XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:37 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:27 am 

Peeps:

Over here on this channel, another issue which has popped up, I have my MPro's HD 1TB cut into three large partitions, and then off the back end a few small ones cut for LM. Today I tried to use DU to cut a small partition from the third and largest partition, by "resizing" and sliding up from the bottom edge . . . and then clicking "apply" . . . . The "preparing to partition disk" barbershop symbol started turning and that went on for 10-15 minutes, then I realized, "O, I'm in a user account" . . . so I quit DU and logged into admin, and started the process over . . . now, a half an hour later the same thing is happening . . . still preparing. Obviously there is a "glitch" somewhere . . . .

I'm trying to get the disk ready for another linux install, this one for Gecko-linux . . . and I usually like to set up the rough partitions in OSX DU format to NTFS (or whatever, "free) . . . and then use GParted for the linux install. I could probably cut out a partition using the linux installer, but I like OSX to feel like it is the "leader of the pack" on this machine . . . but, it isn't leading from the front today . . . . Obviously I've used DU to cut this HD up before, and it seemed to work, but, trying to split off 45GB or so out of a 418GB partition, today doesn't seem to be happening?? I'll let it run for awhile longer, but seems to be stuck in a timewarp?? Ideers? After I pushed up the slider, should I have clicked on the "new" empty space and tried to format that?? Didn't seem to be an option, just, slide it up and click "apply" . . . then in admin account the "Partition disk" drop down happened and I clicked "go" or whatever it said . . . now, we're stuck??

e.e.p.

Last edited by este.el.paz on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:40 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Did you ever use Bootcamp to partition it?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:55 am 

BDAqua wrote:
Did you ever use Bootcamp to partition it?

Nope. I learned that one the "hard way" on my MBPro . . . had to do nuke/pave for everything.

Tried to do this again, and seeing if I could select the "new" partition, but, nope. I'm wondering if this is because this new disk is "non-sequential" to the other items that are "behind it" and possibly OSX has to go through and "itemize" everything on all the partitions???

It's sort of like the olde spinning BB . . . it's spinning away, but nothing seems to be happening . . . . Don't know if it's worth letting it run for hours, or, wasting my and my computer's time . . . cut/run. Try the GParted installer approach???

e...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:02 am 
Benevolent Dictator

What is the Oldest OSX/DU you can try?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:11 am 

BDAqua wrote:
What is the Oldest OSX/DU you can try?

On this computer 10.9; but, conceivably on the ext HD I could boot the MBPro "backup clone" which I might have a 10.6 version of. Oldest Intel OSX I have is a partition on the MBPro of 10.6.8, but cant remember if I saved that on cloned extHD or not . . . that would be the "easiest." Or, forget OSX and chop it up with GParted.

e..

edit: Looks like I have a 10.6.8 clone on the ext HD.

edit2: I tried booting the 10.6.8 clone, but DU "failed the operation, because it requires a newer version of OSX." So I tried booting the 10.9 clone from the ext HD . . . seems to be the same spinning BB deal. Probably abort it in a minute, and then later try to slice it out with linux side tools . . . . ??? It's all "games" and not super mission critical . . . . But, still, should be relatively "simple" operation . . . .

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:56 am 

So, after the previous edits posted I rebooted to 10.12 Recovery Disk, thought I'd go for the big guns before messing with regular 10.12 . . . and, took a minute to figure out the "pie chart" method . . . but, entered the new disk size, hit "apply" . . . and literally less than a minute it was "done."

Thanks for the interaction on it . . . I guess the answer to all things OSX is . . . 10.12 or the "newest" version??

e.e.p

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:15 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work, thanks for the report! :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:35 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Great work, thanks for the report! :)

Sure. Kind of "strange" considering that traditionally OSX has been "user friendly" and "very informative" . . . in this case there was no "error report" or message to "try again," . . . it just was "preparing" . . . and probably would have continued for hours if I didn't have some previous experience with the process to "know" that it shouldn't have taken so long, etc.

It's wacky how some areas of OSX are super high functioning, and others of deep dysfunction . . . much like the general human being I suppose . . . . :coffee:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:51 pm 

10.11 and up use a rewritten DU.

It has its own set of issues, namely that adding two partitions to an existing disk requires multiple resizing operations (resize partition 1, add partition 2, resize partition 2, add partition 3). Given that it resizes so much I guess it makes sense that they've put extra work into making it run.

I think the team that wrote the new DU also wrote the resizing function, because they use it for everything, even when there's no good reason to.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:10 pm 

@MB:

Well, the 10.12 Recovery DU worked . . . whereas the 10.9 and 10.6 did not . . . .

e...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:28 pm 

Yup, which is probably due to them having put all that effort into resize operations.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:27 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Yup, which is probably due to them having put all that effort into resize operations.

[wheeze . . . puff . . . puff . . . wheeze] . . . :snail: Well, then 12 really is "better" . . . in that respect. Still, I get that there is a touch of complexity to the "resize" of existing partitions . . . but, it is something that GParted does fast and wheezelessly in an install . . . .

Speaking of idle questions, I was going to format the new 45 GB partition to something other than OSX journaled, etc, but, no choice for "free space" as there used to be. I remember that I did this a few months ago, but in 12 there was no explanation of "exFAT" V "msDOS" . . . there was something about the partition size factoring into that . . . it just has to be one of something that linux can recognize as "available" . . . which I then turn into "ext4" . . . format.

e.e.