XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:34 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:14 pm 

If Mac sales flop, that won't lead to a revamped line with more options. Apple will assume that people want more iDevices, not desktops. The likely result, sadly, will be no change or even fewer options.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 2:34 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I agree W, & that is their mindset… sadly. :(

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 5:45 pm 

It's kind of ironic since iDevices were created to drive Mac sales.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:00 am 

The trend now is iDevices are outselling desktops, so from a marketing point of view, the trend is your friend. Expect more of this.
I read recently the new big cash cow for Apple, is increasingly sales from streaming media content to those iDevices. These are now the utlility for paid content. Still a hardware manufacturer but it is becoming more of a media company.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 2:56 am 

Except iDevices have long since become uninteresting to me. Apple is wandering further and further into the desert and I'm wondering why anyone ever follows them. Wake me when they add MicroSD slots and let me install apps onto them.

Last edited by MonkeyBoy on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2016 1:22 pm 

When Apple cripples entry level iDevices with 16GB of storage there are two reasons. One is a little more evil than the other. Seeing as they could start capacities at 32GB and not even notice it on the balance sheet, forcing users to suffer with 16GB, is one of the most evil things they have done. Phil Schiller defended the move in truly pathetic style by saying those users didn't need more because they had the cloud at their disposal. The reply (to a John Gruber question) was also evil but Gruber bottled the follow up question by not asking: what percentage of those 16GB devices had SIM cards?

I wonder how great the experience is trying to get by on 16GB and sporadic Wi-Fi.

I bet it's not much fun and also a security nightmare for the user.

The upshot of not having an SD slot is that I own an Android phone and I could even upgrade it to Android 6.

Apple lost the sale.

Last edited by Avon B7 on Wed Aug 10, 2016 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:29 am 

Personally I'm struck just how odd Apple is acting. They have platforms with fixed memory and fixed storage (iDevices). Now they've changed most of their computer line to match that setup in memory and in some cases storage too (at least if you treat non-standard proprietary interfaces as fixed, which it nearly is).

I remember developers complaining a lot about the Apple Tax before when it came to ordering systems with RAM & storage from Apple (which is why the 0/0 configurations were orderable through the developer program). Now nobody can do that and yet nobody seems to mind, even though they're most certainly being overcharged through the nose for RAM & storage.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 10:58 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I suspected long before the introduction of the crazy underpowered 1.4 GHz Mini that Apple was trying to make a move to ARM in their Macs seem plausible, couple that with basically crippling OSX at every point to what can be done on an iDevice, (for years they've had ARM code in OSX & Apps), that one day all Macs, if they still exist, will have ARM CPUs & just enough RAM to get on the Internet & use meCould#9. :upset:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:31 pm 

BDAqua wrote:
601, I don't think they have much better to offer than what you have already.

Oh, well they know better than me, and everyone else with an old Mac.

I was at a Mac heavy facility the other day, "Cheese Grater" Mac Pros as far as the eye can see. The two guys in charge said they have budget to replace the Mac Pro fleet. But they can't afford Thunderbolt storage.

I just bought my dad a Core i3 HP Mini to replace an old Dell and it is wonderful, the memory slots and hard drive are three screws away.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:42 pm 

Avon B7 wrote:
When Apple cripples entry level iDevices with 16GB of storage there are two reasons. One is a little more evil than the other. Seeing as they could start capacities at 32GB and not even notice it on the balance sheet, forcing users to suffer with 16GB, is one of the most evil things they have done. Phil Schuller defended the move in truly pathetic style by saying those users didn't need more because they had the cloud at their disposal. The reply (to a John Gruber question) was also evil but Gruber bottled the follow up question by not asking: what percentage of those 16GB devices had SIM cards?

I wonder how great the experience is trying to get by on 16GB and sporadic Wi-Fi.

I bet it's not much fun and also a security nightmare for the user.

The upshot of not having an SD slot is that I own an Android phone and I could even upgrade it to Android 6.

Apple lost the sale.

Believe it or not, the last two major iOS releases often wouldn't even fit onto the 16 GB models because they were too big. There wasn't enough free space to get the update. Now, the Note 7's lowest size configuration? 64 GB. And it still has a MicroSD slot for up to 256 GB of additional storage for 320 GB in total (300 GB after formatting/OS). So yeah, just a tad evil on Apple's part. Even if I went with 128 kbps MP3s I still couldn't fit my current music collection onto a 16 GB phone.

