XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 1:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:06 pm 

Thanks MB and WZZZ. I'll do the DL now.

FYI - it asked for our apple password right at the start - before the download would begin. then asked for the PW for iCloud, iMessage, Facetime ...

Looks like it'll take 1 hour and 40+ minutes to download.

I'm hoping I can let this run while we go to bed - or maybe best to stop it part way and finish it tomorrow - it will do a partial download and let me finish later I hope...

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 8:15 pm 

Just on when will Sierra be unavailable, based on past history the replacement times were:
10.9 Mavericks (21 October 2013)
10.10 Yosemite (16 Oct 2014)
10.11 El Capitan (30 Sept 2015)
10.12 Sierra (25 Oct 2016)

which suggests Sept Oct., so you can rest easy for a few weeks more. Getting the last download by early next month would still be comfortable.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 10:45 pm 

I want to state that I have zero insight on when 10.13 will be released.

My thought on downloading 10.12 now is based on the idea that the installer would normally only be updated when a new point release comes out. Since 10.12.6 just came out a couple weeks ago, this means 10.12.7 would have to be released before 10.13 comes out to get a changed installer. Since it's available now, why not grab it now, since 10.12.7 is unlikely to come out in a week, and we know 10.12.6 is available now.

I'm not a really big fan of holding off on free stuff like this. I don't believe in installing a .0 release (if I can help it) but I've downloaded them.

Of course I'm also not a big fan of "free" software that includes malware payloads, but that's a substantially different issue... Apple is a trustworthy source, random internet sites are not.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:21 am 

update: I did the download with not issues. Took about 1hour 30 minutes and finished before we went to bed.

Now I just have to remember how to get the icon off the Dock of Mavs and into that folder I created "OSs not installed" in my Applications folder.

I was surprised that in Mavs there was no download arrow in the toolbar that I could find, but I was able to see the progress bar at the app store page.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 5:36 pm 

Yes, apps downloaded from the app store don't have a progress bar in the same places as files downloaded from Safari or another browser.

I have occasionally seen a progress bar on the app being downloaded in /Applications itself, but I think that started in 10.12 or a version of 10.10. I don't normally use the MAS so its hard to say when it started.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 5:16 am 

This thread caused me to check my App Store purchases. I was surprised to discover Sierra was not there even though I actually have downloaded and installed it. I don't use it as often as El Capitan but I'm booted to Sierra right now! In fact I'm downloading it again right now for the sole purpose of having it as a 'purchase' in the App Store. There must be some kind of glitch someplace. What I do see in the App Store purchase tab is evey other OS since Mountain Lion. I expected to see those...but no Sierra.

I'm so excited about High Sierra I can hardly contain myself :( I suppose it's possible that my hackintosh (masquerading as a 2010 Mac Pro 5,1) will be rendered unsupported.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:01 am 

I don't know if this answers the "where is my Sierra download" because I haven't tried to what they suggest here to find it:
How to reinstall apps purchased from the Mac App Store
https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT202161

"macOS Sierra doesn't appear in the Purchased tab. Use the Search field to find it again, then download it from the product page."

May explain why we don't see Sierra in the purchase list, but where exactly is it?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 9:55 am 

db5:

Looks like things may be changing for Purchased beginning with 10.12, after 8/1. See MB's post https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12 ... =0#p106236 and the following several. I downloaded the 10.12.6 maybe four times, and I could never see it in Purchased. To be safe, I made a bootable installer on a flash drive.

http://danfrakes.com/2016/07/21/how-to- ... ler-drive/

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:11 am 

WZZZ wrote:
... See MB's post https://x704.net/bbs/viewtopic.php?f=12 ... =0#p106236 and the following several. I downloaded the 10.12.6 maybe four times, and I could never see it in Purchased. To be safe, I made a bootable installer on a flash drive.

http://danfrakes.com/2016/07/21/how-to- ... ler-drive/

WZZZ:
Sorry I cited the same link that MB already found.
I was just trying to sort it out myself - my bad for not being more careful.

Anyway, what about having copies of the installer on several HD backups of several macs? Is that protection enough?

I have no plans to install Sierra, but do you know if it is one of those installers that disappears after using it and I ought to be sure to have a copy somewhere else before using?

I want to get the installer off the Dock and into my folder for installers to be saved for later use (or never).
I just can't remember how I moved the installer last time I did this for El Cap.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:27 pm 

The Sierra installer should reside in /Applications. That's the Applications folder inside the main hard drive folder (called the root folder)--NOT the local Applications folder in your home folder. If it's in the Dock, just quit it.

Attachment:
Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 5.18.54 PM.png
Screen Shot 2017-08-10 at 5.18.54 PM.png [ 46.46 KiB | Viewed 93 times ]

You don't need a bootable installer on a flash drive. I'm only recommending that because like that you can attach the flash drive to any machine and install from there. With the flash drive attached, you restart and then at the chime hold down Option until you see the installer and then select it. Of course, if you have lots of drive space and you aren't concerned with it taking up 5GB, then you can just leave it wherever it is.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:37 pm 

Thanks WZZZ for the directions!

