XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:10 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Transfer Docs to Dropbox
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:43 pm 

I have a dilemma. Awhile back I use to create Documents, using MS Word on my G3/G4 PPC, save them to Docs on my HD and then relocate them to Dropbox (also on the HD) when I decided to use the Dropbox application. Since then, Dropbox dropped its support for OS X 10.4 and I have purchased a new computer (OS X 10.12.3). I recently created a Doc in Pages that I would like to add it to Dropbox. Would anyone know how I can get the doc into Dropbox? I have tried their recommendation of using their upload, but that does not seem to work for me.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2017 9:16 pm 
he who stacks pork

Assuming you have installed Dropbox on your new system, and have logged into the service, you should be able to navigate (in the Finder) to your Dropbox directory. Example:

username/Dropbox

Make sure you launch the Dropbox service (obviously log in with your Dropbox username and password), and when you drag files to your username/Dropbox directory, they should move into there (I always option+drag, so as to copy the files/folders to Dropbox rather than move them there).

Please let us know if this works. If there is some other difficulty you are experiencing, perhaps others can chime in; this is the extent of my knowledge with Dropbox usage.

-he who stacks pork

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:23 am 
Benevolent Dictator

I much prefer to user a Browser & login to DropBox, yen upload my files, it still works in 10.4.11, plus DB doesn't hog things or delete or redownload things if I move things from the DB folder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:27 pm 

Tried both recommendations for Dropbox and received different results for each

Leopold Porkstacker: Followed your recommendation: launched Dropbox App, logged in and used option+ drag technique to move doc into Dropbox, Seemed to go OK but when I went to the directory to locate the file, it was n0 where to be found. Note:In fact as soon as I dragged the document to the directory, I received a notification that asked me if I wanted to upgrade my Dropbox App to Dropbox Premium

BDA: tried your recommendation: Brought up Dropbox in browser, logged in, highlighted file; drag file to Dropbox diectory. Reviewed directory and was unable to locate file. Performed Dropbox search -> results showed upload to Dropbox. clicked button and it displayed on screen as a Pages Document, still not appearing in directory

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:47 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Attachment:
DropBox Upload.gif [24.65 KiB]
Not downloaded yet
What Directory Folder did you have open?

It has a strange way of determining where it goes, so it's in another place than what you suspect.

What does the Directory at the start of the Red Arrow say when you click on the right end of the arrow?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:39 pm 

B,
I didn't know there were different directories. When I login, the directory that has all my files (.docx) is usually displayed. When I logged into Dropbox tonite, the file Itried to add this afternoon appeared but it was an extension) was .pages, probably because I used pages to create the doc. Now it shows.the directory like it normally displays when I login into Dropbox.

Are directories dependent on the .ext designation the file is assigned? All the docs in the original directory were .docx, because I used MS Word to create them and the latest doc was created in Pages, .pages.

Re: Directoryat the start of the red arrow? I see no red arrow

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:24 am 
Benevolent Dictator

Quote:
Are directories dependent on the .ext designation the file is assigned?

Not that I'm aware of.

The red arrow in the pic I linked to above.

Sometimes you have to refresh the page at DB or toggle back & forth between directories to see current uploads.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 1:49 pm 

Sorry B,
The link did not appear on my iPad but I 'Grab" a screen view of Dropbox after I logged in:
Attachment:
dropbox.tiff [159.86 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Not getting the layout like your link. Do I need to set something up?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 3:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I don't think so, maybe different browser, diff OS X, is yours a paid account?

So, there's no upload button or link anywhere?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:37 pm 

Used safari, Chrome and Dropbox App. Nothing like your link. Retracing my steps: Created Doc in Pages and saved to iCloudlike I have with past docs. Should I have saved the document to someplace other than iCloud? Pages HELP was of no use. Search for 'Save file to Dropbox'.

Found File Name in Dropbox recents located on left side of Dropbox Directory:
Attachment:
dropbox2.tiff [105.06 KiB]
Not downloaded yet

Attachment shows Camera Uploads under the name of the doc, but looked at all the folders on the directory page and found nothing. Found Camera Uploads in directory , but when clicking on Camera Uploads there are no files. Also checked some of my folders thinking Dropbox snuck the doc into a folder and found nothing
don't know if this helps, otherwise no button or upload folder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 9:23 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

I don't know why ours are diff, but I do not have the App installed

This from DB themselves???

If you don't have the desktop application installed, or just want to upload a few files, you can always use our website.

Since the website uploader has a limit of 10 GB per file, and can only upload selections of files, we recommend using the Dropbox desktop application for entire folders and large files.

To upload files on the website:

Sign in to the Dropbox website.
Click the Upload button at the top of the window.
A window will appear. Click the Choose File button and then select the file on your computer that you'd like to add to your Dropbox.
Choose as many files as you like, and then click the Start Upload button.
Your files will start uploading, and you'll see a progress indicator. Once it's done, your files will be in your Dropbox!

Save your work in Dropbox - Business user guide - Dropbox
https://www.dropbox.com/guide/business/ ... in-dropbox

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:08 pm 

I have the desktop version on the iMac and the IOS App loaded on the iPad. When I first posted this problem, Porkstacker and you responded, Porkstacker recommendedI try a procedure using Drpbox's recommendation in their App and your input stated you prefer to use Dropbox via a browser. So I have been comparing the two ever since, especially in searching for the red arrow

I hope you received the attachments I put on the earlier posts because after I attached them to the posts I went to delete them on iCloud like I did previously with other posts on past issues and now I am unable to delete them from iCloud

The file I wanted to place into Dropbox is surly under 1GB and all the docs in Dropbox is under the limit I am suppose get for free.

success
I reuploaded my doc, found it in Camera Uploads, highlighted file name, fight clicked the mouse selected MOVE and moved it to the main Directory. Where the other went to, only the upload Gods know. Will check all devices and browsers to verify that the docs is in its appropriate foder.

Thanks B, you talked to through another problem. I do not know why I get stuck with these types of problems, but I am glad you are there. It may of been a little easier if DROPBOX HELP or PAGES HELP Would of provided a clue.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 5:05 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great to here you're making headway. :D

I wouldn't be too upset about having trouble figuring out the problem, body but nobody that programs this stuff have the time or inclination to actually use the stuff, my only advantage is that I think backwards... which is a non-plus as far as personal life goes. :coffee: