw a post from you mentioning how "hot it was in Bev Hills" over on the distributednet thread . . . sometime last year?? No worries, but not sure if it is now any cheaper to live in Silicone Valley area than in Bev Hills . . . some places there are rather "pedestrian" and might not be radically more expensive than other westside areas . . . it's just "a place" . . . perhaps north of Wilshire/SM blvd would be where the super wealthy reside . . . super wealth does generally require the "plasticity" of personality that thinking about money 24/7 creates . . . but, that isn't restricted to BH, nor even to LA . . . but is found there more often than not--might also be happening in SV area???

Back on topic . . . still haven't had the opportunity to try out 10.14 . . . computer still isn't a qualifier so App Store isn't showing the download as available . . . . :snail: :bonk: :classic-eek: :emphatic-eek: :fishsmack:

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2018 10:54 am 

10.14 isn't available unless you sign up for the beta program, and I'm not sure if they're even signing up non-ADC members for it yet. The last I heard they were looking to add support for Mac Pros in later builds.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 5:40 pm 

i've been trying to get PB3 to install on my old C2D hackintosh and succeeded! the big trick was replacing com.apple.telemetry.plugin in S/L/UserEventPlugins with High Sierra's file from the same location.

it recognizes my video card as a R9 390, but something is just a little off to make it not fully accelerated. i've had this identical issue with sierra and high sierra. i'll have to tinker some more to see if i can get it to work fully.

dark mode works. this is about the only thing i was interested in!

Last edited by mc68k on Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:41 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Did it have a particular complaint before replacing that file?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 6:09 am 

it would get through the all of the install. on the first boot it would get to that gray screen where you first set up your language, then it would reboot before any window popped up. maybe a kernel panic?

the procedure to get there was createusbinstallmedia as usual. then clover+spoof imac 14,2+kext nullcpupowermanagement + kext fakesmc

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:04 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
The last I heard they were looking to add support for Mac Pros in later builds.

@MB:

Ah, thanks for that . . . I can use the "wait and see" approach, and let that determine the update schedule . . . .

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 12:17 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks mc68k. :)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 2:06 pm 

este.el.paz wrote:
Ah, thanks for that . . . I can use the "wait and see" approach, and let that determine the update schedule . . . .

Don't forget that you also need a Metal-compatible card to run 10.14.

Personally I don't see myself ever spending $350 (much less more) on a video card and certainly wouldn't look askance at anyone who felt the same way.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2018 4:31 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
este.el.paz wrote:

Don't forget that you also need a Metal-compatible card to run 10.14.

Personally I don't see myself ever spending $350 (much less more) on a video card and certainly wouldn't look askance at anyone who felt the same way.

@MB:

O . . . so there would still be a need for the "enhanced Metallica" video card . . .??? So, that part hasn't changed as far as Apple "supporting" the '12 Mac Pro goes . . . here I was thinking that after the debut of 10.14 beta they were going to retro-actively get 10.14 to run on their hardware . . . sans upgrade . . . .

I would indeed "hesitate" to spend that kind of dough to just run an operating system . . . like for no other professional necessity reason other than to operate the desktop apps??? Like, if a Metal card was like . . . $50 . . . that would be "reasonable and justifiable" expense . . . . :coffee: :whip: :lol: :shock: :? :( :o

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:33 pm 

To run 10.14 the GPU has to support Metal, at least not without involving Hackintosh methods.

The models they're supporting are the only ones they've committed to upgrading to Metal-compatible drivers. They could do it for more, buuuut that would mean writing and maintaining those drivers, and they've got to force people to upgrade their perfectly functioning hardware somehow.

The Mac Pro is supported because you can get third party (e.g. NVidia) cards that third parties (e.g. NVidia) have committed to building Metal drivers for their hardware. And because they would have a massive revolt on their hands from all the professional users who laughed at the trashcan pro (in other words - most of them).