XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Oct 24, 2017 3:06 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:03 am 

I have an old PM 7300/180 that I use for printing pre-existing print files that I created some years back. When I want to print these files, all I need to do was to pull them to the desktop printer and they print automatically.

Recently, I have had some difficulties with this machine that I now believe are due to a dead battery. Apparently many items reverted to their default settings (including printer port - I must change this to ethernet port every time I start up). But now, pulling the files to the desktop printer doesn't automatically work...until I print something else in the traditional manner (I discovered this quite by accident).

My question is this: what do you think I need to do to return to automatic printing when I place my print files in desktop printing? "Start Print Queue" is selected - when I press "Stop Print Queue" and then press "Start..." again, nothing happens. The files all show up in the desktop printer cue - they just don't print automatically anymore. Only printing something else in the traditional method triggers the files in the desktop printer.

It's been so long since I've had to delve into the guts of OS 9 that I've forgotten nearly everything. Thanks for any and all constructive input...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:10 am 

Have you tried rebuilding the Desktop?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:08 am 

Yeah if your network connection changed ports, that's a good sign that your battery is dead. I would start by yanking that, unplugging it, letting it sit for 5 minutes or so, then installing a fresh battery. When you startup next you'll have to change all your settings back but it'll stick and they'll be good (non-corrupt) values.

You may need to delete the print queues and recreate them to resolve your printing problem. That's all I can remember doing to resolve the problem you're having.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 3:14 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Welcome aboard Saxlix ! :)

I'm looking at the file you sent as we speak, looks an awful lot like a Postscript file with a few things missing like a header.