XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 8:58 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 12:58 pm 

I just learned that when the PRAM battery in a 6500 goes dead, not only will the clock and other settings go screwy, but you won't be able to maintain an Ethernet connection.

For quite a while, I'd been wanting to copy the contents of two volumes in my Power Mac 6500 (an OS 9.1 boot and an OS 8.6 boot) to other media. And while the Power Mac 6500 started right up, it first took an unbelievable amount of time to get it to talk to my G4, but then the connection kept dropping. It was only because back in 2003 I bought an extra replacement PRAM battery (not to mention the additional luck in actually finding it) that I was able to get things going today. Of course, it was just a guess that the battery was the culprit, but I got lucky when, after installing the new one, things finally started to happen.

The only drawback is the dreadfully slow speed at which the data is transferring. It took what easily seemed like a half hour for the "Preparing to Copy" to finish before the actual copying began, and now - with the progress bar about a quarter of the way - the G4 tells me there's at least another 4 hours to go. And there is more to copy when this round is finally finished. (I'm using the G4 as the pipeline between the 6500 and the destination Firewire drive.)

So, the life of a PRAM battery may affect more than we might think. Live and learn.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 1:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great tip Mike, thanks! :)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:42 pm 
Master

On older machines, a dead PRAM battery will mess up all kinds of things. Many won't even boot with a dead battery. I wouldn't have occurred to me immediately that it would significantly affect Ethernet, but it's also not too surprising.

Anyway, good to hear it's working!

Also, if you have trouble with the copy, you might try copying smaller chunks at a time. That way, if the copy fails you won't have to start over completely. And yes, 10Mb Ethernet is _s_l_o_w_! :snail:

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:34 pm 

UPDATE: I stopped the copy process, thinking there has to be a faster way. And there was.

I connected the 6500 directly to the MacBook (bypassing the router), and then went to the Firewire drive. At least twice as fast.

My original thought was to clear everything off the 6500 so that I could entertain the idea of getting rid of it. But now that there's a brand new (well, almost) PRAM battery in it, it's gonna be a tough decision. (BTW I'm using the classic Mac 13-inch monitor with the 6500!)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:33 am 
Master

The original Apple 13" RGB monitor, aside from only supporting 640x480 resolution, was a spectacular monitor. I loved those things. The degauss button was cool too.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sat Jul 23, 2011 11:11 am 

Anonymous wrote:
The original Apple 13" RGB monitor, aside from only supporting 640x480 resolution, was a spectacular monitor. I loved those things. The degauss button was cool too.

- Anonymous

The 13" was great. The 15" was crap. The 1710 was...well, it was the Atari E.T. cartridge of the monitor world.

I owned a 15". Getting a real Sony was the best thing I ever did back then.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 1:56 pm 
Master

The Apple 15" Multiscan monitor was cheaply designed and cheaply constructed. It had several design flaws, but wasn't on the whole as bad as the 14" Performa Plus display that was every bit as bad as the cheapest monitor bundled with any fly-by-night PC clone vendor. On the up side, I made a reasonable bit of cash fixing broken solder joints in the 15" and replacing soldered-down fuses in the 14".

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:15 pm 

The 15" was horrifically bad. We're talking in the area of 60% failure rate bad (measured over the time it was under warranty per user). The only monitor to beat that ungodly bad failure rate number was the 1710AV. That one had an amazing 75% mortality rate prior to warranty period expiring. It was a beautiful monitor until it went south on you, and then you had to ship it back to Apple at your own expense to get it fixed (this was before the apple stores were around).

The sad part was that up until those two monitors, the vast majority of Apple branded monitors were realy Trinitron or Diamondtron (Sony/Mitsubishi respectively) designs and were very respectable monitors. Those two monitors effectively ruined Apple's image regarding their displays for a long time. It wasn't until Apple ditched the ADC connector that they finally saw people really singing praises about their monitors again.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 12:13 am 
Master

To be fair, you could also have the 1710s repaired at a local Apple Authorized Service Provider. We loved these things because warranty repairs were reimbursed at the very highest rate, since it was considered such a time consuming repair. I could replace a 1710/1710AV analog board (the underdesigned module) faster than anyone else in the shop. When they worked, they were absolutely stunning monitors. When they worked. I knew some people who went through four of them before the warranty was out. They had wonderful Trinitron tubes, and electronics so bad they'd make your teeth numb from vertigo.

The 15" Multiscan had nothing going for it, aside from the fact that it was multiscan...which wasn't so much good for it as it was just not something else you could hate about it. The picture tube was not great, but not as bad as the 14" Performa "you could see the .39 dot pitch from orbit" display. You'd just never find one more than two years old that hadn't lost at least part of one of its colors. But on the up side, Apple cheaped out and didn't try to put in any fancy electronics (as it had in the 1710), so there wasn't as much to break as there might otherwise have been.

Also deserving an honorary mention is the stupid 14" AudioVision Display, the spirit of which was channeled by the equally stupid ADC monitors. It had a ****ing bizarre, expensive, completely proprietary, and almost completely ignored, 45-pin connector that carried ADB, audio, and video,the practical upshot of which was that 85% of folks who got stuck with such a display needed a $50 adapter built like a stubbier version of a Burmese Python to plug it in to their non-AV equipped computer. Sometimes I doubt that markets, in the sense of the theory of economics, are rational...but based on the manner in which the market embraced this abomination -- that is, adopted it with all the passion that you might adopt a drowned rat from your toilet -- my faith in the markets was haltingly renewed.

And as you point out, these crap displays represented the start of a long line of (at best) mediocre Apple monitors that didn't relent until the reassuringly inevitable demise of ADC.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:46 pm 

(carefully pushes ADC 17" Studio Display out of view)