XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Mon Mar 30, 2020 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: THIS is weird. . .
PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:27 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
A USB keyboard should work for a PRAM reset, I've done it myself, though not with that particular keyboard but "I've used both Apple & generic PC keyboards before. Shut down the system, then power it on and immediately hold down option on the external keyboard and see what shows up. It should launch... oh hell I can't remember what Apple calls it but I call it system picker, where you can choose a boot device. If it shows a padlock and a password field, then you have a firmware password set, which among other things disables most startup combinations like PRAM reset & target disk mode."

I am not sure I understand some of your post, last part maybe over my head, but I get this:

Please address these 3 things. . .
-- you are NOT convinced my apple ext. keyboard will not work, I should keep trying on it. . .
-- you suggest ONLY holding down the external board's OPTION key, nothing else on startup? or all FOUR?
-- stmt. about system picker etc. WAY over my head or not distinct enough for me to "get"

thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:25 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Holding just alt or Option key on external should show Boot choices, (Boot Picker I think it's called), that will tell us if the external USB KB is seen early enough in the Boot process to have the 4 key PRAM Reset work or not.

Oh, Apple calls it Startup Manager...

https://support.apple.com/HT202796

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:13 pm 

If it helps, opening up the system and disconnecting the battery for ~5-10 seconds is equivalent to an SMC reset. Kind of a super-SMC reset, really, it can bring otherwise dead USB ports back to life.

Without a working motherboard option key there's no way to do an SMC reset.

This isn't for the faint of heart, but a replacement keyboard normally means replacing the entire top plate (it's possible to detach the keyboard from the aluminum case but they're glued together which makes the work extra fun), and on a Mac everything is attached to the top plate. Motherboard, drives, screen, LEDs... everything. I've done it a lot of times on a lot of different models but obviously YMMV for how much pain you're willing to tolerate and how much patience you have to do the job right because once you yank a cable the wrong way it's normally new motherboard time.

Stupid question here but my MacBook Pro has two option keys, one on the left, the other on the right. Did Apple omit the right one from your model?

I've never used your particular keyboard so I have no direct experience whether it works or not, however I have used enough keyboards to believe it should work fine, leading me to suspect something odd is happening. command-option-p-r is one of the startup keys that a firmware password will lock out and (silently) prevent from working. Just holding down option is allowed but prompts for a password, if a firmware password is set. If one isn't set then it'll show you a list of bootable drives attached to your system. Select your boot drive and hit enter and voila no harm done.