XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 4:06 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 5:24 am 

Actually, this is a question regarding running QuarkXpress 5 in Classic mode in OS X, but it probably could be a purely Classic question. I am using a machine running X.3.9 and Classic 9.2.2.

Urgh, due to its penurious nature, I'm orphaned using QuarkXpress 5 in Classic, while the rest of the Graphics Department has CS4 and QuarkXpress 7/8. Someday I'll be upgraded and then have to deal with the font headaches of more than 5,000 forms, but until that day comes I won't worry about it.

We've moved into a new building with new Cisco switches which are incompatible with AppleTalk (they interpret its "chatty" nature as repeated attacks and intermittently shut down). Mine is the only machine that still has AppleTalk turned on and so my ability to print is unpredictable. I can select a printer in the Chooser (remember that?), and then go to print and nothing happens, sometimes.

We solved this problem with one of the printers by setting up IP printing, but in doing so I now have to scroll through a very long list of every printer ever set up. Huh? Here's the deal, in QuarkXpress 5 when I go to print, the print menu comes up, then there is a "Printer..." button. Pressing that brings up another menu with a Printer drop down menu. I then have to use that drop down menu and scroll to the IP printer we set up, bypassing about two dozen other "printers." I have to do this EVERY TIME I print, and it is annoying.

I have tried searching for the "names" of some of the things in the list and come up with nothing. The production manager suspects that there may be some preference file associated with Desktop Printer that is retaining the no longer needed settings and I also think that maybe they could be stored in the QuarkXpress preferences file, although I admit the former is more likely. I would very much like them to go away!

Very soon he will decide to turn off AppleTalk on my machine and set up the remaining printers I need to actually print to as IP printers, and that would be an ideal time to trash the others, so that if we do something wrong, he only has to re-do the work for one of the printers (the one I use most often now).

Anyway, as I said, it feels like I'm going blind everytime I print (scrolling to find that one printer), and it would be worse when we add a few more IP printers to the list. I want the list to just be the printers I use. Anyone familiar with QuarkXpress 5 and/or Classic know where I might find the silly file that remembers more than I want? Bob Montgomery?

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 7:25 am 

Ah, the long list also shows up in the printer drop down menu in Illustrator 9 - hm, beginning to look like the Production Manager is on the right track... something in the System Folder?