XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Wed Jun 20, 2018 3:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:06 am 

This: http://www.pc-adapter.net/product/863.html
Plus: https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-s ... DS512G1X0C
And: macOS High Sierra 10.13.4
In This: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp691?locale=en_US (MBP111.0146.B00)

... works absolutely perfectly.

I read a lot on Mac Rumors about the pitfalls of installing NVMe modules in pre-2015 MacBooks and suggestions of applying various manual power management settings and firmware hacks but this appears to be booting, powering off and sleeping with the WD (SanDisk) module with macOS 10.13.4 exactly as I cloned it from my Mac mini.

The battery drained pretty severely when Spotlight was doing it's thing for the first time but otherwise i'm not noticing a huge difference battery or heat wise.

I knew the module in question was pretty pedestrian performance wise but I was drawn to it's autonomous power and thermal management.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:25 am 

I'll never understand Apple's Not Invented Here syndrome.

They're so busy stripping standardized connections and connectors from their systems that they never stop to ask why they're doing it.

I think the fear of being trapped on an elevator with Jobs trying to defend Mobile Me has extended far beyond his death.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:14 am 

I'm not sure there was any standard for mobile AHCI SSDs in 2013, all the units I had encountered up to that time were full-sized PCIe cards with Radeon sized heatsinks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:34 pm 

It was introduced in 2013. I've read that Apple was concerned about the size, but given that they're the same size (even smaller in the case of 2242) there's little stopping them from adopting it now.

I just don't see the point of premium priced disposable computers. If I can't upgrade a system's memory or storage after purchase, why would I purchase it?

Still, it's nifty that they're introducing adapters to overcome Apple. I worry that the thinner and thinner and thinner Apple makes their systems that interposers will eventually add too much thickness to fit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 am 

FWIW the reason it's working on a non-NVMe native machine is because 10.13 brought native NVMe support, meaning ALL NVMe drives work now. If I had the extra PCIe slots I'd get an NVMe drive too in that format. Sadly, Haswell hackintoshes have to deal with a shitty 16 PCIe lanes, all of which are taken up by the GPU.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:47 pm 

The cautions about power management still appear to apply to High Sierra, I think this SanDisk module just happens to be playing particularly nicely.