XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
Privacy Policy
It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 1:06 am 

This: http://www.pc-adapter.net/product/863.html
Plus: https://www.wdc.com/products/internal-s ... DS512G1X0C
And: macOS High Sierra 10.13.4
In This: https://support.apple.com/kb/sp691?locale=en_US (MBP111.0146.B00)

... works absolutely perfectly.

I read a lot on Mac Rumors about the pitfalls of installing NVMe modules in pre-2015 MacBooks and suggestions of applying various manual power management settings and firmware hacks but this appears to be booting, powering off and sleeping with the WD (SanDisk) module with macOS 10.13.4 exactly as I cloned it from my Mac mini.

The battery drained pretty severely when Spotlight was doing it's thing for the first time but otherwise i'm not noticing a huge difference battery or heat wise.

I knew the module in question was pretty pedestrian performance wise but I was drawn to it's autonomous power and thermal management.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:25 am 

I'll never understand Apple's Not Invented Here syndrome.

They're so busy stripping standardized connections and connectors from their systems that they never stop to ask why they're doing it.

I think the fear of being trapped on an elevator with Jobs trying to defend Mobile Me has extended far beyond his death.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:14 am 

I'm not sure there was any standard for mobile AHCI SSDs in 2013, all the units I had encountered up to that time were full-sized PCIe cards with Radeon sized heatsinks.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:34 pm 

It was introduced in 2013. I've read that Apple was concerned about the size, but given that they're the same size (even smaller in the case of 2242) there's little stopping them from adopting it now.

I just don't see the point of premium priced disposable computers. If I can't upgrade a system's memory or storage after purchase, why would I purchase it?

Still, it's nifty that they're introducing adapters to overcome Apple. I worry that the thinner and thinner and thinner Apple makes their systems that interposers will eventually add too much thickness to fit.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:15 am 

FWIW the reason it's working on a non-NVMe native machine is because 10.13 brought native NVMe support, meaning ALL NVMe drives work now. If I had the extra PCIe slots I'd get an NVMe drive too in that format. Sadly, Haswell hackintoshes have to deal with a shitty 16 PCIe lanes, all of which are taken up by the GPU.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2018 1:47 pm 

The cautions about power management still appear to apply to High Sierra, I think this SanDisk module just happens to be playing particularly nicely.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 11:39 pm 

So I tried this again with a cheap Adata XPG SX6000 NVMe and it was practically unusable and even after applying the suggested power management settings. Lots of kernel panics, impossibly slow boot and shutdown and the machine completely failed to sleep.

So there is definitely some magic pixie dust in the WD/SanDisk drive.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 12:04 pm 
Master

Wow, I had no idea this was a thing. Are you using 13" or 15" MPB? I'd have had my housemate buy a 2015" MBP instead of her 2017 model if I'd know it could be made reliable.

I've got a 2015 13" MBP and would love to know there's at least the possibility of a reasonable upgrade path.

How much do these adapters cost?

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:33 pm 

Based on the part number of ST-NGFF2013-C Google turned up this $18.99 listing:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01CWWAENG

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:36 pm 

Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013 which I stupidly purchased with only 4GB of memory thinking I would only use it for traveling.

I bought the adapter directly from China along with a PCI adapter so I could install the old SSD in my Mac Pro to make a Fusion Drive.

I had operated on the assumption I would be applying the manual terminal settings but I figured I could live with that, we have been enabling TRIM manually since 10.6.8 after-all.

I'm waiting till the new MacBook Air replacement comes out but if it doesn't work for me I am just going to get a 2015 13-inch with 16GB of RAM and stick one of these WD SanDisk drives in it. The only glitch I have had with this drive was a rough wake from sleep in which Firefox crashed.

In any event I am doing extensive renovations to my house this summer and this will probably become my primary computer at that point as my home office is going to be demolished to bare studs so I should have a pretty good idea just how stable this is.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:34 pm 
Master

Thanks again for the info.

I'm curious how a Samsung 970 Pro would work. I've been using Samsung SSDs at work for a while (850 and 860 Pros) and been impressed.

Would also love to see pictures of your remodel as it progresses. I've been thinking of tearing an entire floor of my place back to studs, but need to work up to it (how could they have possibly thought building it that way was a good idea!?). Anyway, I've done some of that kind of work, but not enough to know exactly what I'd be getting in to.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:08 pm 

Looks like they have an M.2 adapter to go the opposite way, Mac to M.2:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076P87ZYP/

Although they list some caveats.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:27 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Thanks again for the info.

I'm curious how a Samsung 970 Pro would work. I've been using Samsung SSDs at work for a while (850 and 860 Pros) and been impressed.

Would also love to see pictures of your remodel as it progresses. I've been thinking of tearing an entire floor of my place back to studs, but need to work up to it (how could they have possibly thought building it that way was a good idea!?). Anyway, I've done some of that kind of work, but not enough to know exactly what I'd be getting in to.

- Anonymous

I would be a bit cautious about high performance M.2 drives in any Mac laptop. They need some fairly substantial (for their size) cooling, and if you can't get a passive cooler mated to it inside the MBP, it'll throttle like there's no tomorrow. Without proper cooling, you'll cook it in very little time.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 12:48 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Looks like they have an M.2 adapter to go the opposite way, Mac to M.2:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B076P87ZYP/

Although they list some caveats.

I'm having a hard time coming up with a use case for this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 6:11 am 

Well, suppose you upgraded your Mac with a new card and wanted someplace to tuck the old proprietary card. I certainly hope nobody is going to run out and buy OWC SSDs and put them in M.2 slots.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:34 pm 
Master

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I certainly hope nobody is going to run out and buy OWC SSDs and put them in M.2 slots.

Someone might do it. I saw this documentary one time about a guy who needed to spend $30 million in 30 days. Maybe something like that?

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 8:02 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
MonkeyBoy wrote:
I certainly hope nobody is going to run out and buy OWC SSDs and put them in M.2 slots.

Someone might do it. I saw this documentary one time about a guy who needed to spend $30 million in 30 days. Maybe something like that?

- Anonymous

Shit, if I had to spend $30M in 30 days, I'd be hitting up every store in the bay area here and getting school supplies for kids (and probably game consoles for them since the supplies alone would never hit the goal in time).

I'd of course buy this house and get a new car and trike too. Because, shinies. :P

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2018 2:25 pm 
Master

Makes more sense than a few dozen OWC SSDs.

- Anonymous