XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun May 20, 2018 9:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 2:47 pm 

Running both 52.6esr and 58 in different profiles (El Cap.) Mainly using the esr until EOL. Experimenting with the 58 (beware: playing with CSS in userChrome.css can be very addictive.)

Sys Prefs-->General shows both, but won't allow me to select the 52. When I try selecting the esr, it immediately snaps to the 58. Will let me set Safari or Chrome as default, but since I started running the 57/58, the only FF it allows is the 58. Gave my user admin privileges, but didn't help.

Can be very annoying, because if I hit a link in Mail or somewhere else it tries to open the 58 using the esr profile (esr profile is set in Terminal) and immediately tries updating and corrupting the esr profile. Not the end of the world, since I always keep a backup of the esr profile at the ready, but would like to be able to change this setting to avoid this happening repeatedly. Some evil force somewhere in the system decided it only wants the 58. Or greedily thinks higher numbers are better?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 pm 

I know OS X loves to choose the latest executable version it knows about. Does renaming the ESR's app change the behavior at all?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:19 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I know OS X loves to choose the latest executable version it knows about. Does renaming the ESR's app change the behavior at all?

Even if possible where it would matter, doubtful that renaming would fix this. Since it was installed after the esr, could be it's just that, last sibling to arrive gets the cigar (not sure a 3 month old should be smoking.) Anyway, will have to look into renaming. What's also weird is that, besides the esr and the 58, the 24 is listed--but can't select that either.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:26 pm 

I've had multiple versions of apps before and the only way I've ever been able to assign actions to the older app is by calling them different names. On my G5 I have TFF 17 and TFF current and can assign either one to be the default action and it sticks.

It used to be you had four letter type & creator codes assigned to every file on your system, and when two applications had the same type & creator code the OS would get a little wonky about which one it wanted to open. There were ways but they tended to break frequently.

Now there's pretty much only the name of the app and internals in the app itself. Rename the app and the OS has fewer options about not treating it as a different app. The only real downside is that you have to build a whole new set of Little Snitch rules.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2018 8:36 pm 

Yeah, pretty much as MB says on the multiple application copy thing. I haven't had much experience with the default browser thing because I almost never start a browser without using the application icon itself. I have had various copies of FF42ESR, FF56, and now Waterfox running. Sometimes multiple copies of the application using Profile Switcher.

I have another application I want to have open as 2 copies. I not only renamed the application in Finder but I also remember going into the package and messing with the identifiers so it didn't overwrite its own caches and would generate two sets of preferences files.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:05 am 

Back on the desktop Mac now, so I can see what's actually happening. Both FF apps already renamed in /Applications: "Firefox.app" and "Firefox Q.app" (for Quantum)

Looking at package contents-->MacOS, the executables for both apps are the same: "Firefox" and "Firefox-bin"

But what is interesting is that in Sys Prefs, the 58 shows up as Firefox Q.app (58.0), with the "58.0" tacked on. So it's picking up the "(58.0)" from somewhere other than the name in /Applications. Maybe from "About Firefox?" No idea where else it could be getting that from. (Also, the 52.6, which I can't select, is named plain "Firefox.app" in /Applications, but in Sys Prefs it's "Firefox.app (52.6.0)" )

If I knew where in /System it's getting the version number, I might be able to change the name there.

EDIT: rebuilding LaunchServices database doesn't help. Also noticed that when I select the 52, it does appear as my choice for default, but only momentarily. Right away something says, uh, no, no that's not right, and switches it to the 58.

Last edited by WZZZ on Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:18 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Hopefully Limnos points out where the identifiers are stored... I used to know. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 6:26 am 

Package Contents->info.plist, among many other entries, shows

</array>
<key>CFBundleExecutable</key>
<string>firefox</string>
<key>CFBundleGetInfoString</key>
<string>Firefox 52.6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleIconFile</key>
<string>firefox.icns</string>
<key>CFBundleIdentifier</key>
<string>org.mozilla.firefox</string>
<key>CFBundleInfoDictionaryVersion</key>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>Firefox</string>
<key>CFBundlePackageType</key>
<string>APPL</string>
<key>CFBundleShortVersionString</key>
<string>52.6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleSignature</key>
<string>MOZB</string>
<key>CFBundleURLTypes</key>
<array>

But don't want to do any editing there until I know what I'm doing. Used FAF as root to search for "Firefox.app (52.6.0)" and "Firefox Q.app (58.0)" Found nothing at all.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:16 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Maybe move the newer FF out of Applications, then rebuild the Launch DB?