BDAqua wrote:
I suspected long before the introduction of the crazy underpowered 1.4 GHz Mini that Apple was trying to make a move to ARM in their Macs seem plausible, couple that with basically crippling OSX at every point to what can be done on an iDevice, (for years they've had ARM code in OSX & Apps), that one day all Macs, if they still exist, will have ARM CPUs & just enough RAM to get on the Internet & use meCould#9. :upset:

That's probably not far from the truth. Apple would love to be divorced from Intel, because once they do that, it's game over for anyone that wants to not be corralled into their walled garden of mediocrity.
601 wrote:
BDAqua wrote:
601, I don't think they have much better to offer than what you have already.

Oh, well they know better than me, and everyone else with an old Mac.

I was at a Mac heavy facility the other day, "Cheese Grater" Mac Pros as far as the eye can see. The two guys in charge said they have budget to replace the Mac Pro fleet. But they can't afford Thunderbolt storage.

I just bought my dad a Core i3 HP Mini to replace an old Dell and it is wonderful, the memory slots and hard drive are three screws away.

That's why the cMPs have retained their value throughout the years. Older tech or not, they're more expandable, more upgradeable, and have a longer viable lifespan than the trashcan pros ever will.

Sadly Apple is doing exactly what Blizzard is doing with its customers: making changes people clearly hate, loathe, and despise, and then burying their heads in the sand and going "na na na WE CAN'T HEAR YOU". Eventually it's going to bite them in the ass right through the virtual 'rhoid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:33 pm 

If the facts are correct in this article, it amounts to another nail in the head of Apple. I suppose the price is the easiest short term corrective measure but someone surely has to be listening in Cupertino. I read this interview and couldn't believe the candy flossed answers they were giving. When will someone actually follow through on the answers and hit hard with the follow up question?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:31 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
FC: Many people argue that you, Google, Amazon, and Facebook are all after the same thing in the long run: ownership of the customer throughout the day.

Federighi and Cue together: We don’t think of it that way.

LOL… Real answer… "We don't think Google, Amazon, and Facebook should own the customers at all".

PostPosted: Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:01 am 

The customer is part of our collective, resistance is futile.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:20 am 

I think the only thing now selling Macs is marketing. Although this information is basically based on last update dates, it doesn't look nice. seeing as the last upgradeable mac was released more than four years ago and since then glue has come into fashion, it means you really need Applecare which will buy you peace of mind for three years (max) and after that you'll be running on your luck as, while the machine may be technically repairable, the official cost will probably dissuade you from doing it.

All eyes are on the rumour mill now. All it would take is for someone like Asus to build a hackintosh friendly machine out of the box and it would potentially find a large niche market for itself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 8:33 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Hmmm, they're basing "Don't Buy" on updates soon???

Isn't that a reason to "Buy NOW", before even more crippled versions are released with a new version of iOSX that'll break much of your useful SW & tie you even tighter into Apples "eco system"?

I think those are the reasons Mac sales are down, they seem to be marketing Macs as big iPhones. :(

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2016 11:16 am 

A while back ASUS added some feature to their UEFI that pretty much only applied to people building hackintoshes. It, of course, was a fairly cryptic and otherwise unmemorable option but from what I saw the forums jumped all over it as making hacks easier with pretty much no other reason to exist.

Actually BD they're marketing iPads as Macs now. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2016 10:08 pm 

Many people are simply finding that iPads and iPhones are doing everything they want and they are mobile.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 09, 2016 11:02 am 

Yes and no. The reason those clunky oversized monstrosities like the Samsung Note are popular is because people only have enough money to buy a single device, and they opt for the cheapest device that can accomplish most of what they want to do.

If they had enough money they would have a phone, tablet, and computer, but since they can only choose one, they go for a phablet because it's the best compromise for a single device.

Just because their personal finances force them to use it doesn't mean its the best device to fit their needs, they just can't afford to get the best device.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 11, 2016 4:09 am 

I got the Note 4 because its screen size meant that I could still usually read what's on it despite being a phone. I've been soured on tablets ever since I got my ASUS Transformer Prime TF-201 years ago and it was slow as molasses out of the box and the keyboard w/ extra battery was more of a novelty than a help (at $125 it wasn't cheap either).

PostPosted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 12:04 pm 

Terry wrote:
Many people are simply finding that iPads and iPhones are doing everything they want and they are mobile.

True, but it's lowering the bar on many levels. There will soon be people who see desktops as prehistoric monsters. For some, laptops could be the next dinosaurs. The problem is that the mobile interface is years off perfection and those people will soon forget that a better experience exists and take the attitude that it's good enough and accept whatever they're given.

I want arrows on the keyboard for example. Could there be an easier way to move the insertion point around on a mobile screen? especially when you're right at the top, bottom, left and right.