XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sat Apr 29, 2017 5:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:17 pm 

I am trying to authorize a Computer in iTunes for purchasing music in the iTunes Store. I have a new iMac with two Accounts (1 account for me and 1account for my wife, 1 account for me. I have already authorized the computer for my Apple ID and I am now trying to authorize the computer for my wife's Apple ID. After authorizing the computer for my Wife's Apple ID, I retrieved her info on her iTunes my Account. Below are the results for Authorized devices:
Attachment:
iTunes Account.tiff
iTunes Account.tiff [ 29.85 KiB | Viewed 326 times ]

As you can see: there are 3 computers associated with her Apple ID, but if you look at Manage devices, there is only 1 computer ( iPad). My wife is unable to preview music on iTunes at this time and she has not tried to purchase any music.

my Account indicates 3 computers associated with my Apple ID, Manage Devicesfor My Apple ID shows 3 computers listed (MacBook, iPad and iPhone.

Am I setting up the authorization incorrectly for my wife?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Thanks!
Blazer88

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 10:35 am 

Item resolved itself. There is still a discrepancy in the numbers. It shows there are 3 computers authorized to play to play contents with my wife's Apple ID and 2 devices associated with the Apple ID and can download purchases from iTunes in the iCloud. Should the authorized devices be the same as the associated to the Apple ID or are these two bits of information completely different?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Apple Discussions isn't loading for me right now, but does this answer it?

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4120872?tstart=0

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 6:59 pm 

B,

Good Catch ;) , it explains the issue I was having and allowing me to better understand the difference between authorized and associated. Let me see if I got it right. Authorized means computers/devices I can use to purchase from iTunes using my Apple ID. Associated allows computers/device to playback the selections I have in my Music Library. Have I got it or not? I am guessing there is no way to see what computer/devices are Associated?
Darrell

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:36 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I believe you have it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:35 am 

Good link BD.

Thank you for posting that.

FWIW- when you move up / over to a new computer and sell one off try to remember to remove it from Authorized computers. That'll make life easier for you when you move over to the new one.

I always forget to do that with my Adobe stuff and that's even worse.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:44 am 

Last time I checked you can, once a year, deauthorize all computers and devices from your Apple ID. You then go through, one by one, and reauthorize everything whenever it prompts you (usually pretty quick).

This is pretty much the only way to purge a computer that up and died from your account... well, not unless it was under warranty or you paid the highway robbery Apple charges for repair. In theory they're supposed to flash the new parts with the old system's serial number, MAC address, etc. so it can slide in under the radar, but if you replace the motherboard on your own that'll all change and it usually slides in as a new system as far as your Apple ID is concerned.

Ugh, don't even talk to me about Adobe. :|