XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:41 am 

Adobe strikes again. I'd canceled by Creative Cloud subscription several weeks ago and everything was fine. I was back to running a Creative Suite application (Audition CS6), which required no subscription. That is, until Adobe Application Manager began updating itself, encountered an error and closed. Now, I can no longer run Audition CS6. When I try to, Application Manager tells me that my Creative Cloud subscription has expired. Gee, really?

So, if I were to attempt a Time Machine restore from earlier this morning, will it replace only those files which have changed since that backup, or will it overwrite EVERYTHING on the drive?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:28 pm 

If you were to do a time machine restore from the recovery partition, yes, it would restore the entire drive.

If you knew specifically which files and folders to recover from time machine you could selectively restore them from within the booted OS X by browsing to the folder that contained them, use the "enter time machine" option from the time machine icon in the menu bar, then go back in time until the files you're after are in the state you want them in, select them, and then hit restore. It'll overwrite the newer files with the older files from the backup. However since Adobe specifically doesn't document which folders they keep their licensing information in, you're probably going to need to do a whole disk restore.

You could use the creative cloud cleaner tool to remove any and all traces of CC and CS6 from your system, then reinstall the CS6 apps. Before running the cleaner tool Adobe recommends running the uninstall app for each CC app you have installed to remove it. Hopefully you didn't install all of CC, because that... is very tedious. The uninstall app is typically found in the app's folder itself as well as Adobe Installers folder under Utilities. The uninstallers remove all the stuff from the nooks and crannies of OS X, not just the stuff in /Applications.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 7:52 pm 

Thanks MB. Thankfully, I can save your great info for the future because I managed to solve this mess.

I had successfully and without issue uninstalled my only two Creative Cloud apps – Audition and Photoshop – a couple of weeks ago. So today, I ran the uninstaller for Audition CS6, which also uninstalled Application Manager, as it apparently should have. But, for some reason, while the Audition uninstaller removed all associated files & folders, it left the Audition app alone. Of course, the uninstaller also uninstalled itself.

So, when I managed to find another copy of the Audition CS6 uninstaller and ran it, it wouldn't run because it required Application Manager. I eventually found an installer for Application Manager and installed it, but the Audition CS6 uninstaller still wouldn't work. (Can you believe all this?)

Having been driven crazy by this time, I used App Zapper to delete the Audition CS6 app. I then installed Audition CS6 again, but it wasn't happy... I guess because Application Manager was already there and may not have been the correct version (or whatever). So, launching the Audition CS6 uninstaller again, it got rid of Application Manager and Audition CS6 successfully this time. I restarted the computer, used Onyx to repair disk permissions (I figured, "Why not?") and then restarted and did another fresh install of Audition CS6.

Finally, everything is happy. I've purchased another DAW application and will begin to familiarize myself with it, knowing that one day, an OS upgrade will render Adobe Audition CS6 incompatible... and that will be perfectly fine with me.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:24 pm 

The cleaner tool will remove parts of CS6 apps too, since they're considered part of Creative Cloud (you buy CC you get a license for everything from CS6 to current).

At least you got the broken bits out. I have had various people "help" me by installing CC on their own and have made a god-awful mess that the uninstallers, cleaner tool, and everything else can't sort out. Apparently if I let Adobe remote into the system they'll pick the deepest darkest parts of OS X and remove the bits that are broken, and it'll only take another 2 hours on the phone for someone to get freed up who can do it. Its faster to back up their data, wipe the OS, reinstall, and restore their data.

I hate Adobe.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 5:05 am 

I forgot to mention that I *did* also use the CC Cleaner Tool at some point, but it was before everything was finally straightened out. As for Adobe burying files in the deep recesses, the support person who helped me through this did become concerned when I said I finally had to use App Zapper to remove the Audition CS6 app. He asked whether I had used App Zapper to remove other Adobe apps. I had not, specifically because I knew it would probably never find all Adobe's buried files, thereby creating more problems.

And I told him, between all of the issues, the time lost in dealing with them, and the outrageous CC subscription fees, that I would NEVER buy another Adobe product again.

Speaking of which: do many websites still use Adobe Flash, creating a need for the Flash browser plugin? If not, I'll yank those suckers out of here, too, leaving only Adobe Reader.

Thanks, MB.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 8:59 am 

Sorry to stick my nose in here but I thought I'd just point you to the topic I just posted relating to one of the best TimeMachine resources (pondini.org) in case you need it in the future.
Here is my topic on this site

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:37 pm 

Almost nobody uses Flash anymore.

However there are some sites that use it so I typically disable it in the browser itself, which stops it from running, so I can then enable it if I want to go to one of those websites. Most of the time its legacy sites like homestarrunner.com that would take more effort to convert them to HTML5 than they're worth.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2018 1:47 pm 

db: I just posted a link to your thread. Check it out. And thanks!

And thank to you, too, MB. I think I'll handle Flash the way you do, at least for now.