XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 12:13 pm 

I'm beginning to regret having updated to IOS 8 for this one, very annoying reason: being asked every single time I reconnect my iPad to the Mac mini, "Trust this computer?"

I would've thought answering YES once would've taken care of things. But I was wrong, apparently. Now, it's like having a nagging child.

Can anyone please tell me how to disable this?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 1:18 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

No experience but might try this then re-trust it next time...
Quote:
If you're using iOS 8 or later: To untrust all computers, tap Settings > General > Reset > Reset Location & Privacy. This will also reset your location and privacy settings. You can also untrust all computers by tapping Settings > General > Reset > Reset Network Settings. This will also reset your network settings.

Other possibilities...

http://www.igeeksblog.com/how-to-stop-t ... hone-ipad/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 3:38 pm 

Thanks, BD.

I learned from reading some similar posts on the Apple forums that this issue may be related to the fact my iTunes version is not current. And it won't be. I won't bore you with why I decided against doing that, so I'll just have to live with the additional ridiculous step whenever I reconnect my iPad.

Thank you, Apple, for nothing.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2015 4:00 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I quite understand, every new incarnation of iTunes is worse than the previous one. :(

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:23 am 

MikeHarrison wrote:
I'm beginning to regret having updated to IOS 8 for this one, very annoying reason: being asked every single time I reconnect my iPad to the Mac mini, "Trust this computer?"

I would've thought answering YES once would've taken care of things. But I was wrong, apparently. Now, it's like having a nagging child.

I feel your pain. I have iTunes as an permanent allowed app in Firewall settings, but that doesn't stop the Allow iTunes to connect to the network? every bl00dy time I launch it. :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:25 am 

BDAqua wrote:
I quite understand, every new incarnation of iTunes is worse than the previous one. :(

Too right. I stuck with iTunes 9 for years but finally reluctantly I upgraded to iTunes 10 a while back. And having seen iTunes 12 (and by deduction, iTunes 11) that's where I'm staying...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:53 am 

^ stay on 10 as long as you can!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:12 pm 

I actually mucked with iTunes 12 once to make it look like older iTunes, with the media browser on the left, albums at the top, songs on the bottom. I only did it once and have completely forgotten all the various things I had to flip on to make it not hide everything on me.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:32 am 

mc68k wrote:
^ stay on 10 as long as you can!

Yes, I have taken measures against the dread day when I HAVE to upgrade to Yosemite...

I have Parallels and SL Server, plus I've already established that OS X allows a folder in Applications called iTunes 10, as well as the regular iTunes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:37 pm 

I've been using iTunes 11 without trouble. But this – in addition to avoiding bugs not yet worked out – is why I always stay behind. It's not just Apple; it seems nobody can leave well enough alone without tinkering with things and pissing off users. One example was General Motors and what WAS their Saturn brand. I've been driving Saturns since 1994. Love them. Very ingenious thinking went into many of the designs (engine, interior, etc.) They had a website where Saturn owners could keep track of the service needs for their cars, by VIN and mileage. And it, too, was excellent... until one day when they broke it. They've done much worse since, of course. But I gave them the analogy: you took a perfectly good, working light bulb and smashed it. Way to retain the trust of your customers. Following the two recent recalls for my 2007 Ion (the ignition switch debacle [which killed some 40 people] and power steering motor), I made a point of telling the sales manager at the dealership who did the recall repairs – when they made the very bad mistake of attempting to up-sell me – that I would NEVER, EVER buy another GM vehicle again.

And, as long as I'm on my soapbox, those customer satisfaction surveys that everyone sends out these days? No. Uh-uh. Companies will absolutely hear from me if something's wrong but, in the meantime, I do not give kudos for merchants properly doing what I'm paying them to properly do. If I return to a merchant to do business again, that's all the customer satisfaction they're going to get from me.

;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:35 am 

Each time I see this topic I can't help but finish the beginning of the sentence "Please help me stop...." with "before I (floss, blow my nose, scratch my buttocks, eat another Mars Bar, kill again"). Take your pick. :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:59 am 

When I see this title 'Trust this computer?', I think, that's easy. Click No.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 9:55 am