XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Oct 23, 2017 3:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Ordered MacBook Pro 13"
PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:35 pm 
Master

I just ordered a refurbished 2015 retina MacBook Pro 13" 2.9 GHz i5 16/512. Apple dropped the price to from $1609 to $1529, at which point it seemed unlikely to fall much more and seemed a tolerably fair deal (the newer touch gimmick models with the same specs are down to $1780, which is still too expensive for those non-upgradable specs that will require $100 worth of USB cables and adapters -- and certainly way too rich for my blood).

It was time for a new computer. My 2010 MBP 15" is a bit sickly: it's got a bad Intel(!) integrated graphics chip, so it crashes within a couple minutes if I'm not forcing it to use the GeForce GT 330M. This behavior also makes it impossible to use with an external monitor: apparently it falls back to the Intel chip for one of the displays, then promptly falls over dead. I'm pretty sure it won't reliably run versions of OS X beyond 10.6.

Anyway, I'm auditing a math course at the local college this term since I've forgotten everything I even knew about math, and my final exam is on Monday evening. The new computer is scheduled to arrive Monday morning.
Must. Not. Open. Box... aargh! :upset:

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:00 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

One * (Math test) + one * (new Computer) = one OR zero. ;)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:27 pm 

I actually know of one 15" 2010 and two 17" 2011 MBPs that have died with chipset issues. Thankfully the 15 was covered under warranty but the latter two were in the hands of people who either procrastinated or didn't know WTF they were doing (take your pick) so the warranty extension expired by the time they got to my hands. I keep eyeballing 17" parts on eBay and wincing. One of them needs a new trackpad too, which is unfortunately glued to the top plate...

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:08 pm 
Master

I'm done with my final and working on the new machine. The SSD feels quicker than the SATA Mercury SSD in the 2010 MBP, the screen is very nice, and a Lightning Bolt to FireWire adapter is working quite neatly to transfer files.

According to ZoneBench, random 4K read/write performance:
Reads - 63.7 MB/s @16300 reads per second.
Writes - 98.9 MB/s @25325 writes per second.

With 10 MB blocks, min read speed is 922 MB/s, and max read speed is 1043 MB/s. It won't test write speed in 10MB chunks at the moment.

This is with full disk encryption enabled.

I particularly like it with the screen set to the native physical resolution of 2560x1600. That is, I acknowledge, hard for some people to see, but I think it's great. Then again, I'm hopelessly nearsighted even in my old age.

I'm transferring the old account manually because I think it's too old to migrate automatically, and I've been carrying the same account forward since roughly 2002 so it's got a lot of baggage. Unfortunately, manually transferring everything and getting all my settings straight will probably take a couple weeks of low-intensity work.

So far so good...and as for my final: I can't think of any questions that I know I got wrong, which in my experience is a good sign. Not that it matters since the course is just an audit, meaning nothing informative will go on my transcript, but it's still nice to think I more-or-less know the material.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 6:28 am 

Good luck with the new machine. I'm still using the wife's 2011 MPH as there is no spare cash around after buying a very expensive dog last October and finally renovating my forty year bathroom. It now has a singing and dancing toilet which I spent the weekend testing.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:23 am 

congrats on the upgrade! :geek:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:12 pm 
Master

Thanks!

Have we seen pictures of the expensive dog and renovated bathroom? :)

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:18 pm 

I think the singing & dancing toilet cries out for video. :D

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 1:45 pm 
Master

A co-worker just had a dancing toilet: he was renovating his bathroom to sell the house and described a process to evict the old toilet where he rocked it back and forth to gracefully dance it across the floor to the front door, from which as a grand finale he heaved unloved latrine in to the front yard. Technically I think he did the singing, and technically the lyrics were probably unfit for a family-friendly site like this one, but the end of the dance might have been fun to see.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:41 am 

Anonymous wrote:
A co-worker just had a dancing toilet: he was renovating his bathroom to sell the house and described a process to evict the old toilet where he rocked it back and forth to gracefully dance it across the floor to the front door, from which as a grand finale he heaved unloved latrine in to the front yard. Technically I think he did the singing, and technically the lyrics were probably unfit for a family-friendly site like this one, but the end of the dance might have been fun to see.

- Anonymous

I feel sorry for the grass he just killed with that toilet :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:10 pm 

Anonymous wrote:

- Anonymous

Ha! I'm glad I got a pro to take out the old one and install the new one. It was the first one he'd ever installed.

https://youtu.be/GIQk1-cEesE

The video is Dutch but very visual.

I'll get a pic of the dog up real soon but be warned. She is the cutest thing you will ever see and what is seen cannot be unseen! You could fall in love with her and never get her out of your head again.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:18 pm 

In all her glory...

Sorry the pic is physically big. I had all kinds of hoops to jump through to get it online. I will resize it when I get a moment.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:27 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Adorable. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:07 am 

No resizing that! Never ever downsize a cute fwoof!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:12 am 

cute dog avon!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:18 am 
Master

Wow, that toilet is like something a startled American would find in Tokyo!

The dog is very cute. I grew up with dogs and cats and other animals always part of the household, but can't have any now because of health regulations with the tea business in the house. :( I make up for it by borrowing pets from neighbors and relatives whenever I get the chance.

As for my final exam, I finally my grade: 105%. I suspect the second highest score may have belonged to a non-admitted high school freshmen taking it as a community education course. Meanwhile, the 13" MBP is working really nicely. I've found I'm a lot more likely to take it with me because it's so much lighter and more compact than the old 15", and the ultra-high resolution screen (equivalent of an old Apple 30" Cinema Display) makes working with large documents or several documents simultaneously very pleasant.

- Anonymous