XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Sep 10, 2016 7:33 am 

BDAqua wrote:

@BDAq:

Precerate the links . . . the first one is funny, with the language translation probably done by Google . . . the last one is interesting, in regards to the poster saying "laptops aren't easy" . . . and then the "no wifi" . . . also kind of defeats the purpose of the laptop. Which is where linux could come to the rescue . . . it all works, upgrade-able . . . and perhaps the Hackintosh part would just be for some apps???

I personally found the Cromebooks screen to be "too small" . . . just sayin' . . . .

e..

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:43 pm 

Keep in mind "no wifi" is simple to fix by plugging in a USB WiFi adapter.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:52 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Keep in mind "no wifi" is simple to fix by plugging in a USB WiFi adapter.

By using a "dongle"???? Just saying that I don't touch dongles . . . of any type . . . . : - )

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:09 pm 

The angle of the dongle is proportional to the... need of the wifi? That doesn't seem right.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:52 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
The angle of the dongle is proportional to the... need of the wifi? That doesn't seem right.

It sort of does . . . . :fishsmack:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:18 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Welcome aboard Johttn ! :welcome:

Thanks for the input! :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:25 pm 

BDAqua wrote:

@johttn:

Also, welcome, and thanks for the post . . . although somebody named "BDAqua" kind of beat u to the punch on the hackie laptops links . . . and I kind of responded to that previous post wherein some say "it's harder to hack a laptop than a desktop for a hackintosh, etc" . . . but, better late than never, etc.

As probably mentioned rather than going "new" . . . we went with SSD & the local computer store said, "This computer can't do more than 4 GB RAM" . . . so the wife listened to them rather than the robust knowledge provided here . . . . And, then I tried to get 10.9 to install, but it wasn't working . . . so I jumped her to 10.11 . . . .

Most fun aspect is that she got a Samsung 27" ***curved*** display . . . so that is running from the MB . . . with a much larger real estate to play in . . . easy-peasy . . . . I'd almost ***want*** one, but, then the olde Powermac probably couldn't power it?????

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:27 am 

There's been a ton of remanufactured 2012 MBPs showing up in online stores lately, in the $300-$600 range.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:26 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
There's been a ton of remanufactured 2012 MBPs showing up in online stores lately, in the $300-$600 range.

Possibly worth looking at for those in the laptop market . . . my '09, new to me in '10, C2D is still going well . . . sans optical drive . . . .

e.e.p.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:12 pm 

Yeah I have a 2010 at work and the 2009s are virtually identical (slightly older GPU as I recall).

I am seriously waffling on upgrading to a 2012 though. The GPU is worse but I'd really like to have USB3... the faster CPU is kind of a push since I rarely do anything CPU intensive on it, but it'd be a bonus. I mean, we have the 2012s lying around, all I have to do is move my RAM & HD over and get Windows working again (hi ho sysprep away). Wouldn't be my property but it's tempting since my 2010 got hung up recovering 3TB of data over USB2 for the better part of a week.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 12:35 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
Yeah I have a 2010 at work and the 2009s are virtually identical (slightly older GPU as I recall).

I am seriously waffling on upgrading to a 2012 though. The GPU is worse but I'd really like to have USB3... the faster CPU is kind of a push since I rarely do anything CPU intensive on it, but it'd be a bonus. I mean, we have the 2012s lying around, all I have to do is move my RAM & HD over and get Windows working again (hi ho sysprep away). Wouldn't be my property but it's tempting since my 2010 got hung up recovering 3TB of data over USB2 for the better part of a week.

@MB:

With you on the USB2 is not exactly quick thought . . . just had to move an iso file from 09er MBPro to usb flash drive . . . almost was slower than the actual download. But, as always, with new stuff, some things are better and some not . . . but the wave of time is only going forward and at some point the 09er will drop out of "support" for upgrades . . . and then the short quick fall from "grace" in a couple fast moving years . . . . Then, nothing left but, um . . . linux . . . . :classic-eek:

e...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:09 pm 
Master

Johttn is no longer a user on this board.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:26 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Johttn is no longer a user on this board.

- Anonymous

That seemed "fast" . . . was he/she a "spammer" or poster of uncensored lasciviousness ????? Just wondering . . . . : - )

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:30 pm 

I assumed he was a spammer, though I don't remember anything from him.

They're always looking for the quick payout, never go for the long game, slyly sneaking things in here and there.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:50 pm 

MonkeyBoy wrote:
I assumed he was a spammer, though I don't remember anything from him.

They're always looking for the quick payout, never go for the long game, slyly sneaking things in here and there.

Hehehe . . . right, "crime" and "long game" don't seem to go together . . . they must have some "quota" to meet in order to get paid . . . . How many spam posts can you make this week, etc??

e...

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:59 pm 

I'm pretty sure that's their model. They don't get paid unless they post it and the person paying them can verify they posted it.

That's why old blog post comment sections are full of posts from these guys. They also love to hit forums that have been abandoned by the admins.

These guys are why so many forums have taken the step of not allowing new users to post links to their forum until a set number of posts and a set amount of time has passed. And if they make a bunch of posts unrelated to the topic they're responding to (usually they'll just copy & paste a response from another forum, which may not mesh well with the discussion), their account gets axed.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:24 pm 
Master

This guy is specifically the same jerk previously registered as "AhsanRaza" and spammed the OS X forum recently, still working from Pakistan IP ranges.

I'm cautiously optimistic he won't be back for a while.

- Anonymous

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:23 am 

MonkeyBoy wrote:

Yeah, I was just notified about a bunch on OWC's web site. Mind you all the ones in the $300+ range are in need of $200 upgrades to make them usable as modern computers (2GB RAM, 320 GB HDD). Still, anything worth looking at there even with OWC prices?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 4:29 pm 

et al:

Back over on this channel, as mentioned on the other thread (G4 related) . . . I just ordered another set of two 4GB RAM to add into my '12 MP . . . bringing it up to the white hot 16 GB warp level . . . !!!!!! And prices for this style of RAM are down substantially on OWC from a year ago BTW . . . .

Just wondering whether it beheeves me to put the new RAM into slots 1 & 2 (now occupied), moving the now almost "one year old" RAM into slots 3 & 4??? Or, doesn't matter where "new" and "old" RAM sits, it's all "bio-electrified" into a single RAM entity of plasmic memory?? I should just drop the new fours into the open slots 3 & 4 and don't fiddle with moving the old . . . based on the "if it ain't broke don't mess with it" wisdom???

e.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 5:12 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Doesn't matter.

Well, maybe it does, the electrons have already etched their path... why make them learn a new route? :welcome:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:01 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Doesn't matter.

Well, maybe it does, the electrons have already etched their path... why make them learn a new route? :welcome:

Um, because they might have to??? I tried to very ***carefully** re-order the ***exact*** same RAM from OWC as I had purchased about a year ago . . . along with the PRAM batt for the G4 . . . . Today was the chore day, so trying the battery in the G4 failed to elicit anything. So I moved on to the RAM in the MacPro . . . seems "simple" enough . . . pop the side panel, pop the tray . . . click the new 4 GB RAM stick into the #3 slot, and another in the #4 slot . . . stats read the same on the label, although they **looked** a little different . . . no worries . . . slap it back together . . . plug it in and hit the power button for the raging 16 GB to lift off . . . boot chime . . . yes . . . then urrrpppp . . . flashing light indicating . . . no goooo!!!

Crap-ol-a . . . OK, must be that the new RAM has to go into #1 & 2 slot??? Pop the panel, tray . . . flip the old RAM out, put the new RAM in . . . close it up . . . plug it in . . . hit the power button . . . boot chime!!!! . . . and . . . again, flashing light of doom.

Popped the panel, popped the tray . . . hey, one of these RAM pairs is "made in China" . . . the other is "hecho in Mexico" esta incompatible con el Chinoise RAM . . . no habla Chinese??? Que paso???

Called the Tech, told him the story . . . he checked out my old order and the new order and agreed that that would be the problem. Moral of the story . . . don't make old RAM try to learn new electron pathways or make them play with other strangers, even of same type and speed, but created by a different manufacturer . . . send it back and get all new RAM at the same time??? I'm hoping that the replacement RAM they send me will be desde Mexico . . . I'll install the new set **before** I mail them the Chinese set . . . . MacPro is pretty "finicky" . . . no??

e

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:23 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Wondering, did you try just the new RAM by itself?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 6:42 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
Wondering, did you try just the new RAM by itself?

Yep. Did that before I called . . . each of the two types worked . . . alone . . . just not together. So, I'm running the new RAM now, waiting for the replacements to arrive to add to the new . . . .

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:49 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Ah, thanks.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:30 am 

Sure . . . I try to be somewhat "disciplined" when testing stuff out . . . . But, from a "seat of the pants" viewpoint it seems like the new Mexican RAM is "faster" than the olde Chinese RAM . . . or, perhaps more "Speedy G"???? The machine seems to be responding quickly . . . ??? :ugeek: :coffee: :?:

I'll be looking forward to the double tap of speedy RAM from South o the Border . . . super Speedy!!!!

e.e.