XYMer's Home away from Home

When http://bbs.xlr8yourmac.com is down (i.e. always)
It is currently Sun Apr 30, 2017 2:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 7:32 pm 

And once I locate the .plist line and highlight it, what would you like me to do with it?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 8:19 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Right in FindAnyFile highlight it, at the bottom of that window you'll see the path, you can right click on the path & choose copy posix style then paste the text here with CMD+v… or you can trash it & see if that stops the pop up.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 11:54 am 

Did what you recommended, performed a restart and the notification reappeared. When I dumped the trash before the restart I checked to see if the plugin eas still there. The plugin was gone but the alias was still there. I just checked the Find Any File and the alias is still there along with a plugin.tgz file name, but the entry for the plugin I dumped is gone?
Attachment:
dropbox.tiff
dropbox.tiff [ 20.36 KiB | Viewed 1123 times ]

Should I have dumped both the plugin and the alias?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:16 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

If you double click on the Alias does do anything?

Probably good idea to trash it anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 3:13 pm 

Dumped remaining plugin above. Still no luck Notification reappears like a bad penny. Any other ideas? What would happen if I dumped every Dropbox item since Dropbox is no longer supported for this OS or computer? I think there is only 62 items left unless you have another idea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:40 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

If your never going to use DropBox again, then you could trash all those items.

In Firefox, the home page isn't set to DropBox is it?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:13 pm 

No, Ten our Fox's home page is not set to dropbox. If I do not launch any App at start up, the Dropbox notification still appears :confused:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:32 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Then there has to be something in one of these location…

Check the System Preferences>Other Row, for 3rd party Pref Panes.

Also look in these if they exist, some are invisible...

/private/var/run/StartupItems

/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/StartupItems

/System/Library/LaunchDaemons

/Library/LaunchDaemons

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:17 pm 

B,

I never received notification of your response to my post and since I did not receive a notification, I took the easy way out and started to delete the items in Find Any File at about 8:30. I do not think I saw any of the files you mentioned in your post. I first started with the items in the Spotlight Search, which cleared the majority of the files on the Find Any File list. I did a RESTART and the notification did not reappear. I know deleting all the files would not be you first choice, but since Dropbox is not an option for this computer, I would have wanted to delete it sooner or later.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:28 pm 
Benevolent Dictator

Great work! :)

I think you can srill use Dropbox in a Browser, haven't tried it lately & my 10.4/10.5 Macs are out of commission but try...

https://www.dropbox.com/login

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:05 pm 

Since I deleted the App after Dropbox dropped its support, I have to reload the App but their minimum system reqs require you have at least OS X 10.6.

The reason why I dumped it, I think, was because, it would not even allow me to bring up any document I had in Dropbox.

When you get back your computer, you might try to see if you can login. Luckily, I have my son' MacBook 2,1 and my daughter's HP dv6500 Windows 7 laptop, so I can still edit add, delete files in Dropbox. The majority of the files I had in Dropbox were created by my G3/4 BW desktop. I wish Dropbox was still supported by Dropbox because I am so use to this keyboard. I do not make near the amount of typing errors on the B/W as I do on the MacBook and HP

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:26 am 

The modified PPC client still works, I use it every day. Its just the official client that got blackballed.

If you don't have the DropBox client installed anymore it may be a little tricky to get going though. Someone said in that case you should copy all your data over from another DropBox installation, so everything would just sync in place. The blasted thing tried to add a second copy of the files to DropBox, with the same names in the same folders. It put me over the storage limit before it even finished syncing. I'd say keep the folder empty so it can sync the files down, but then I'd worry that it would try to remove all the files in DropBox. I suppose if you make a copy of the DropBox folder on a working system first, then start playing, the risk is minimal.

As I said, once you get DropBox off the system it can be tricky to get it going again. Once it is, though, it's as seamless as it ever was.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:11 pm 

B,

I trIed to attach the Mail preference screen for you and I hosed it up. I SELECTED THE FILE, ADDED THE FILE, TAPPED SUBMIT, BUT IT DID NOT APPEAR IN THE TEXT WINDOW). I was trying to change the port number but I could not find where to change it for the SMTP Server

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:32 pm 

please disregard all current discussion regarding this topic. I have made a mistake inputting content for another topic that I am having. My apologies to BD Aqua

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2016 8:23 pm 
Master

That's fine :) This forum has never worked very hard to stay on-topic.

- Anonymous