XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:23 pm 

I may be the only one here who has this issue, but I frequently boot off installation media or the recovery partition in order to image the internal HD prior to wiping it out (either for a fresh OS install or, more likely, restoring an image).

The problem is the system goes to sleep in the middle of imaging because the recovery partition's OS has sleep enabled.

I stumbled across the Terminal command caffeinate tonight, which can be used to prevent the system from sleeping. It can also be used to stop the system sleeping AND launch another command, which is precisely what I needed.

In short, once into the recovery partition you can go to the Utilities menu to launch Terminal, then caffeinate /Applications/Utilities/Disk\ Utility.app/Contents/MacOS/Disk\ Utility

Voila, now I can go to sleep, walk out of the office, and generally be productive (or rested) while the system is interminably tied up creating a disk image (or restoring a disk image).

Now, if you don't mind, I'm going to go home and get some sleep. :D

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great tip MB, thanks! :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 11:35 am 
Master

Thanks! That will be useful someday. This has been a source of some misery in the past. When it happens I sit there thinking, "no...they wouldn't have possibly let the computer go to sleep while it was in the middle of a long running important tas..." but yes, yes it did go to sleep.
:fishsmack:
- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2018 3:50 pm 

Yeah, that was me a few weeks ago. Leave for the night with a system creating an image, walk in that morning... only 50% because it went to sleep.

If you have a normal multiprocess system (e.g. normal OS X) you can literally just run caffeinate in a terminal window and then go off and do your other things. While caffeinate is running the system won't sleep. Hit control c in that Terminal window to end caffeinate. Of course in those instances you could just change os x's sleep settings so it's not quite as useful, though the simplicity of caffeinate has an appeal. If I have Terminal open anyway I can just open a new window and caffeinate, then kick off whatever process I'm running in the other window. Or caffeinate just for that process so when the process ends the system returns to normal sleep schedule.

To be honest I can't recall any Windows equivalent for caffeinate, so hey, another feather in OS X's cap.