XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 6:33 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 2:34 pm 

As Christmas nears I'm thinking about something for the wife. I never got round to finishing my plan to put an SSD into and external case for her Air (lack of cash for high SSD prices at the time) but the industry now has plenty of prepackaged options and I'm looking at this one. Small, light and probably fast enough for her to use it on her Air (128GB) and give it some breathing space.

USAP support from Mountain Lion on looks good but also depends on the particular mac hardware according to this page.

What do you think? Any reason not to get one? I've seen it for 139 euros which seems ok.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:44 pm 

You might want to check out this Corsair CMFVYGTX3-128GB Flash Voyager GTX USB 3.0 128GB Drive:
http://www.ramexperts.com/corsair-cmfvygtx3-128gb-flash-voyager-gtx-usb-3-0-128gb-drive-uses-ssd-controller.html
Flash Voyager® USB 3.0 USB flash drive products have a 5 year warranty

ProVantage has the corsair GTX for $94.43 US dollars.
http://www.provantage.com/corsair-cmfvygtx3-128gb~7CSMC0R1.htm

I seen that Transend drive on Amazon for around $85 US dollars.
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-128GB-External-Solid-TS128GESD400K/dp/B00K75U6G6

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 5:23 am 

Thanks. I can pick up the 256GB Transcend for 139 Euros on Amazon Spain. I'll see if I can locate the drives you mention locally.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 03, 2014 4:09 pm 

This looks like it could come in handy down the line. Optimised for SSD with UASP supported in the chipset.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:14 am 

I ordered the Transcend in the end. It arrived at my mother-in-law's last night and by horrible chance my wife was there and opened it :o . I'll have to think of something else for Christmas now :( .

Anyway, she's decided to leave it with FAT32 to allow her to plug it in wherever she wants. UASP is supported on her Air (10.8.5) which is nice.

Small, feather light and working without issue. The only complaint has been on the short cable which for her is too long. Any idea where I could get one that's 10cm long. The shortest I've seen online is 20cm.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 2:57 am 

You could always tape it to the edge of the case and basically wrap it around until it's short enough. Nothing says high technology like duct tape.

What kind of connector does it use? That awful 3.0 micro-b connector? The only place I found a cable like that last time I was looking for one was on Amazon. Of course in my case I needed a 6 foot cable, not the little 3 footer the drives shipped with.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2014 7:32 am 

Yes. it's a micro b connector. Good idea about the duct tape but the drive comes with a little black protective transportation sleeve (like imitation suede) and she's using that at the moment to stop the thing sliding around. The cable probably weighs more than the drive itself and the bends in the cable can move it. It doesn't get warm even with the sleeve on. At the moment she's using the cable tie it came with to fold the cable. At least it's tidier that way.