XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sun Sep 23, 2018 8:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:17 pm 

WZZZ, have you made sure that the Wake for ethernet network access is unchecked in the Energy Saver prefpane? It looks like that's active and waking up your computer(s).

Last edited by Squishy Tia on Sun Apr 15, 2018 4:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:53 pm 

Squishy Tia wrote:
WZZZ, have you made sure that the [b[Wake for ethernet network access[/b] is unchecked in the Energy Saver prefpane? It looks like that's active and waking up your computer(s).

Need it set like that so the two computers can say hello, and wake each other up. I'm beginning to think I will just ignore those logs. Both Macs not showng any increase in load cycle/new spinups from before waking up. Think DisableSleepProxyClient must still be working. Whatever else may be going on, that's all I really care about,

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:28 am 

WZZZ wrote:
What to do? I would still be on ML, or even Snow, if not for the need to have continuing Apple support--only reason I just moved from 10.11 to 10.12. Not interested in any of the new features/gimmicks.

The way I play it is have a supported up to date OS which essentially means keeping the internet gremlins at bay, real or imagined, and equally stay away from that social media guff and refrain from oversharing to give the dataminers slim pickings.

This leaves an out of date OS (more than one) that I boot to which never connects to the internet but retains software and a functionality that I've grown used to. In short, different OSes for different purposes. I can't see another way to traverse this ever changing landscape though I appreciate your attempts to wrangle the recalcitrant latest offering.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:04 am 

New information from the wakeup this AM:

2018-04-15 10:21:07 -0400 Assertions PID 175(mDNSResponder) Created MaintenanceWake "mDNSResponder:maintenance" 00:00:00 id:0x0xd000081ff [System: DeclUser BGTask SRPrevSleep kCPU kDisp]
2018-04-15 10:21:09 -0400 Assertions PID 175(mDNSResponder) Released MaintenanceWake "mDNSResponder:maintenance" 00:00:01 id:0x0xd000081ff [System: DeclUser kDisp]
2018-04-15 10:21:17 -0400 Wake Wake from Normal Sleep [CDNVA] due to OHC1/HID Activity: Using AC

First, "Created MaintenanceWake" at 10:21:07. 2 seconds later, "Released Maintenance wake." 8 seconds later, computer wakes up.

Why would all this occur within 10 seconds of a wakeup? Why does a wake from sleep trigger a MaintenanceWake??? Conclusion: no idea what MaintenanceWake is supposed to mean. Again, no spinups while sleeping.

My guess is that all this is most likely related to my having added DisableSleepProxyClient to mDNSResponder.plist ProgramArguments. Unless something else calls my attention to this, I'm forgetting about the whole thing.

EDIT Also thinking now that I probably would have seen all this in 10.11, as well, had I been forced there to dig out "wake reason" by using the command line, instead of Console.