XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2015 12:08 pm 

I imagine that the hard drive has to be severely fragmented at this point with all the shuffling of data around from the encrypted partition to unencrypted space. Time Machine isn't an image backup so when it restores the files it should copy them to new, theoretically contiguous spots on the HD. Just be sure your TM volume is fully functional before erasing your internal and starting the restore! For safety's sake I would erase the TM volume completely and perform a new first-time backup, that way you know there's no lingering file/folder corruption (or, alternately, perform a new back up to a new freshly-formatted TM volume, leaving the old one intact).

It's also worth mentioning that HDs get slower the more filled they are, and the slower the drive the more I notice the speed drop-off.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:17 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I imagine that the hard drive has to be severely fragmented at this point with all the shuffling of data around from the encrypted partition to unencrypted space. Time Machine isn't an image backup so when it restores the files it should copy them to new, theoretically contiguous spots on the HD. Just be sure your TM volume is fully functional before erasing your internal and starting the restore! For safety's sake I would erase the TM volume completely and perform a new first-time backup, that way you know there's no lingering file/folder corruption (or, alternately, perform a new back up to a new freshly-formatted TM volume, leaving the old one intact).

It's also worth mentioning that HDs get slower the more filled they are, and the slower the drive the more I notice the speed drop-off.

I hope he realised you meant doing that AFTER the restore! (Sometimes "stating the bleedin' obvious" doesn't hurt...)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:52 pm 

No, I meant before the backup. Your Time Machine volume could have corruption, at which point you'll go to use it and be screwed, typically mid-restore.

Only by wiping it out and performing a fresh backup will you have any degree of certainty of it being a stable source for a wipe-and-restore.