XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Fri Dec 14, 2018 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 4:23 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I'm behooved...
Quote:
For several years I have updated my server on OS 9.2.2 using file sharing from OSX 10.5.8. Today I tried to update a file from another Mac with OSX 10.6.8. It mounts the OS 9 volume as usual and I can copy files from it but all files and folders appear to be read only and hence I cannot write to it.

What are my options for writing to OS 9.2.2 from OSX 10.6.8?

Quote:
Today I have been trying to discover if resource forks could be the cause of my difficulties.

At first this line of investigation looked promising but I later discovered that this was only because a resource fork increases the file size.

It appears that I can only write files with a total size up to 5,006 bytes.

Does anybody have any thoughts about the likely cause of this?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8623366

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 6:51 am 

If they've become read only, it's because the drive is likely formatted HFS, not HFS+. OS X along the way (I believe right around the time of the Intel switchover, maybe shortly after) lost the ability to write to HFS Standard. For full interoperability, you'll need to back up the OS9 drive, format it to HFS+, then restore the drive (if possible - back then backup and restore required the same filesystem for each drive).

Anyone using OS 9 should have long ago upgraded to 9.2.2 and begun using HFS+ as their drive format. Especially so today now that 4k(512e) and 4kn drives are all that exist.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:26 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks ST... it is 9.2.2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2018 9:14 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Gets even stranger...
Quote:
I now have Leopard and various versions of Snow Leopard installed on my Mac Pro and I get the following results:

All versions can mount a remote OS 9 volume or folder. Leopard can write files to the mounted volume without any difficulty. Some versions of Snow Leopard can write some files at a first attempt but some of these appear empty or corrupted.

I eventually found I could get consistent satisfactory results by using a bash script to write about 40kB to a dummy file twice. After this further files can be written without any difficulty until the connection is terminated. Whist this is slightly tedious I can live it.

Further insights or fixes would be of interest to me.

Here is my bash script:

open 'afp://user-name:password@###.###.###.###/volume/web-pages'; sleep 1; f(){ echo {a..z}{A..Z}{z..n} > /Volumes/volume/web-pages/dummy-file; }; f; f

You are welcome put this on your other site.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:18 pm 

If I remember correctly, and I could be wrong, Leopard removed the ability to fully participate in AppleTalk networks. It can talk to AFP servers over IP but it has connection issues over Appletalk. It can show up on AT and respond to some network tasks but actual connections are always made over IP. I wonder if he tried to disable AppleTalk on his MacOS 9 server and left AppleShareIP still enabled if it would be any more reliable? To be honest this is kind of a grey area for me because by the time Leopard came around I had started turning off AFP in favor of SMB/CIFS and never connected to an OS 9 file server. I connected from OS 9, never connected to OS 9. OS 9 needed third party software to talk to SMB/CIFS which is why this all got wedged into my head. I forget what SMB solution I ended up with...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:00 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Thanks MB.