XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 6:44 pm 

Avoid the GTX 1050, especially the "new" 1050s that just came out with less RAM and a 192-bit memory bus vs. the 384-bit bus used by the regular "good" 1050s. A GTX 1060 should do just fine for you unless you need gaming oomph. And they'll nearly all use either a single 8-pin connector or two 6-pin connectors. You could also choose your own GPU and send it in for flashing.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:40 pm 
he who stacks pork

Since the first version of OS X, my mindset has been that of, “You first, suckers– let us know what broke, and how much data you lost”. A year or two later I would pick up the gauntlet and run with it (making religious backups weekly along the way); It’s the only way to be sure (just like taking off and nuking the entire site from orbit).

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:28 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
Avoid the GTX 1050, especially the "new" 1050s that just came out with less RAM and a 192-bit memory bus vs. the 384-bit bus used by the regular "good" 1050s. A GTX 1060 should do just fine for you unless you need gaming oomph. And they'll nearly all use either a single 8-pin connector or two 6-pin connectors. You could also choose your own GPU and send it in for flashing.

@ST: Thanks for the follow-up . . . so, it seems like you and MB are suggesting that a card could be sent in to macvidcard and they would flash it for mac-friendly?? May or may not be feasible or cheaper to go that way??

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
Since the first version of OS X, my mindset has been that of, “You first, suckers– let us know what broke, and how much data you lost”. A year or two later I would pick up the gauntlet and run with it (making religious backups weekly along the way); It’s the only way to be sure (just like taking off and nuking the entire site from orbit).
-he who stacks pork

@LP: How are you handling this latest heat wave? :upset: Traditionally I wouldn't be in a hurry to get 10.14, but there is this whole new short timeline on the server thing, and then it seems like it only downloads to a computer that meets the App Store requirements . . . . Years back for one update or upgrade I needed but was on dial-up, Apple suggested I go to a Store and download it on one of their computers in the store . . . don't know if they would still be doing that . . . but, if I had the installer on a usb drive I could take as long as I needed to find that "special card" for the special price . . . .

eep

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 2:48 pm 
he who stacks pork

este.el.paz wrote:
@LP: How are you handling this latest heat wave? :upset: Traditionally I wouldn't be in a hurry to get 10.14, but there is this whole new short timeline on the server thing, and then it seems like it only downloads to a computer that meets the App Store requirements . . . . Years back for one update or upgrade I needed but was on dial-up, Apple suggested I go to a Store and download it on one of their computers in the store . . . don't know if they would still be doing that . . . but, if I had the installer on a usb drive I could take as long as I needed to find that "special card" for the special price . . . .

eep

The heatwave is sorta sucking for me. The temperatures have consistently been 5 - 15° higher than the “forecasters” have “forecast”. My apartment has zero insulation, so it would seem, and has visible gaps around the front door and the sliding glass door, such that spiders + silverfish can freely come and go as they wish, so you can imagine that the heat does the same. I have found that running the in-wall AC unit (no central circulation) makes it so that the only bearable room is the living room area… well at least for a few hours. Fortunately in the middle of the day the humidity has been on the low side (20 – 30%) otherwise it would suck even more, but after 8:00PM there is zero breeze outside and the humidity ramps up to 85% by 5:00AM. Not the worst summer in the bay area I’ve experienced but certainly not great for me seeing as I work part-time from home. It is possible that the most recent powersupply casualty was due to the heat, but I would have thought the powersupply designers would have put a thermal sensor in there to shut it down instead of frying itself. Can only wish I guess.

As for the updates, I have had zero issues downloading the installer for 10.13.x (took only a couple hours on AT&T’s ultra-awesomeballs 1.5Mbps DSL). I’ve not yet decided installing 10.14.x is a great idea until it’s beyond a beta release. I have successfully created bootable USB installers for 10.11.x, 10.12.x, and 10.13.x… just need to wait for the new Hackintosh parts to arrive so I can assemble and install 10.13.x.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 6:34 pm 

@thePorkstacker:

Thought you were in BH . . . but, yep, even over in Venice the Sun cooks the frame house up like a sauna that lasts until 3am . . . . :coffee:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:37 pm 
he who stacks pork

este.el.paz wrote:
@thePorkstacker:

Thought you were in BH . . . but, yep, even over in Venice the Sun cooks the frame house up like a sauna that lasts until 3am . . . . :coffee:

I have no idea what “BH” is, but a part of one’s anatomy comes to mind. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 6:47 pm 

Leopold Porkstacker wrote:
este.el.paz wrote:
@thePorkstacker:

I have no idea what “BH” is, but a part of one’s anatomy comes to mind. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

-he who stacks pork

???? Beverly Heellss ???

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:03 pm 
Master

Oh man, Porkstacker should have been there! Wow, yeah baby! Beverly Heels did this amazing show at a loca... wait, what are we talking about here?

Oh... uh... sort of just, um, never mind.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:20 am 

Anonymous wrote:
Oh man, Porkstacker should have been there! Wow, yeah baby! Beverly Heels did this amazing show at a loca... wait, what are we talking about here?

Oh... uh... sort of just, um, never mind.

- Anonymous

Yep . . . another "friend" of our fearless leader . . . for a price . . . . :whip:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:12 am 

Swimming Pools... movie stars... (pulls out banjo)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:35 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Swimming Pools... movie stars... (pulls out banjo)

A swimming pool would be great about now . . . too far from the Heels to have access to the old Heelbilly digs . . . . :upset: :coffee:

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2018 7:21 am 

Anonymous wrote:

And despite all the frustrations that usually come with a new OS, I have no illusions that the grass is greener on the other side. I use Linux a fair amount at work, and the worst day using OS X's graphical interface is 1/100 as aggravating as the pervasive inconsistency and breakage in various flavors of Ubuntu. If you only see the command line, Linux is better, but that's a different animal.

- Anonymous

@Anonymous:

Wanted to follow up on this reflection, indeed, OSX is generally "stable" as an OS, but if you factor in the cost of buying an Apple and the issues with machines dropping out of support in a few years despite no real problems with the hardware, and the general restrictions on upgrading parts . . . then the linux realm comes closer to being "worth" it . . . . Does seem like there are some apps that only work with OSX or Windows . . . but, generally linux does offer something that could do the job . . . .

But, having said that, playing with U-MATE 18.04 yesterday and today, little things do crop up . . . like not reviving from suspend with keyboard click, and stuff not happening with clicking . . . .

Lately, I've been going with Gecko MATE rolling as the main squeeze out of a range of OSX and linux . . . it's like ubuntu is to debian in the OpenSUSE realm . . . it's running I think 4.17 kernel . . . behaves well . . . . Just a few things to learn, like it uses "zypper" instead of "apt" . . . that kind of thing. :coffee:

I also have Tumbleweed in another partition, but don't exactly like the GNOME desktop . . . even though it does what it does, I prefer the MATE GUI . . . .

eep