Yes, I will keep the installer in the /Applications folder, but I keep a copy of the installers in another folder distant from the Applications folder so as to have another copy (just in case it self-destructs on install - I remember some of the installers doing that)

Thanks for the help in how to get it off the Dock. Sometimes I just can't remember what I did in the past and can't find an easy link to tell me what to do - but of course what you say should have been obvious to me.

Did you ever solve the problem of finding Sierra under purchases? It certainly sounds like it's not going to be there.

Thanks again,

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:10 pm 

BTW, if you make USB installation media using Apple's approved method, you can then use Disk Utility to create a compressed .dmg image of that installation media which can then be easily restored onto any bootable partition (with the caveat that it erases whatever's on the partition).

I tend to do this for others at work so they can just restore the .dmg onto a flash drive rather than go into Terminal to create the media. And the the .dmg can be copied off and kept on any media anywhere since it's just a single stream of compressed data, rather than a bunch of intricately linked files like an .app. I've seen others manage to mangle the app from time to time, but they haven't yet done that with a dmg.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:11 am 

I was curious and checked purchases.
This is odd - it shows all of the OSs I downloaded, but shows some as installed - not so!
Attachment:
purchased.jpg [57.91 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

And, of course, as we all now know, Sierra doesn't show up in the list.

I am still running Mavs on the computer from which I did the download of Yosemite. I downloaded El Cap as well onto this, but store thinks "Installed"?

Is this a concern???

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:52 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmmm, About this Mac doesn't say it's Installed?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 11:39 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Hmmmm, About this Mac doesn't say it's Installed?

I'm running a HD backup now so can't check for sure - but when I saw that I looked at About this Mac and saw what I knew it should be - version 10.9.5.

I know I didn't install either of those - and even if it were done automatically why would about this mac show otherwise.

All I can guess is "purchases" has some other meaning for installed?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:09 pm 

For those that show Installed, try temporarily moving any of those installers, no matter where they are--including any in open, connected clones or volumes, to the Trash. Or just quit those backups. Maybe even throw in a restart. Then sign out of the MAS, sign back in and see if they still show Installed. Thinking they might then change to Download. But how it shows up in Purchased won't make a bit of difference to your local copy of the Installer.

This is interesting: System Report>Installations shows the Sierra 10.12.6. I suppose all this means is that Installations doesn't always know the difference between an installed and a non-installed Installer.

Note: To anyone viewing this page, just started using postimage.org, because with TinyPic keep getting "Image moved" or Upload failed." When you view this page, let me know if you see a cookie from s24.postimage.org. Shows up as a potential tracker in Privacy Badger, but not in Ghostery. Blocked by Privacy Badger. Anyway, probably won't show up if you don't allow third party cookies.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:47 pm 

For this board these days I use the uploader contained in the Post a reply.

I like the listing of Installations you showed. Didn't know it existed. You are ever informative WZZZ.

Attachments:
uploadatt.png
uploadatt.png [ 27.53 KiB | Viewed 52 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:44 pm 

roam wrote:
For this board these days I use the uploader contained in the Post a reply.

I like the listing of Installations you showed. Didn't know it existed. You are ever informative WZZZ.

Yeah, know about the image attachment procedure, and use it occasionally, but often prefer to have the image right there--no need to click to get it.

Not sure I'm always so informative--once in a while maybe.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:21 pm 

If the image is under a certain size I don't think you have to click to view it. You also have to click the inline attachment button thingie to insert the attached image into your post though. I think the inline attachment button tells you if its too big, and what the maximum size is.

Most of the images I post are too big so I find them doing an image search, but try to choose a big domain like imgur, pinterest, etc. so they won't get ticked off at the bandwidth. I've had, um, images from smaller hosts go "bad" before (if I'm lucky its image not found, otherwise the image becomes animal genitalia, etc.).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:13 pm 
Master

One of these days maybe someone around here will check that the version of imagemagick installed on the server is up to date and not subject to remote "take over your server" vulnerabilities so that direct inline image uploading can be re-enabled. I wonder who should do that????

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 4:29 pm 

Ohhhhh was it disabled? Sorry, I'm a dirty bad wicked evil naughty hotlinker. Which is another way of saying that I didn't notice.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:22 pm 
Master

What you can do is upload an attachment to the board, then link to it directly. Unless my failing memory doesn't serve me, the "automatically upload and link at the same time" feature relies on ImagMagick and is disabled, but someone might have re-enabled it without running ImageMagick.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2017 3:50 pm 

Attachment:
good-news-everyone.jpg
good-news-everyone.jpg [ 48.4 KiB | Viewed 5 times ]

Guess I've always attached images this way.