XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2017 8:05 am 

What settings should I have for out of country travel? both on the MacBook Pro and the new iPhone. I’m sort of thinking in writing here as I inventory what I’ve done, please forgive my typical wordiness.

I’ve broken this into 2 parts for the 2 devices. Please do take a look at my iPhone questions which are much more interesting and where I am really in need of support.

I got some help on this before and I believe I have followed it all. Thanks.

But just to be sure, can you think of things I might have omitted or not known that should be done for security and ease of use (probably these 2 are mutually exclusive).

MacBook Pro (2011) running Mavericks.
Long ago I disabled and nuked AirDrop - I assume it’s still vulnerable. It would make moving photos from the phone to the MBP easier, but I’ve learned how to do that using DropBox as the interlocutor. I can’t do it with iCloud, our iPhoto on the MBP is too old.

I set up FindmyPhone(aka MBP)
I’ll turn off Sharing but I’m still using it now to get stuff from one computer to the other
Bonjour? OFF? iMessage shows in the sidebar that Bonjour ON - can it/should it be Off? I don't exactly know what it does or if I am using it, but I don't think so unless it works in the background when the 2 of us share documents from one computer to the other via Sharing.

Thanks all for your help - and do expect to hear from me on the road - assuming the coming blizzard doesn't spoil everything.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2017 1:26 pm 

I don't know if this would work for you but I used to move photos from my wife's iPhone 4 to my G4 running Tiger OS using Image capture. IC just treated the phone as it would any other camera.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:55 pm 

I would just turn on your firewall and enable the block all services option when you're on the road. Disabling Bonjour will break a lot more things than you expect it to because it's been integral to Apple's networking stack for a while now. With the firewall set to block all incoming and outgoing traffic it shouldn't be able to talk anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:01 pm 

Limnos wrote:
I don't know if this would work for you but I used to move photos from my wife's iPhone 4 to my G4 running Tiger OS using Image capture. IC just treated the phone as it would any other camera.

This sounded so simple and brilliant, Limnos. I waited till today to try it once again before reporting back.
I couldn't make it work the first time I tried it days ago.
Tried it again, same results - nada.

Although Image capture sees the iPhone, lists it under devices and says it's connected via USB it doesn't see the photo on it (yes there is only one) so it doesn't think there is anything to move.

I'm in Mavericks on the MBP and iOS10 on the iPhone 6s.

Obviously, I'd love to know why it doesn't work - Mavs too old, iPhone too new?

dropbox still seems to be the only way I can do this...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:04 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I would just turn on your firewall and enable the block all services option when you're on the road. ...With the firewall set to block all incoming and outgoing traffic it shouldn't be able to talk anyway.

Block all services on firewall won't kill it seeing the iPhone will it? or using FaceTime or iMessage? We can do both from the phone if it's safer, but we must communicate with someone back home.

I have firewall enabled, and kept Bonjour active. I have stopped the iPhone from being able to back up to iCloud - I remember someone (Anon) said to do that. Sharing will be turned off before I pack the MBP for traveling.

btw we had almost 3 feet of snow here in 24 hours with this wonderful, travel killing blizzard.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 6:13 pm 

I've been hiding under blankets the past two days, I don't even know what it looks like outside. My car may very well have been turned into a snow bank. Caught some annoying bug that is slowly going away.

The iPhone should be connected over your lightning/dock cable, which the firewall setting doesn't affect.

If I remember right it will prompt you if the firewall blocks an application. You can try enabling the firewall now and seeing if it affects the app. Connect from the Mac to the iPhone, should go over WiFi for Facetime. If it doesn't work, adjust the firewall setting, try again. This way you know the behavior.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:44 am 

Image Capture only worked with items in the Camera Roll, not ones synced or transferred by another method. I now use Mavericks at home but my wife now syncs her 5s phone to her own computer so I haven't experimented with newer setup.

Anticipate questions about travel to Japan in the next few months. We are setting up something for later this year. :P

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:32 am 

Limnos wrote:

Anticipate questions about travel to Japan in the next few months. We are setting up something for later this year. :P

Ask away, I'll be happy to help if I can.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 6:16 am 

Limnos wrote:
Image Capture only worked with items in the Camera Roll, not ones synced or transferred by another method. I now use Mavericks at home but my wife now syncs her 5s phone to her own computer so I haven't experimented with newer setup.

Greetings from Japan. We are too early for sakura, though by the end of the trip we should be seeing some fine blossoms - or at least we hope so. The blossoms are supposedly following the "average" schedule, but they are behind our last year's trip - on which we based the dates for this year's trip. We've seen plenty and have gobs of photos so we aren't too depressed.

For photos from the phone (which are primarily food shots - I hated to bring our big cameras out to meals, and often forgot to take photos at breakfast and lunch even when we had the cameras with us - but with the phone it's a snap (pun intended)

I've downloaded the photos via Preview which lets me import from the phone as if it's a camera.
Image Capture works too - what I wasn't doing before was beginning with the phone unlocked; with a locked phone nothing works (that's probably why they call it locked)

I have to learn how to stop taking burst photos - one photo resulted in 12 different identical shots.

Otherwise, all is well - except for the lack of masses of blossoms and an occasional rain day - we are doing fine. Unless I begin to recall how this all started with cancelled flights due to nearly 3 feet of snow.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2017 5:03 pm 

That's interesting. I've only ever seen cherry blossoms in northern Michigan, and they normally start in May. Though. Hmm. Maybe the trees by work are cherry trees. They blossom around that same time. Though they don't drop cherries.