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 11:34 am 

No harm giving that a try, even though I'm not sure what your thinking is behind that. I'm guessing that as soon as I put the 58 back in Applications, after rebuilding the LS database, I'll be right back where I started.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:14 pm 

As expected, right back where I started. Naturally, with just the esr in Applications and after doing the rebuild, Sys Prefs showed that as the default, but with the 58 back, no dice. Just that again.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Won't 58 run from outside the Application folder if you need it?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:15 am 

Moved the 58 to the Desktop, did another LS database rebuild. Still no dice--Sys Prefs still allowing only the 58. The only way to have the esr as the default, so far, is to trash the 58.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2018 10:24 pm 

Does it show only 58 or just only allow 58 to be chosen? Mine shows every last version I have installed on both my boot partition and mounted recovery partition (clone of the boot partition that gets updated periodically via CCC5).

Attachment:
File comment: Tia's choices
Default Web Apps Tia.jpg [115.41 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Edit: Why won't this forum allow for in-post picture placement anymore without using an external host?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:24 am 

Squishy Tia wrote:
Edit: Why won't this forum allow for in-post picture placement anymore without using an external host?

First, thanks for posting that graphic of Sys Prefs General.

With inline images, I have found that if the image is too wide, that larger size breaks it.
Starting with 880p yes :mrgreen: but 1024p no :nothappy: Eventually seven tries later narrowed it down to getting an image 900 pixels wide showing inline but 950p or wider breaks it and just shows a link.
Pretty weird.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:46 am 

[quote="Squishy Tia"]Does it show only 58 or just only allow 58 to be chosen? Mine shows every last version I have installed on both my boot partition and mounted recovery partition (clone of the boot partition that gets updated periodically via CCC5).

Attachment:
Default Web Apps Tia.jpg

Shows the 52esr, but doesn't stick when I select it. Appears as selected for a split second, but immediately reverts to the 58. If I choose Safari or Chrome, either will stick, but never the esr, only the 58.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 12:13 pm 

CFBundleName is what I changed to get the application to show a different name in the menubar.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:46 pm 

Limnos wrote:
CFBundleName is what I changed to get the application to show a different name in the menubar.

Kind of confused. Both the esr and the 58 show "Firefox" in the menubar. Not sure why you mention how they appear in the menubar.

Also concerned about unintended consequences of making any changes here, e.g., version updating getting screwed up if I change the version number.

This is what I find for "CFBundleName" in the 58 package. What would you change here for this issue?

</array>
<string>firefox</string>
<string>Firefox 58.0</string>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>Firefox</string>
<string>APPL</string>
<string>58.0</string>
<string>MOZB</string>
<array>

And the one for the 52esr:

<string>firefox</string>
<string>Firefox 52.6.0</string>
<string>6.0</string>
<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>Firefox</string>
<string>APPL</string>
<string>52.6.0</string>
<string>MOZB</string>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 10:51 am 

After the CFBundleName there is the string. In your case both have "Firefox". If you change one to FirefoxESR your Firefox will appear as FirefoxESR for that version of the application in the menubar. For example I am run Waterfox and that lines appears as

<key>CFBundleName</key>
<string>Waterfox</string>

which means that is what I see in the menubar at the top left (just to the right of the apple) when I have Waterfox active.

In my other case I made a copy of a music editor application. The problem was when I had them both going I didn't know which one I was in so I edited the CFBundleName so the second copy had a different name. Now it is clear when I am using one which one it is.

I use Pref Setter 2.0 to do this kind of editing (cleaner presentation).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:55 am 

Thanks, but unless I'm misunderstanding, don't think we're talking about the same thing. I have no problem knowing which version I'm using, even though both the esr and the 58 show "Firefox" in the menubar. The issue for me is that when I inadvertently open a link from an email, among several scenarios which can cause this, since the default browser is unavoidably set to the 58, with no way to change that, if the esr version happens to be selected in the profile manager--most likely the case, since that's the version I'm mostly using still--that link will try to open the 58 with the 52esr profile, try to "update" that profile, and completely wreck it.

I am tempted to edit that info.plist wherever the version number, in several places, shows as 58 to something earlier than the 52esr--perhaps make it "Firefox 46" (e.g., <string>Firefox 46.0</string>)--in order to convince whatever is setting the default browser to the 58 to use the esr instead, since the higher number seems to be preferred. However, seems like that might confuse the updater, among I don't know what else would get confused and balk. So I'm proceeding with extreme caution--meaning that until I know better, I will just try to live with this and remember not to open links from mail directly, or whatever else causes this to happen. Copy the link first and use it in whichever browser is currently open.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2018 7:45 am 

Success! Finally decided to make those info.plist edits. With a backup copy of the info.plist + a recent clone for insurance, decided it wasn't all that risky. Replaced the "58" with "46" in 3 places, rebuilt the Launch Services database (that was key, didn't work until I did that.) Now Sys Prefs is showing the 52.6esr as the default. And the good news is that "About Firefox" in the 58 is still showing 58 as the version + says it's up to date. Was a bit worried it could be showing "46" and try to update.

Supposing this will have to be redone at the next update.